Recommended replacement for AM2 stock cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mfeller

Recommended replacement for AM2 stock cooler?

Post by mfeller » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:27 am

I recently put a AMD x4 3GHz 95W CPU into a new system. I am using the stock fan, and at low speed, it a barely audible rush of sound that is easy to ignore. When it spins up briefly for higher CPU usage, it is also easy to ignore if it goes back down relatively quickly. It's in a way audible feedback that the CPU is doing some work. I have two issues in that one, if I have a large workload that keeps the fan at higher RPM, *then* it becomes intrusive and annoying. Also, sometimes, it takes a LONG time to spin back down.

I have a Biostar uATX motherboard, and it doesn't seem like there is a lot of real estate around the CPU socket for a fan/heatsink larger than the stock cooler. My case is an Antec P180, so there should be no size constraints there.

Given the above description of what I can tolerate and what specifically bothers me about the stock fan, where should I start looking on the SPCR list? I know that the more expensive options can get me closer to complete silence, but are there lower cost options that hit my tolerance level, are better for spinning up and cooling down, and fit my motherboard?

Thanks!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:15 am

Noctua tower is good, albeit expensive choice as you can rotate cooler around socket even in AM2.

Sunbeam CoreContact Freezer is Xigmatek clone and adjusts so fan is right side towards the exhaust.

Scythe Mugen2 would be worthy candidate with excellent fan.

All modern CPU tower coolers usually have no problems with Mainboard clearance. Noctua tower has good clearance as its bottom fins begin relatively high and heatpipes are arranged so that it has small foot print around socket.

Most Xigmatek coolers have small footprint too but not too many really orientate rightway for AMD's (if socket srews are up and down like 3/4 of mainboards have these days.

EekTheCat

Post by EekTheCat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 pm

I built a Biostar uATX system (790GX XE) and can say that Zerotherm FZ120 does allow enough clearance for NB heatsink and (standard height) DIMM in slot 1. It orientates correctly too.