Any LGA 1156 HSF's?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Eagle156

Any LGA 1156 HSF's?

Post by Eagle156 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:01 am

Are there any good quiet HSF's out for this platform yet? I couldn't find any, including adapters.

Kaleid

Post by Kaleid » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:11 am

tima

Post by tima » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 am

Kaleid wrote:Cooler master 212+ seems good:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... eview.html
+1 on the Hyper212 Plus. Installation was easy, and while it does have a backplate, at least it doesn't involve gluing it to the motherboard. I feared it would be too tall, but it fit OK in my P182 with thick AcoustiPack in the side panel. The tops of the heat pipes do touch the AcoustiPack, but they don't interfere with the panel significantly; that said, I am a little more careful to minimize sliding when I remove/replace the panel. Cooling seems to be great; I have an i5 750, and at idle, it's below 30C at 650 RPM, and at load, it's around 50C at 1200 RPM on the CPU fan. I can hear it ramp up, but it's not too objectionable. Also, I have some room to play with the ramping curve, which I haven't yet done; it's ASUS "standard" for now on my P7P55D Pro. Concerning the latter, I believe I'm getting some coil whine from it. I've disabled C1E in the BIOS, so hopefully that will solve it.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:51 am

Well if you believe some of the posts in this forum the Xigmatek 1283 will fit with the appropriate installation kit.

cordis

here

Post by cordis » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:01 am

The Zalman cnps 10x extreme fits 1156 and has been reviewed on this site, and it got decent marks.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:59 pm

Prolimatech Mega Shadow (black version of the Megahalems essentially - also reviewed on this site) is also apparently LGA-1156 compatible.

Eagle156

Post by Eagle156 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks all. I think I will go with the Hyper212. Now if only I could find it in a reputable etailer...

Kimi

Post by Kimi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:41 am

I see that you want a quiet CPU cooler. Then you need a cooler that performs very well at low rpm or even fanless. Most of the coolers recomended above suck at low rpm (except the Mega Shadow).

First of all, the Hyper 212 Plus it's a joke. HDT it's bullshit and you'll need a powerfull and noisy fan to keep the temperatures low (depends also on CPU's TDP).

If you want something really good at low rpm take a look at Megahalems/Mega Shadow, Noctua NH-U12P, Cooler Master Z600 and Scythe Ninja 2. The last two perform very good in fanless mode if there's an acceptable airflow in the case.

It would be better if you specify what CPU you have.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:00 pm

Kimi wrote:HDT it's bullshit and you'll need a powerfull and noisy fan to keep the temperatures low (depends also on CPU's TDP).
This is a rather confusing comment.

This

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks

and this

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article818-page1.html

seem to suggest different to what you just said. Maybe you could school us?

Given that the OP is asking for an LGA1156 HSF the question of CPU TDP is fairly well defined, isn't it?

Kimi

Post by Kimi » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:36 pm

nutball wrote:
Kimi wrote:HDT it's bullshit and you'll need a powerfull and noisy fan to keep the temperatures low (depends also on CPU's TDP).
This is a rather confusing comment.

This

and this

seem to suggest different to what you just said. Maybe you could school us?
Those Xigmateks performed good due to the unfair methodology. That CPU's low TDP doesn't cause any problems to any CPU cooler. And comparing them with True at low rpm?! What?! Everyone knows that True's arhitecture is designed to perform good at high rpm (lower fin distance). Compare them again with a silent aimed cooler (CM Z600, Ninja 2 with larger fin distance) using a 150W TDP CPU but don't compare them with True at low rpm OMG!
nutball wrote:Given that the OP is asking for an LGA1156 HSF the question of CPU TDP is fairly well defined, isn't it?
Not really. The TDP depends on CPU frequency and (especially) voltage. He didn't mention which model and what frequency and voltage will be using. IF the CPU's TDP will be low then a decent HDT cooler won't be a problem BUT as TDP rises the HDT coolers begin to fail due to their poorly designed architecture. This "HDT technology" is nothing more than a marketing "weapon" overrated by many websites (not all of them!).

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 pm

OK that tells me everything I need to know. Thanks.

