Top-down cooler in stacker 831

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Blinky7

Top-down cooler in stacker 831

Post by Blinky7 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Hey guys, I got a stacker 831 case and at the moment I am using a Scythe Mugen (version 1) with an E6600 cpu. It does a decent job, but I don't like the fact that it barely fits inside with the sidepanel and also needs a fan removed to actually fit.

I am upgrading to i7 soon and am planning on changing the setup a little too. I am getting rid of the Mugen mostly because it does not support i7 without an additional bracket, and the mounting system also sux (it's a real pain to use those push-pins, I hate them....screws for the win!.....most of the time I am not even sure the cooler is sitting 100% correctly on the cpu).

So I am getting a new cooler for the i7 rig, and I am thinking of getting a top-down one. OK I know the tower coolers are the best for performance, but most of them dont fit well in the case. Moreover I am not looking for top performance. I want to hit 4ghz but not anymore than that, just decent cooling. And I am thinking that if I get a top-down cooler, not only I will be able to use all 4 fans on the sidepanel, but also the fan that will be right above the CPU will supply the cooler with fresh cold air from outside the case and this could benefit it enough to catch-up to the tower coolers.... What do you think?

Now, about top-down coolers available...there are not many decent choices as far as I've seen. The best ones seem to be :

1)Xilence Black hawk / Deepcool Killer whale (they seem to be the same cooler with different name)
2)Thermalright AXP-140

Both of them are not cheap, they are ~50 euros. Then there is Scythe Kabuto for 30 euros....which is worse but stil good enough I guess, but has the stupid push-pin system again....

I'd liek your opinion on if the sidepanel fan would really help or I should really stick with a tower cooler without the fan....

And then. if I go top-down, what do you think about the above choices? Any other suggestion?