Thermaltake SpinQ - Astonished

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gojira-X

Thermaltake SpinQ - Astonished

Post by Gojira-X » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 am

Sometime in 2006, I thought that it'd be a laugh to sign up to the Thermaltake email newsletter. True to word, the Thermaltake newsletter has in the past provided humour in the form of Engrish marketing sound bites interspersed with interesting takes on component technology.

Occasionally, something comes out of their lab that you think cannot possibly work as intended. That leads me to today's offering- the Thermaltake SpinQ.
It looks more like an ornament, than a CPU cooler!

When I look at the air flowing through it, initially I think that it won't work, but when I look again, It starts to make sense. Its crazy!

What do you guys think?

DISCLAIMER: Gojira-X aka Nik Mistry does not work for Thermaltake or any of their affiliates. :shock:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 am

Hi,

If the fan is quiet, then it has a chance.

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 am

If not quiet, it may make for an adequate cheese grater?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:30 am

the basic design of this heatsink is very similar to the Coolermaster Eclipse, which has been on the market for over 2 years. a couple more heatpipes and the gimmicky fin design is all the difference.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:46 am

When sales drop, copy someone else's design and add LED's and sharp edges!!!!

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:02 am

Not so much of fin area. I think that fin area is one of the most important aspect of cooler design...

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:35 am

Looking at it I think it could work....
It could be quiet, after all the "fan speed" is "0.45A" with "Max. Air Flow" of "5.4 W." That's quiet isn't it? :wink:
More seriously the fan is listed as 80mm diameter so at the lower 1000rpm fan speed the blades won't be moving very fast. I wouldn't write it off until it's been tested somewhere reputable.
Regards, Seb

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:32 am

Even if its slow speed 80mm fan, if its poor bearings, then the bearing growl etc might be a problem. There really is hard to find better fan than Nexus when you consider motor sound and bearing sound. Scythe Slipstream are other fans that come in my mind.

Soundquality is very important aswell, not just speed... If that has good sound quality and not tonal or much extra side noises, it might be a good HeatSink... I've just learned to stay away from all big coolers that has integrated fans...

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:23 pm

The idea looks as though it would work ok but if the fan is noisy , squirrel wheel fans are very hard to replace .