Scythe SHURIKEN vs Coolermaster Gemini II in Antec NSK 2480

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Andy S

Scythe SHURIKEN vs Coolermaster Gemini II in Antec NSK 2480

Post by Andy S » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm putting together a new HTPC and am trying to decide on a heatsink. I'm going to be running:

Asus P5N7A-VM
Intel E8500
Antec NSK 2480 w/included PS

Trying to narrow it down on heat sinks. I think a Shuriken or a Gemini II would work, but I'm a bit concerned about the height of the Gemini not allowing enough air flow into the top of the fan. I might be able to run it fanless, but I don't know.

Obviously low noise is important.

Recommendations? Either of these, or something else?

Thanks.

kieran45

Post by kieran45 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:44 pm

From what I have seen, the PWM fan with the shuriken doesn't play nice with that mobo. I have one, and it can sometimes go flaky and stop. I now have the fan connected to a molex instead and it is fine, but no temp controls that way. For a 2480 you can't go past a mini ninja, maybe not passive with a e8500, but it might manage it.

Andy S

Post by Andy S » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 am

kieran45 wrote:From what I have seen, the PWM fan with the shuriken doesn't play nice with that mobo. I have one, and it can sometimes go flaky and stop. I now have the fan connected to a molex instead and it is fine, but no temp controls that way.
Thanks for that info. Good to know.
For a 2480 you can't go past a mini ninja, maybe not passive with a e8500, but it might manage it.
You mean you can't go bigger than a Mini Ninja? If that's true, the Gemini II seems to be shorter at least (62mm Gemini II vs 115 mm Mini Ninja), so would be a good option? The big concern I had with the Gemini II was enough air flow above the fan.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:07 am

I have an E8500 in an NSK-2480 being cooled by a Mini Ninja and the only fans I have are the case fans. It stays extremely cool.

Andy S

Post by Andy S » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 am

yamahaSHO, that looks promising. What types of temps do you see? What 120mm fans are those?

I don't expect to be maxing the CPU out much. Probably capturing multiple (2-3) HD TV streams or ripping a DVD will be about the highest use it will get.

I also don't expect to put a graphics card in the box. I do have an 8800GTS that might go in if I decide to see what a game might look like on the big TV, but I really don't foresee doing that at this point.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 am

During normal operation, the temps probably stay in the 30's. I think I may have maxed it out at 50C. It's been a while since I've tested it all. I don't think you could over heat the CPU in the setup unless you were pumping in 140F degree air from the get go.

The fans are Scythe SlipStreams (1,200 RPM) running at 5v.