60->80 fan adapters?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hanu

60->80 fan adapters?

Post by Hanu » Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:07 am

How do they perform? MY Volcano 6cu has a "31 dBA, 32 CFM" 60mm fan, but after some research I've come to the conclusion that the fan is actually only 21 CFM and is spinning at 5400 RPM (!). So, I was wondering if a 19 dBA, 26.5 CFM fan spinning at 2050 RPM would be much quieter and also provide much more effective cooling. But my concern is the adapter:
I've read very mixed things about these adapters. Some say they work GREAT, some say they don't work at all. I'd really like to just get an adapter and a new fan instead of a new heatsink, mainly because I'm afraid I don't have the skills for changing a HS (I should remove the mobo, carefully uninstall it, clean it, put new grease on the CPU and very carefully install the new HS :shock:).

Anyone have any experience with these adapters? In theory, moving from a 21 CFM fan to a 26 CFM fan would decrease temps and it should also sound much quieter, but how's it in action?

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:44 am

I have ok experience w/ it. I had a cu volcano 7 that had a 72mm (?) fan on it. It was way too noise even on the low speed setting. I use a 60 to 80 fan adaptor with a low speed NMB fan. The temp was better the low speed setting by a 1 or 2 C. The was quieter than the low speed but not a quiet as it should because you are increasing pressure. There were air coming back around the side. If the preasure weren't so great, it would had better cooling and quieter.

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:19 pm

Thanks. What were the fans' specs? dBA? RPM? CFM?

bondiablo

Post by bondiablo » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:01 pm

Fan adapters don't work because of the resistance they create between the fan and the heatsink you end up needing a much faster fan just to get the same cooling as the 60mm fan alone. You'd be best off replacing the heatsink with one that was designed to be used with an 80mm or larger fan. Here's a good one at newegg for $7 and if it's still not quiet enough there are plenty other 80mm fans (NMB, Panaflo, etc...) you can try without having to remove the heatsink again.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.a ... 35-150-010

riffst3r

Post by riffst3r » Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:15 pm

i would think an angled adapter would be more effective than a 60->80 adapter.

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:00 pm

Hanu wrote:Thanks. What were the fans' specs? dBA? RPM? CFM?
Sorry, don't have the specs. It is the low RPM from SVC. It is model 3110KL-04W-B19 12V 0.06 A. At the end, I got slk-800a to replace the volcano 7 because I just couldn't deal with the temp. My cpu and load temp drop by 5C and it idles at 52C w/ the NMB. With a Silencer fan (.075A), I was able to drop it another degree or so. I think I can get to 45C w/ a Sunon but I don't want to deal with the noise.

madlee

Post by madlee » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:44 pm

I just bought the clear blue one from kdcomputer.com

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/pr ... ponent.htm

I bought this one because it was the cheapest..

I stuck a panaflo 80mm L on it.

It works fine and is much quieter.

however, I have a few warnings:

First, it doesn't come with any hardware, so attaching a fan will be a chore trying to find the right screws.

Secondly, the adapter is much thinner than the 60mm fan you'll be swapping out, so the screws that attach the stock fan to the heatsink (which you are removing) will now be too long.

I have noticed about a 2-3 degree (celcius) decrease in temperature in both the case and the CPU.

It does make a big difference in sound. I am running all fans in the case at 12v and although not silent, it is much quieter.

In the end, for all the hassle and trying to save money by not buying a SLK-800A it wasn't worth it...

Hanu

Post by Hanu » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:29 am

Damn, I guess I'll have to get a new heatsink then.:( I'm just worried about the installation...... especially the cleaning part.....

madlee

Post by madlee » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:48 am

yeah, that's why I didn't get the heatsink, but maybe instead, try this adapter..

this one says it comes with 2 sets of screws.. I suppose that this will work...

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/pr ... ponent.htm

besides, it's aluminum and just makes your heat sink bigger..

try that one and let me know..