Easiest to Install Heatsink for i3-530 with No CPU Fan?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anonapon

Easiest to Install Heatsink for i3-530 with No CPU Fan?

Post by anonapon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:23 pm

What would be the easiest heatsink to install on an MSI H55M-ED55 to cool an i3-530 with no CPU fan? It will probably be going in a Silverstone FT-01, and the case fans will be used and undervolted to medium or low strength, but I'd like to eliminate the CPU fan if I can. Graphics will be from the IGP, the CPU will run stock speeds, and the other case components will be a low-profile raid card, eventually a TV tuner card, and several WD GP drives with a Raptor in a Quiet Drive enclosure.

I wouldn't be very concerned about the ease of install normally, mostly I would be trying to maximize performance, but someone else will be putting the system together who'd rather not be assembling computers, and I want to make it as easy as possible. Any thoughts, experiences? Relatedly, should I remove the rear 120mm fan on the FT-01 and go with a CPU fan blowing in the same direction?

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:15 am

If you want passive, you want the Scythe Ninja or the Thermalright HR-01 Plus.

The Thermalright HR-01 Plus is the better of the two.

The Thermalright HR-01 requires a special mounting kit for the 1156 socket. But it appears to be an easy mount.

The Scythe is a difficult mount unless you get a special mounting kit. Otherwise it uses standard Intel push pins to mount. I believe with the kit its much easier.

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:16 am

You're saying the pushpin is hard to assemble? :shock:

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:36 am

Parappaman wrote:You're saying the pushpin is hard to assemble? :shock:
I have never tried to do it. But a lot of people complain about it. And on some specific heatsinks they complain about it a lot (like the Big Shuriken).

SPCR has frequently complained about the pushpin setup. I think it has even downrated some coolers because of it. I seem to remember them complaining about the Ninja because of it.

What has been your experience?

Parappaman

Post by Parappaman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:56 am

The complains are not about the installation difficulty, they're about the stability of the assembly with heavier heatsinks (or, as in the case of the Big Shuriken, their bad placement). Pushpins are newbie-proof, no other system is easier. :wink:

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:16 am

What has been your experience?
I think people tend to exaggerate when it comes to pushpins. This mounting is actually very secure - a while ago there's been a video on Youtube showing a computer with Orochi (pushpins!) installed. The computer was then dropped from about 150cm and the pushpins didn't let go. The computer was dropped again and the heatpipes bent but the cooler remained attached securely. Unfortunately, the video is no longer available.

It is also quite easy to install a cooler with pushpins. You just need to push... those pins... down :) And they click into place! I've installed stock Intel cooler, Arctic Cooling Freezer and Scythe Ninja 2 with pushpins and never had any problems.

anonapon

Post by anonapon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Thank you very much for your responses.

I guess the choice is between the Thermalright HR-01 Plus and the Scythe Ninja 2 (probably the rev. B, which I think is designed for the 1156?), in part because of their high fin surface area and wide fin spacing working well with low airflow, unless there is an additional heatsink to consider.

To summarize, I suppose that we can say in general that pushpin mounting systems are easy to install, and can keep the heatsink firmly fixed in place, but can add an awful lot of flex to the motherboard if it doesn't have a backplate, which the MSI does not. It seems that the Ninja 2 in particular might not be as easy to install as other pushpin systems because of the dimensions of the cooler, according to the review. And, looking at the center picture, it might put a rather incredible amount of bend in the motherboard. If the the system is bumped, or the person who will be putting it together moves the installed heatsink and motherboard around too casually, adding even a little inertia could be too much for a board like the MSI.

The HR-01 Plus perhaps has a much more complicated installation, but it's not necessarily difficult. Is that what others would say?

Is this, described as for a 1366, the mounting kit that can fit the HR-01 Plus onto a 1156?

Many thanks for your help.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Email Thermalright. Tell them exactly what you want to do and they will tell you if the kit will work.

For your final decision, get the real info from them.

anonapon

Post by anonapon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I just sent them an e-mail. I'll post the information I get back I in this thread in case someone else is wondering too.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Parappaman wrote:The complains are not about the installation difficulty, they're about the stability of the assembly with heavier heatsinks (or, as in the case of the Big Shuriken, their bad placement). Pushpins are newbie-proof, no other system is easier. :wink:
Gah, just tore a tiny bit of flesh off my thumb installing the Silverstone NT07-775 this morning. I've installed several Intel stock coolers (including the one I took out earlier) and I've never had as much trouble as I had with this one. That's what I get for going with ultra tiny cases. >_<

anonapon

Post by anonapon » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your thumb, ilovejedd.

The response I got from Thermalright just pointed me to this page. Sidewinder has it listed as out of stock, but hopefully it can be found elsewhere.