temps i7 920 with new cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:43 am

I really think the problem is the low airflow through the heatsink, not the heatsink itself or the memory or anything like that. I discovered that when I first got my 920 - it's just a damn hot CPU when running at full tilt. I've got a TRUE with a Scythe 120*38mm fan, and even with that fan running at 1500 RPM, I'm still getting CPU temps of 63-65c, with an ambient of approximately 18c (not controlled at all) *with the side off the case*. I'm at a LAN right now, so the case side stays off as a matter of course, it's too noisy to hear anyway :). That's with Turboboost enabled, so in effect my CPU is at 2800mhz.

The fan is voltage controlled by my motherboard, so while idle at ~ 900rpm it's fairly quiet (although nowhere near as quiet as a Nexus PWM I tried with the sink too), and it very rarely speeds up under non-benchmark/heating tools.

I'd also take a moment to point out that most "1600mhz" RAM actually achieves that speed by over-volting the RAM, so the OPs RAM "requiring" 1.65v to be stable is actually perfectly in spec. Chances are it's specced to run at 1066mhz at i7-stock voltages perfectly happily. The 1600mhz EPP setting is absolutely approved for use by the i7, but it does mean higher voltages on the RAM and QPI.

ATWindsor

Post by ATWindsor » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:27 am

Goldy wrote:Ok, i have lapped my cpu and heatsink, what a job pfff....costs a lost of time.
Temps were again going down from 70 to 66 load, so 4 degrees profit, i hoped a little bit more but that's it.
Almost happy, have the feeling that i will change this nexus real silent fan for an scythe s-flex 1600 rpm that it will do the job even better.
Let the s-flex run idle around 700 rpm, do you guys have experience with the s-flex fans, are they quiet enough ?
That's a good result you have Atwinsor with the prolima @ 600 rpm, do you have it also @ 600 rpm at full load ?
And indeed, mabye the airflow in my case isn's the best , i will check this out as you said AMe. I do have the filter before the intake fan, i will take this out and i suppose you mean by modding to make 1 big hole instead of al the little holes which are now in the case behind the filter....?
I guess i will set it up to maybe spin up around 70 degrees, and have it at 600 rpm before that. According to coretemp 70 degrees in speedfan is 16 degrees below tmax. At the moment though i run the fan at higher speed, as i am waiting for for NB-cooler, I can run a PC where the NB reaches 110 C+

I did the testing with the folowing fans.

1 Fan in bottom chamber on 5V (nexus)
1 Fan at 400 rpm attached to a Acclero s1 on a 4770 (apparantly i went abit overboard on cooling on the GPU, the temp is very low even on full load)
1 Fan at 5V (nexus) at the back of the case (by the CPU-cooler)
1. Fan at 600 rpm on the CPU.

AtW

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 pm

Ok,

I have done some testing again :
With the side of the case off the temps were about 4 degrees lower, so 61 degrees was the max. under full load.
I get the same result as i set all the fans on full speed in the case (with the case closed offcourse)
But that's me to loud, i have 3 casefans ,nexus intake en back running 1000 rpm and 1 noctua running 1300rpm ( topfan).
Ok that would be a profit of 4 degrees but is it worth the extra loudness, i say no.
I think the airflow isn't that bad in my case.
I just ordered other memory ( corsair 1333mhz running on 1.5V ) and 1 scythe s-flex F (1600rpm) and 1 scythe slipstream 1200 rpm.
Maybe the extra speedfan (cfm) will do something with the temperature, we will see.
If i have the new fans i will try them and give you again my results.

kaange

Post by kaange » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:10 am

Goldy wrote:If not needed i prefer not to undervolt, but it is an option when things will not work out.
Unless you plan to overclock, why not undervolt? As ATWindsor pointed out, you can reduce the power consumption by significant amounts.

Also, why are you running such high speed memory if you aren't overclocking? The cost/benefit ratio is rather poor IME.

green

Post by green » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 am

kaange wrote:Unless you plan to overclock, why not undervolt? As ATWindsor pointed out, you can reduce the power consumption by significant amounts.
agreed with undervolting
got mine on vcore ~0.91875v and pll 1.3v
idling are 39c according to realtemp
prime95 + linpack for 1 hour = 64C max (~60C avg)
based on 20c ambient though

this is on stock intel cooler with stock tim
looking to get better cooler to bring top-end temp down a lot of notches

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 am

Ok, got my new memory,s-flex 1600rpm and slipstream 1200 rpm.
Installed the memory and the s-flex 1600 rpm.
Let the fan run around 700 rpm idle.
It didn't do very much but temps were again going down with 2 degrees.
Today it was a very hot day here and the ambient temp. was 24 degrees.
Max. load temps after 30 minutes prime were 68 degrees.
I did with i could do and the temps in the beginning were around 78 degrees, so a 10 degrees profit with lapping the cpu+heatsink, another fan install and memory which is running on 1,5V.
I am not totally satisfied but i can live with this temps :)

And the memory i had, to answer your question, was coming with the pc i bought. I knew it was overkill for me ...

And undervolting would be a solution to, i agree.
But i had the idea that the temps. with normal settings could be arranged by not undervolting.

I would like to thank everybody for the help, it's a great forum with a lot of info and very quick replys from all you guys.

Ven

Post by Ven » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:24 am

These temps look really good.
Do you think that lapping would help me a lot too?
i7 + Megahelms + S-Flex @ 1200RPM now + IC Diamond + Raven, no ducts so far
Prolimatech guys claim that the base of their heatsink matches IHS surface, but I don't really know how good it is and IHS lapping sounds a little scary to me. I'm also a little disappointed with ASUS Rampage II Extreme fans control. CPU fan speed is set only by 4th pin and software control for the rest of the fan connectors doesn't work that well (but I haven't tried all of them yet). Their software for fans control Fan XPert is a joke, SpeedFan doesn't like this mobo too. Would you suggest looking for external software-adjusted fan controllers?

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:45 am

I'm running a Core i7 920 OCed to 4.0 GHz using a Megahalems with a Thermalright 1600rpm FDB fan at 12v and Arctic Silver 5, running my Corsair Dominator 1600 RAM at 1.65v

Case is a Lian Li PC-X500 which is a closed case for the most part except for some slit vents on the front. Has two 120mm case fans in the front and one 120mm fan in the rear, running all three at 5V

Living in San Diego and ambient temps in my room right now during summer can get up to 32C

I idle at 50C and load at 60-70, and that's running at 4.0GHz which generates a lot of extra heat.

This system is pretty darn quiet, the only thing I can hear is the dumb Modu82+ and it's crappy fan.

I say go for the Megahalems(I tried a TRUE 120 before the Mega and IMO the Mega is far superior.) and a higher RPM fan that is known to be quiet.

BruceMellen

Asus Fan Xpert

Post by BruceMellen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Ven wrote:These temps look really good.
Do you think that lapping would help me a lot too?
i7 + Megahelms + S-Flex @ 1200RPM now + IC Diamond + Raven, no ducts so far
Prolimatech guys claim that the base of their heatsink matches IHS surface, but I don't really know how good it is and IHS lapping sounds a little scary to me. I'm also a little disappointed with ASUS Rampage II Extreme fans control. CPU fan speed is set only by 4th pin and software control for the rest of the fan connectors doesn't work that well (but I haven't tried all of them yet). Their software for fans control Fan XPert is a joke, SpeedFan doesn't like this mobo too. Would you suggest looking for external software-adjusted fan controllers?
I would encourage you to tell us the details of your experience with Fan Xpert - make some suggestions on what needs to be improved...
See my more detailed posting elsewhere in the forum