Cooling an LGA1156 in a Solo with Thermalright

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oldabelincoln

Cooling an LGA1156 in a Solo with Thermalright

Post by oldabelincoln » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:49 pm

I've read here and elsewhere that a Thermalright TRUE doesn't quite fit with an LGA 775 board in a Solo case, because of the case's crossbar under the PSU.

Accordingly, I used an HR01+ in building a system with a Q9300 on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P in a Solo case (the system in the sig); It works fine, and the HR01+ fit easily in the Solo. It's a great heatsink that I'd like to use in future builds.

I'm looking now at building a system for a relative, and haven't decided much more than it will use a Solo case and have a fast processor - he's a photographer who does a lot of RAW conversions, and is compute bound, so a significant CPU heatsink is in order. Naturally, I'm looking at the LGA 1156 CPUs just now released, but I'm shy of information on how well the usual heatsink suspects play with the LGA 1156 boards.

The P55 boards are out for all of a full day, so, of course, only review sites have much by way of operational details - like dimensions, or what fits what.

As Thermalright has not yet updated their product pages, I don't know if they plan on an HR01+ for LGA 1156. On the other hand, the 1156 socket appears (in review photos) to be positioned a little bit down from where the 775 socket is/was, and it's possible that if that is indeed the case, the inevitable TRUE for 1156 might fit in a Solo.

Has anyone any information that would help resolve this issue? Thermalright intentions for HR01+? P55 board measurements to the socket found in a review? Intel socket placement specs?

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Thermalright will apaprently be releasing a 1156 bolt through kit, which should allow their earlier heatsinks to work with the new socket.

Also, I am aware of two other heatsinks that might work well for the 1156 platform.

Noctua has re-released another version of the NH-U12P SE with a 1156 compatible mount.

Also, the Prolimatech Mega Shadow (basically a black version of the Megahalems) is also 1156-compatible.

Both of these heatsinks were rated highly in SCPR's reviews of their respective earlier versions.