Cooler compatible with Intel DG45FC motherboard?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sunefred

Cooler compatible with Intel DG45FC motherboard?

Post by sunefred » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:26 am

I am currently using the Intel DG45FC miniITX motherboard for my fileserver. The CPU is an Intel E5200, probably one of the most bored E5200 in the world as all it does is serve me files once in a while. Consequently it is mostly idling and does not need any excessive cooling.

However I still want quite! The stock cooler, and in particular the fan controller on this board is driving me nuts, so I just ordered the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 which is a smallish tower coler for 90mm fans. I intend to run the cooler fanless. I just realized however that the cooler is imcompatible with this board!
Components at the back prevent installation of the backplate.
This excludes all coolers with the SecuFirm2 mounting system, i.e. all new Noctua coolers. I would still prefer a descently sized heatsink for fanless operation. So please suggest some alternatives if you have any personal experiences with cooling for this board. I will add them to the list below.

- Noctua NH-D14, NH-U12B, NH-U9B etc (incompatible due to components on the backside)

- Thermalright AXP-140 (status unknown)

- Thermalright Ultra-120 etc (status unkown)

- Thermalright HR-01 (status unknown)

- Scythe Ninja Mini (status unknown)

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 am

You're basically limited to using any cooler with pushpins, and all the CoolerMaster and Arctic Cooling ones, which use some form of front-mounted retention mechanism. It's a very wide choice if you ask me! If you want to be on the cheap side, get an Arctic Alpine 11 Pro, which is fanned but extremely quiet. Otherwise, go passive with a Scythe Ninja Mini, but check case ventilation.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:19 pm

I mount coolers on my DG45FC using #8 machine screws, nuts and non-conductive washers. You can't tighten them up as much as you can with the stock hardware, but I haven't seen any disadvantage to this. My board is mounted flat in an HTPC, so no issues with the weight of the cooler bending the board. I would monitor things closely if I was mounting the board in a tower case.

sunefred

Post by sunefred » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:08 am

Riffer wrote:I mount coolers on my DG45FC using #8 machine screws, nuts and non-conductive washers. You can't tighten them up as much as you can with the stock hardware, but I haven't seen any disadvantage to this. My board is mounted flat in an HTPC, so no issues with the weight of the cooler bending the board. I would monitor things closely if I was mounting the board in a tower case.
Great idea! I could probably stick with my Noctua 90mm then. It isnt too heavy either. What cooler are you using?

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 am

sunefred wrote:
Riffer wrote:I mount coolers on my DG45FC using #8 machine screws, nuts and non-conductive washers. You can't tighten them up as much as you can with the stock hardware, but I haven't seen any disadvantage to this. My board is mounted flat in an HTPC, so no issues with the weight of the cooler bending the board. I would monitor things closely if I was mounting the board in a tower case.
Great idea! I could probably stick with my Noctua 90mm then. It isnt too heavy either. What cooler are you using?
I'm using a Nexus LOW right now. I just found some slightly longer screws than those provided, and mounted it using some washers. I had a Big Shuriken before and used the #8's and machine screws. I think it is just a case of looking at the cooler you have and figuring out something.