Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and am2 problem

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hughl

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and am2 problem

Post by Hughl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:20 am

Hello there, I found this sight a while ago whilst trying to figure out how to build a quiet pc. Anyway, I have bought components that have been recommended by the site but unfortunately I have hit a problem.

I got hold of a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 but I cannot use it due to the way it is orientated when installed. It covers the first 2 ram slots so now I cannot use my ram in dual channel mode. (I got OCZ reaper ram which is why they will not fit underneath the heatsink).

Is there any way of orientating it vertically so it will not cover these slots? Is there some sort of extra 'piece' that I can buy to do this?

Failing that I guess I will have to buy another heatsink which I do not really want to do.

Thanks for you help.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:00 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Maybe some sort of bolt thru method if you have holes on board...

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:14 am

As far as i know, there is no known method of attaching the S1283 in a vertical orientation on a AMD board.

There is no commercial "conversion" product so far and DIY would be very involved (meaning you would need to have access to a CNC metal mill, okay maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration)

Thermalright has AM2/S939 bolt through kits, but because of the way heatpipes are positionned on the heatsinks, it still cannot be installed in the right orientation. There is also a S-Clip that enabled people to bolt-through thermalright heatsink the right way on a AM2 socket, but it does not seem to be compatible with any other brand.

Because of the heatpipes, a simple blot-throught would not be easy to make. You would actually need to replicate the thermalright S-clip design, but in a way that is compatible with the S1283 and the AM2 socket holes in the motherboard (hence the CNC mill :-) )

The only HDT cooler that can be installed in a vertical orientation so far on the AM2 platform is the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. Do a search on the forum for other threads on this subject.

Hope it helps and happy tinkering !

Hughl

Post by Hughl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:57 am

I see, oh well I'll have to chuck it on ebay. I have had a quick search for the sunbeam and there are not many available in the UK.

I may have to look into getting a thermalright one with a bolt through kit. Are there any other good heatsinks that would suit my situation? I know the noctua one would work but I'm not willing to pay the asking price.

Thanks.

Hughl

Post by Hughl » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am

Just did a bit of reading on the forum and seems as tho Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer is the only correctly mounting heatsink. I found it in stock somewhere so will purchase that.

peerke

Post by peerke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:28 pm

psymanproductions

Post by psymanproductions » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:08 pm

hmm, if its only a cm or 2 you could try bending the heatpipe/fins attatched to the ram