Indigo Xtreme Engineered Thermal Interface

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

danimal

Indigo Xtreme Engineered Thermal Interface

Post by danimal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

i just applied the indigo extreme a couple of days ago, it was a bit nerve-racking, because i couldn't get it to reflow for like half an hour >ack!<

the big mugen 2 just wouldn't heat up... i finally had to unplug all of the case fans, even tho the side was off of the case the entire time.

then when it finally went off, i thought that the computer was going to burn up! :shock: this feels like it's not something that should be used with those foxconn 1156 cpu sockets that were melting while being overclocked.

what happens is that you essentially run the cpu at the very limit of it's thermal capacity; it's a place that i've never been to before, and i've been working on pc's since the mid '80's or so... watching the cpu burn itself up, yet never shut down, is mind-boggling... i still don't understand why the computer never locked up or blue-screened, considering that it does that all the time, at much lower temps, during regular overclocking tests.

my suggestions for installing this stuff is to first calibrate realtemp at idle, then install both realtemp and speedfan in your startup group, because the minute that the pc boots up, it'll be smoking at ~90 degrees or so...
1) you need to see the temp graphs in speedfan, per the instructions.
2) this will give you a chance to see if the tjmax readings in realtemp are really and truly properly calibrated.

imho, it's only worth the hassle for extreme overclocking, when your hardware is at the limits... between the indigo and some fan ducting, i probably gained 4-6 degrees of cooling? i went from 4ghz stable to 4.2ghz, more or less stable, with the p183 case closed up... i7 920, msi x58m motherboard.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Thank you for your war story. Installation does sound a bit scary. I also wouldn't recommend it to others except hc users.

Also, it's worth noting that it's not supposed to be used with coolers that have exposed heat pipes (e.g. uneven base).

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 am

Maybe you could use a blow dryer to heat up the HS. or wrap the HS in foil or insulation.
Soon HS's will come with a 110v heater coil inside, to use for melting TIM during installations.. :lol:

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:23 pm

lol @ the heater coil idea :lol:

good tip about the heat pipes.

the thought just occured to me... could this stuff somehow benefit the super silent people out here... better cooling uses less energy?? and less fan noise?

two degrees equals how many watts? etc.

Scott J

Post by Scott J » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:19 pm

danimal wrote:lol @ the heater coil idea :lol:

good tip about the heat pipes.

the thought just occured to me... could this stuff somehow benefit the super silent people out here... better cooling uses less energy?? and less fan noise?

two degrees equals how many watts? etc.
That's what I was thinking. If I can lower temperatures by 4°-6°C, that might be enough to keep the exhaust fan in he Seasonic Gold X-series psu from even needing to turn itself on during regular daily usage.

But after reading your account, I think I'll wait a little while and thoroughly familiarize myself with the new computer first, before I attempt something like the Indigo Extreme.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:50 am

The way I understand it improved thermal interface will not make any difference to the temperature of the heatsink. (In theory!)
There will be the same amount of Watts to be cooled so the heatsink temperature will be the same. The difference is the temperature the CPU needs to be at to get the heatsink to that temperature will reduce.
Think of the heat flow as water flow. The same amount of water (heat) is still flowing but with lower resistance (better thermal interface) it needs to be at lower pressure (lower CPU temp) to get the same amount through.

From a SPCR perspective this means for a given CPU temperature the heatsink can hotter (as less difference between them) and this increases the effectiveness of the heatsink. (Think heat "pressure" from heatsink to air) This may allow slightly lower fan speed and hence quieter operation.

Regards, Seb