Thermalright HR-01 3U = Scythe Ninja Mini Killer?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trandy1001

Thermalright HR-01 3U = Scythe Ninja Mini Killer?

Post by trandy1001 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Ok, maybe not, but it could be a contender. A tower cooler with similar dimensions.

Less pipes and surface area but more solid construction. As I remeber the HR-01 was beaten by the Ninja, but seemed to do better in a lower airflow environment.

The smaller profile might also help it slip into those hard to reach places.

Might be an interesting match up.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:24 am

Thermalright HR-01 3U
"Compatability: Intel Xeon : 5000 Series,7000 Series. (Socket 603,Socket 604,Socket 771)"

Being only for Xeon sockets I don't see it as a Minja "killer".

A 2U socket AM2+LGA775 version would be great, I think.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:34 am

Socket 771 is pretty similar to Socket 775 so one could with slight or no modding get it to work, but who's gonna pay for that unless they have something it really works with guaranteed?

I had a look at that heat sink... Duh it's only aluminium. I checked what else does Thermalright make... Duh they have VERY FEW copper coolers and their TRUE copper heatsink weighs around 1.9Kg which is OVERKILL. And their VGA copper cooler doesn't look as promising as other solutions.

Thermalright doesn't seem to be producing so exciting coolers like others do...

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:04 am

Um, the base and heatpipes are copper and only the fins are aluminium, like 99% of heatpipe coolers...

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:13 am

LodeHacker wrote:Socket 771 is pretty similar to Socket 775 so one could with slight or no modding get it to work, but who's gonna pay for that unless they have something it really works with guaranteed?

I had a look at that heat sink... Duh it's only aluminium. I checked what else does Thermalright make... Duh they have VERY FEW copper coolers and their TRUE copper heatsink weighs around 1.9Kg which is OVERKILL. And their VGA copper cooler doesn't look as promising as other solutions.

Thermalright doesn't seem to be producing so exciting coolers like others do...
The technical drawing on their website shows the base is identical to their other coolers, so with the correct bolt-thru kit it will work on any platform.

And by what measure are you saying Thermalright isn't producing exciting coolers? The Ultra-120, and then the Ultra-120 extreme were the best coolers on the market up until recently. The HR-03 design continues to perform (in reviews) as the best air cooling solution on the market.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:13 am

I was wrong. You seem to be right, the base is copper but nickel plated. But then again, why? It looks ugly, copper would make it look richer :)
EDIT: By what measure? I never heard of Thermalright before in the CPU cooling scene. Just like Antec P180 is the most discussed case, the Scythe Ninja and ZALMAN CNPS-7000 are surely one of the most discussed CPU coolers. And I used my own "cool" factor to measure the excitement :) But think about it this way: Intel lists 450g weight for a cooler to be safe, why did Thermalright go extreme with a near 2kg cooler? Doesn't make sense to me.

NTNgod

Post by NTNgod » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:10 pm

LodeHacker wrote:I never heard of Thermalright before in the CPU cooling scene.
:shock:

They've been around a fairly long time in the cooling segment, with a number of high-profile models over the years (at least going back to the days of Socket A - I've still got an SK-6 floating around here somewhere); that's almost equivalent to saying you've never heard of AMD processors or Seagate hard drives.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:16 pm

LodeHacker wrote:But think about it this way: Intel lists 450g weight for a cooler to be safe, why did Thermalright go extreme with a near 2kg cooler? Doesn't make sense to me.
Because they're trying to sell them to the totally clueless spoilt gamer kiddies who have their parents buy them anything they want.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 pm

LodeHacker wrote:the base is copper but nickel plated. But then again, why? It looks ugly, copper would make it look richer :)
I prefer the nickel plated look aesthetically, but also remember that over time copper tarnishes when exposed to the air. If you have ever lifted floorboards and seen old unpainted copper pipes you will know what a dull brown colour it becomes. Thermalright coolers are built to last, I guess they want the finish to last too.
why did Thermalright go extreme with a near 2kg cooler? Doesn't make sense to me.
See Monkeh16's answer above :) but also consider that the non-copper version is "only" 790g and performs almost as well. The copper version was only a limited edition, a vanity project almost.

Strid

Post by Strid » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:50 am

:shock: You've been spending way too much time in the Finnish saunas I guess. :lol:

The ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme is definitely one of them most discussed and reputable coolers at the moment. One of the best air coolers. And the TR HR-01 Plus is one of the top low air flow coolers.
Zalman doesn't get much attention on this forum anymore.

But to get back on track. I'm almost 100% sure, that the HR-01 3U will fit a socket 775 with a standard socket 775 mounting kit. 775 and 771 are not much different. I'd like to see it with my own eyes, though.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Strid wrote:
:shock: You've been spending way too much time in the Finnish saunas I guess. :lol:
There was time when I thought Thermalright was subsdiary of Thermaltake... ^.~ we are to be many... and Nothing wrong in sauna, I recomend that whole heartly to you ^^

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:38 am

I like Thermalright because they make a quality product and sell it successfully without resorting to gimmicky and boyish marketing techniques. Their plain brown cardboard packaging is excellent presentation: let the product speak for itself. I can do without all the ridiculous cartoon/anime/mythological characters thank you.

Concerning the weight, Thermalright is not the only company that goes heavy on the motherboard. Scythe, Noctua, Zalman all have some heavy coolers also. Anything 600g+ without a fan starts to get worrisome.

It seems that whatever ends up top of SPCR's recommended lists is the one that people want to rush out and get for their system. Whether or not something is the "killer" of something else, you should do your own research and find out what product suits your system and needs best. It may not be "the top of the chart" item; it may not even be on the recommended list.

After all, it is a guide. Not a "You must buy this or you are not one of us!" lists. At least, I hope not :roll: .

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:14 am

Shamgar wrote:I like Thermalright because they make a quality product and sell it successfully without resorting to gimmicky and boyish marketing techniques. Their plain brown cardboard packaging is excellent presentation: let the product speak for itself. I can do without all the ridiculous cartoon/anime/mythological characters thank you.
And thats how it should be.
Also the unbleached brown cardboard box is enviromentally friendly.

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:42 pm

You've never heard of ThermalRight before? Wow. I bought an XP120 almost four years ago.

They aren't just some two-bit CPU cooler maker, they are *the best* CPU cooler maker!