Scythe Heatsinks and AM2/+/3 rotation

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Scythe Heatsinks and AM2/+/3 rotation

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:55 am

I received yesterday a Scythe Zipang, which I bought in a spur of a moment, due it cost me around 30€'s with P&H instead regular 45-49€'s of Heatsink and + 9-10€'s of P&H. Si I got it half price.

I haven't yest installed it instead Arctic Cooling Alpine 7 that is currently cooling on my X2 4000+ and in Autumn perhaps Regor based Dual core.

But in my initial check, it seemed like the attachment of Zipang seemed standard on many current Scythe Line up. Its bit different of Ninja Rev. B's in fact that Ninja's attachment could never be rotated since base and attachment for AMD was asymmertrical. Zipang's isn't so you can freely rotate the Zipang on AMD sockets.

Now this made me thing is that similar possibility is available on other Scythe coolers, like Mugen 2 and Kabuto etc Scythe's Higher end coolers. I've tried to look reviews but for some weird reason most of the reviews are made with Intel test bed or if its AMD test bed they do not mention ability to rotate heatsink...

If you have Scythe cooler which allows 90 degree rotation in AMD socet, please report that in here. Its valuable information since AMD rotation heatsinks are rare.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:42 am

Ninja 2 is one way only, with the fins of the small heatsink aligned with the mounting lugs. (Opposite of how I would want it, since it blocks airflow to the voltage regulators.)

Cheers
Olle

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:25 am

Thank you very much Olle for precious information.

About Zipang rotation:
Zipangs installation so that lugs are same side with heat pipes is possible, but is very hard. It is recomended that motherboard is out of case then, as 2nd slug cannot be adjusted as lower set of heatpipes will press it against making it impossible to fully open slug. There fore that side must be hooked on retention kit first. That is only way to install cooler that way if you want or need to install it that way. When attached on retention kit, slug is no longer touching the heat pipes and opposite side heat pipes give more than enough clearing for the first slug, making possible to hook first slug after 2nd one is already secured

But rotation is possible, even bit hard but possible and doable.

toNka

Post by toNka » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:00 am

This could be a very valuable thread.
On a bi-directional heatsink (best heat sinks on SPCR) the ability to rotate it and socket position can be critical to performance.
I just bought a new AM3 board and the socket is North/South.
On a bi-directional cooler that means blowing heat up into your PSU or top exhaust or blowing down on to your video card.
If your case has a top exhaust with the PSU at the bottom (Antec P180 style) that may be fine but if you have a Silverstone Fortress FT01 with a top intake your screwed.
The Scythe Kama Angle seems to be the best bet for AM3 right now.