Any hands on with Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

capecodbackup

Any hands on with Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler?

Post by capecodbackup » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:26 pm

title says it all. How easy to install? How quiet? Thanks, Dave

amjedm

Post by amjedm » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:33 pm

I'm thinking of getting one, the reviews I've read seem to be positive and the fan looks similar to the Akasa Apache fans except it can run at 2000rpm.

You will have to remove the motherboard unless you have a case with the cut out.

dev

Post by dev » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:01 am

It really depends on what you are trying to cool. Its probably a semi-decent solution for 775 or lower tier AMD but for higher TDP cpus you might want to look elsewhere.

If you are on a tight budget something like the Titan Fenrir is a better choice especially when coupled with a quiet fan.

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:44 pm

I don't have a spl meter, but on my athlon ii x3 440 at idle, its louder than scythe's 120mm pwm fan, and similar to an antec tricool 120 on low.

Install was harder than thermalright hr01 or xigmatek hdt-s1283. The backplate requires you to hold parts on top and bottom of the motherboard until tightened, and the instructions are poor. It may or may not fit rotated for forward to back airflow on all amd boards.

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 am

BTW - this review has plenty of pictures of installing it on Intel. It looks like the Intel mounting may be easier than AMD.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... eview.html

With the Hyper 212+ on an AMD processor - I had to hold the bolt on one side, backplate on the other, then get a third hand to tighten the first bolt.

In contrast - the Xigmatek w/ crossbow backplate lets you tighten everything from the top. You line up the plate, set the board flat on the table, then tighten it from the top.

Anyway - in the end I'd buy the Hyper 212+ again. The build looks slightly better than Xigmatek, but its not in the same league as Thermalright.

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am continuing my search. In the meantime the stock Intel is OK, most of the time, sort of :)

kaotikfunk

Post by kaotikfunk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:16 pm

What CPU are you cooling, and are you willing to remove the motherboard if needed to install a backplate?

PudinPops

Post by PudinPops » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm using it for my Pentium D 2.66g (TDP is apparently 95w) and it keeps it at 27-29c idle (depending on the ambient in my poorly insulated room) with the fan set mid 700rpms. I haven't tested it at load, but it usually goes to 32-34c when watching a movie.

It was extremely easy to install though. just follow the instructions, make sure you install the screws so the flat part is on the proper side, and it should install no problem. You will definitely need to remove the mobo from the case if it doesn't have cut out.

The fan has some hum maxed out, but I wouldn't say it's annoying...... at least it's not for me. I think over 1200rpm you can start to hear it. I tried replacing it with an Sflex 1200rpm, but it didn't keep it as cool as the stock fan at the same rpms. I think the shape on the fins increases air flow or something.

Here's some pics:

The white fan was replaced with the 1200rpm sflex, and I added my old Zalman fan controller. I also sleeved the HS fan wires.

Fan controller....... I drilled the bay cover to make it match.