Cooler for Core 2 Duo Mobile

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peterhjalmarsson

Cooler for Core 2 Duo Mobile

Post by peterhjalmarsson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 am

Anyone that can recommend a (preferrably passive) cooler for a Core 2 Duo Mobile?

The socket seems to be called "Socket P", "Socket M", "Micro FCPGA", or "Socket 478/479" (men does not seem to be the same as the good old P4), and I'm sure it goes by other names as well. The distance between the mounting holes is 42 mm or thereabout in both directions.

The MSI IM-GM45 motherbaord came with a Coolermaster EPN-41ELS-02-GP that sounds louder than my vacuum. Impressive enough of a 40mm fan to make that amount of sound, but not so fun to listen to. :-(

I'm looking foremost for something similar to the Coolermaster EPN-PBFSS-01-GP (sorry, but I'm not allowed to post links it seems), but it seems to have been withdrawn. But really anything that fits is ok - if it's too big, I'll just use the Dremel.

Cheers - Peter Hjalmarsson

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 am

Hi, found a few possibles
Nexus PSM-5000 Socket 479 Cooler
Dynatron I65G CPU Copper Heatsink for Intel Socket 479 RoHS Retail SKU: I65G
Dynatron I51/I51G Intel Pentium M Socket 479 micro-FCBGA 1U 50x50mm Heatsink (Intel Recommended) RoHS SKU: I51

Obvoiusly you can/will change the fans or duct case fans or use passively, it really the metal part you want?

Regards, Seb

peterhjalmarsson

Post by peterhjalmarsson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks - I can't believe I didn't find the Nexus myself. :-(

I'm gonna go with the Nexus because a) availibility in Europe is good, and b) it looks to have a larger cooling surface.

And yes, it's gonna be in the airstream of an Antec ISK-300, which should be enough. If plain vanilla is not enough, I'll duct it and/or add a fan. This should work fine though - thanks!

stefanello

Post by stefanello » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 pm

I think this is better.. cheaper and more efficient than the Nexus. The dynatron are lower.. only 1u solutions!! instead the nexus and the cooljag are higher, 2u solutions! :)

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/productd ... C_JAC09GC/

The distance of 42 mm is a classic pentium m, socket m and socket p distance. The last one is pin to pin compatible with older 478 socket, but when inserted the cpu, the system crashes! The same story for socket m and pentiums M, pin to pin compatible but crashes!

socket p mobos with socket p cpus
socket m mobos with socket m cpus
pentium M mobos with pentium M cpus

If you have other questions, don't be afraid and write! :) I studied this mo*fuckinck sockets, coolers and cpus for about one month before buying.. There were no infos!

But now.. I'm the Holy Bible! :DD

peterhjalmarsson

Post by peterhjalmarsson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm

I have already talked to Stefanello in private, and his advice seems very good (thanks Stefanello!), especially for Americans, where the Nexus seems to be hard to find sometimes.

Once I built the stuff (2-3 weeks time - the MB was broken and needs to be replaced) I'll try to remember to come back for a followup, if not anyone interested can PM me.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:18 am

What about using Arctic alumina adhesive?

peterhjalmarsson

Post by peterhjalmarsson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 am

cloneman wrote:What about using Arctic alumina adhesive?
Oh, I don't know, maybe because it isn't a CPU cooler in the first place? Or maybe because it's specifically stated by Arctic that it should not be used with a CPU? There's just so many reasons...

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 am

peterhjalmarsson wrote:
Oh, I don't know, maybe because it isn't a CPU cooler in the first place? Or maybe because it's specifically stated by Arctic that it should not be used with a CPU? There's just so many reasons...
They only say that because it's a "permanent" solution, which isn't a problem because the heatsink is low profile enough that you can pull it out of the case together with the cpu hopefully without bending anything. (I would still tie it down somehow to be safe though)

I'm not suggesting it's a great solution, but it probably isn't a an awful one, and your reasons against aren't valid.

peterhjalmarsson

Post by peterhjalmarsson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 am

cloneman wrote:
peterhjalmarsson wrote:
They only say that because it's a "permanent" solution, which isn't a problem because the heatsink is low profile enough that you can pull it out of the case together with the cpu hopefully without bending anything. (I would still tie it down somehow to be safe though)

I'm not suggesting it's a great solution, but it probably isn't a an awful one, and your reasons against aren't valid.
Oooh, NOW I see what you mean. Sorry - probably too tired when I posted last. It's a decent enough idea, but the processor has no heatspreader, so the area would be extremely small.

And I'm confident that the Nexus will work very well, as soon as I get my motherboard back from the shop.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:42 am

added note..

I used some thermal adhesive on one of my CPUs, then I tried to 'test' the bond strenght and lifted the cpu right out of the socket without the lever lifting up.... :oops:

so that's why ur not supposed to do it *facepalm*

Well, needless to say, if you use thermal adhesive, have a secondary/ghetto system to lock the heatsink in place, or you'll break the cpu retention mechanism like I did.