Eagle156

Post by Eagle156 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:47 pm

tima wrote:
Kaleid wrote:Cooler master 212+ seems good:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... eview.html
+1 on the Hyper212 Plus. Installation was easy, and while it does have a backplate, at least it doesn't involve gluing it to the motherboard. I feared it would be too tall, but it fit OK in my P182 with thick AcoustiPack in the side panel. The tops of the heat pipes do touch the AcoustiPack, but they don't interfere with the panel significantly; that said, I am a little more careful to minimize sliding when I remove/replace the panel. Cooling seems to be great; I have an i5 750, and at idle, it's below 30C at 650 RPM, and at load, it's around 50C at 1200 RPM on the CPU fan. I can hear it ramp up, but it's not too objectionable. Also, I have some room to play with the ramping curve, which I haven't yet done; it's ASUS "standard" for now on my P7P55D Pro. Concerning the latter, I believe I'm getting some coil whine from it. I've disabled C1E in the BIOS, so hopefully that will solve it.
Are you using the stock fan that came with the HSF?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Mounting kits will be on the shelves soon for your favorite heatsinks.

Xigmatek's seems to be available in Australia. :D

Thermalright'spriced on their site...don't know if it can be found, yet.

tima

Post by tima » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Eagle156 wrote:
tima wrote: +1 on the Hyper212 Plus. <snip>
Are you using the stock fan that came with the HSF?
Yep.

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:37 am

Kimi wrote:Those Xigmateks performed good due to the unfair methodology. That CPU's low TDP doesn't cause any problems to any CPU cooler. And comparing them with True at low rpm?! What?! Everyone knows that True's arhitecture is designed to perform good at high rpm (lower fin distance). Compare them again with a silent aimed cooler (CM Z600, Ninja 2 with larger fin distance) using a 150W TDP CPU but don't compare them with True at low rpm OMG!

Not really. The TDP depends on CPU frequency and (especially) voltage. He didn't mention which model and what frequency and voltage will be using. IF the CPU's TDP will be low then a decent HDT cooler won't be a problem BUT as TDP rises the HDT coolers begin to fail due to their poorly designed architecture. This "HDT technology" is nothing more than a marketing "weapon" overrated by many websites (not all of them!).
Wow. Perhaps you want to do a little more reading around here.

Eagle156

Post by Eagle156 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:07 am

Ok so I got the 212+. It seems to cool very well. Only problem is the fan is extremely annoying. Even at 800rpm it has this really high pitched annoying bearing sound. I thought it was electrical noise from my power supply at first but I narrowed it down to the fan. The noise just gets louder and louder the higher the RPM. So now I need a good, quiet heatsink fan that is PWM. Any ideas?

tima

Post by tima » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Eagle156 wrote:Ok so I got the 212+. It seems to cool very well. Only problem is the fan is extremely annoying. Even at 800rpm it has this really high pitched annoying bearing sound. I thought it was electrical noise from my power supply at first but I narrowed it down to the fan. The noise just gets louder and louder the higher the RPM. So now I need a good, quiet heatsink fan that is PWM. Any ideas?
Maybe see if Cooler Master will replace it? Mine is not bad at all, and IME, fans vary greatly in quality. I recently gave a Scythe S-Flex another try as a case fan, and I had to get rid of it as it made an oscillating whine when undervolted, just like it did when I tried it a year ago. I actually have two of them that do this. They also don't push much air. I replaced it with a Noctua this time, but I've also had good success with Scythe Slipstreams, though there are many who say they aren't reliable.

About 120mm PWM fans. I recently ordered two Gelids, and in testing, one of them wouldn't start off the CPU fan header, which made the Cooler Master fan spin fast, and the other spun at a very low speed. Not sure what's up with them.

Beebee

HR01

Post by Beebee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:37 am

Hi All Thermalright dosen't seem to offer a 1156 adaptor for the HR01. The LGA1156 Bolt-Thru Mounting Kit for the 120 looks like it should work but the HR01 isn't mentioned in the blurb. Can anyone enlighten me as to any problems Regards david

Telamon
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Telamon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 am

Looks like Newegg has Xigmatek's socket 1156 compatible mounting kits in now too.

ACK-i5361

ACK-i5363