BOSS 2 Cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

doveman

BOSS 2 Cooler

Post by doveman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 am

I don't know if anyone's seen this before but I thought it looked interesting http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=& ... genumber=4

As far as I can tell, it will work in a front-back orientation on AM3, which is good. Haven't checked out UK prices yet but it's meant to be fairly cheap.

Weldingheart

Alpenföhn Nordwand

Post by Weldingheart » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:15 pm

This review on xbitlabs is the German version of this heatsink from Alpenföhn,from page 2:

This image shows imprint of DHT with front-back/across mainboard heatsink orientation:
While this image is a manifest of the more effective surface contact of wrong/bottom-up orientation:
The left photo shows that the two outermost 8mm heat pipes don’t do anything actually. They can hardly get any heat through the 1.5mm aluminum partition from the adjacent pipes. The right photo shows a better picture, yet the outermost pipes are still utilized by only 30%.
and refer to page 3:
The cooler is 3-4°C better in this position than if you turn its heatsink by 90 degrees counterclockwise. The reason is obvious if you compare the prints of the CPU’s heat-spreader on the cooler’s base that have been shown above.
The Alpenföhn version is not so cheap... :)
The Alpenföhn Nordwand is manufactured in China and comes at a recommended price of $64.9. It has a 1 year warranty.
Something like HDT-S1283 is proven more effective unless CPU heatspeader would be enlarged just to accomodate 6 x 8mm heatpipe direct touch as next logical step :lol: .

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:47 am

Hi,

Three or four heatpipes are ideal -- five is a waste of effort/cost.

doveman

Post by doveman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:48 am

Thanks for the info. I was just looking around for cheap options for my Dad, who's not really "down" with the whole silence thing so would be hard to persuade to spend much :)

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:15 am

Hi, I few times on Scan's "Today only" section I've seen Xigmatech S963 cooler, today infact for £12.84 (plus del) It's normally around £15 but it seams like a good cooler. I got one on an E6600 CPU and even with modest fan speed it could cool it overclocked to 3GHz. [3 direct touch heatpipes, 92mm fan, not very heavy or tall]
The only “gotchaâ€

doveman

Post by doveman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks but that doesn't mention that it's compatible with AM3 (which is what my Dad has) and even if it is, it looks like it would mount the "wrong" way round.