Bolt through, why is it better?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

canthearyou

Bolt through, why is it better?

Post by canthearyou » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:49 am

Okay, the nickel plated bolt through kit for xigmatek looks nice and the stock 775 clips look a bit tricky, but why is it better than using the clips? The clip contraption looks flaky and the manual says you must lock two at a time, so is the bolt through easier to install? It looks like it would be easier to remove in order to replace the heat sink.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:36 pm

contact between the heatsink base and the IHS on the CPU is way more important than how easy it is to pull off.

besides, if you get a top notch heatsink and you use a bolt through kit on it, why would you be worried about swapping it out for something else?

the one way around the ease of removal (i guess you'd call it that) would be to use a socket 478 adapter on your motherboard and then the 478 mounting clips on the heatsink. that's about as close as you get to having something that's ease to remove and provides good contact. but that just defeats the purpose of having LGA775 with bolt-thru mounting.

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:11 pm

My xigmatek had a bit of clear fluid on the top vane and while it wiped off easily, I'm a little worried a pipe might have leaked. If I go ahead and build this weekend before I've heard back from xigmatek and it does have a leak, I'd have to remove and replace.

I was generally interested in the advantages of bolt through as well. It looks very sturdy.

I've read some people mount the cross brace without removing the adhesive cover to keep the mainboard clean and facilitate removal. I think the adhesive might help with assembly...so you won't need a third hand to hold it on while attaching the heat sink.

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:15 pm

I think besides probably better contact, there is also a more secure feeling when it is bolted through. You *know* that puppy ain't going nowhere!

AVT

Post by AVT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:14 pm

Two reasons.

#1, it's more securely installed, and a much lower chance of it ever falling off, say, if you're transporting the case somewhere, and causing damage.

#2, higher pressure on your CPU, causes better contact, and better flow of heat.