Thermaltake Silent Boost

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BadReligionPR

Thermaltake Silent Boost

Post by BadReligionPR » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:44 pm

I know you people here don't have much faith in Thermaltake's "quiet" products and neither do I, but always good to know what they're up to.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/hea ... tBoost.htm

ImageImageImage

Copper base looks strikingly similiar to some Thermalright models, IMO :D
Thermaltake Silent Boost

Thermalright SLK-900-U

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:27 pm

Hmm, the fan uses "hydro wave bearings", which makes it sound like they're borrowing Panaflo technology. The quoted specs are also interesting: 27.5CFM, 21dBA, 2450RPM. That puts it somewhere between the L and M series Panaflo's, doesn't it?

I count 34 fins on the SLK-900, vs. 41 fins on the Thermaltake. Then again, the Thermaltake looks to be much wider, so its fins might even be more spaced out, making it well-adapted for low-flow fans. Personally, I think the shape of the SLK-900 is better-looking, but if the thing's gonna be buried in my case, that doesn't matter. There's no mention of the heatsink's mass, so the 3-holed clip could either be more appropriate than a through-the-board mount, or it could be dangerous to use.

...Thermaltake might have gotten it right for once!

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:52 pm

Well, the fan can be replaced with a L1A or NGL if the standard fan is POS. As SometimesWarrior mentioned, no weight is mentioned. The HS is either great or bad, depending greatly on the clip.

Cheers,

Jan

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:53 pm

SometimesWarrior wrote:Hmm, the fan uses "hydro wave bearings", which makes it sound like they're borrowing Panaflo technology. The quoted specs are also interesting: 27.5CFM, 21dBA, 2450RPM. That puts it somewhere between the L and M series Panaflo's, doesn't it?
They're not borrowing Panaflo technology, it is a panaflo.

LAC Augmented fans

Peel that Tt sticker off and you've got yourself one of the rare Panaflo FBL series fans. Digikey carries them, I've never seen 'em anywhere else. Don't bother checking panasonic's site, they're not even listed.

There was some discussion of them here a long time ago: Panaflo FBL series? and Panaflo FBA vs FBL series fans? In a nutshell, the L1A's are quieter in free air, but the FBL's may be quieter with backpressure, although the CFM will drop. Which one would work best is very application-specific. Tt is probably using them because they look different and new, and sometimes that's all you need to move product.

Keel

Post by Keel » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:26 pm

Rusty075 wrote: They're not borrowing Panaflo technology, it is a panaflo.
LAC Augmented fans
Ah! I knew the fan looked familiar. The heatsink is huge and resembles thermalrights but I've had crappy experiences with thermaltake in the past...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:54 am

Russ, I think you're right, and this thermaltake actually may have a decent chance to be a pretty good, pretty quiet model right out of the box. Now if they included one of the little 3-position speed switches, it would be even better, but a fanmate1 is pretty cheap. Let's see if we can round one up for a review!

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:27 am

So essentially, Thermaltake make a nearly exact duplicate of an SLK-800A, and put a Panaflo on top. What a novel concept! It will be interesting to see how it performs vs the SLK-800/L1A combo.

NeilBlanchard

please review!!!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:37 am

Hello:
miker wrote:So essentially, Thermaltake make a nearly exact duplicate of an SLK-800A, and put a Panaflo on top. What a novel concept! It will be interesting to see how it performs vs the SLK-800/L1A combo.
The Thermaltake *might* even have an advantage: it's fins are barely overhung by the fan and there appears to be a shroud that "directs" all the air through the fins, so it seems to avoid the inelegant "waste" of air flow that the Thermalright 'sinks have...

Where are these things sold?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:03 am

miker wrote:So essentially, Thermaltake make a nearly exact duplicate of an SLK-800A, and put a Panaflo on top. What a novel concept! It will be interesting to see how it performs vs the SLK-800/L1A combo.
Is this not the essense of capitalistic competition? They MAY be doing it & selling it more cheaply.

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:00 am

You can sure read about it but it must be too new to find I don't seem to have any luck finding one. The db is what really gets me going, more silence to replace my current volcano.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:55 am

Capitalistic: yes. My only problem is that the design of the sink itself looks dangerously close to some kind of patent infringement, assuming Thermalright had a patent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some sort of Thermalright fanboy, and if TT can make a better bear trap, I'm all for it. I just like to see a little more innovation over duplication.

Curious about that fan, though. I never did getting around to trying an FBL. (Probably the only Panaflo that hasn't been delivered to my door ;))

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:04 am

"assuming Thermalright had a patent" -- very highly unlikely.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:17 pm

Well, this doesn't mean they have a patent, but they're obviously up in arms about something there. They have this big text tattooed on their home page, in ALL CAPS. Of course they don't give patent numbers on their site. :roll:
IN ORDER TO CONSISTENTLY DEVELOP THE BEST AND MOST INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS TO SERVICE OUR CUSTOMERS, THERMALRIGHT MUST VIGOROUSLY PROTECT ITS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.
THE FOLLOWING PRODUCT ADMONISHMENT DRAFTED BY OUR CORPORATE COUNSEL SERVES AS NOTICE TO INFORM THE PUBLIC REGARDING THERMALRIGHT INC.'S RESOVLVE IN THE PROTECTION OF ITS' INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS.

WARNING: ALL OF THE DESIGN ELEMENTS OF THIS PRODUCT ARE LEGALLY PROTECTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. ANY COUNTRERFEIT COPY, IMITATION, RE-CREATION, DUPLICATION OR SALE AND/OR DISTRIBUTION OF THIS PRODUCT OR OF ANY ELEMENTS OF THE DESIGN OF THIS PRODUCT WILL CONSTITUTE A DIRECT VIOLATION OF PROTECTED INTERNATIONAL PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, AND LICENSING AGREEMENTS AND WILL SUBJECT ANY INDIVIDUALS OR ENTITIES IMITATING THE DESIGN OR SELLING AND DISTRIBUTING, COUNTERFEITING, IMITATIONS OR RECREATIONS TO MONETARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO FINES, PENALTIES AND ATTORNEYS' FEES PLUS INJUNCTIVE RELIEF FOR EACH VIOLATION. ANY PERSONS OR ENTITIES WHO ARE FOUND TO HAVE SOLD, DISTRIBUTED OR COUNTERFEITED, IMITATED, COPIED, OR DUPLICATED THIS PRODUCT OR ANY ELEMENTS OF THE DESIGN OF THIS PRODUCT WILL BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:56 pm

miker -- interesting. It still doesn't really tell us whether they have any patents. Implies it, but at the very least it should say patent pending if they've applied for one. Besides, what could they patent? What is so truly unique about any of their product design that it is patentable?

Roger Beckett

Mike's right, what's to pat.?

Post by Roger Beckett » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:10 pm

Tricky business pattens, you have to prove that you invented something unique, and not just adapted something from one use to another.

Since heatsinks are used on everything from transistors to motorcycle engines, what is unique here.

They might, however, have a trademark on the shape, that is more possible. Still, they sure weren't the first person/company to strap some fins on a computer chip.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:31 pm

or the construction? patents are a fun business
tt suck tho, producing crap product one after another, and now seem to have taken other ppls ideas, maybe there slower, u know the "every idea has its time" if u dont do it someone else will..

NeilBlanchard

There is one big difference

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:49 pm

Hello:

There is one big difference: the Thermalright's have that truncated triangular copper "tunnel" around the clip, whereas the Thermaltake just has a slot in the fins. Besides, how many zillions of copper finned HS are there? :roll:

The Thermaltake has an aluminum frame/shroud that holds the fan with screws -- the Thermalright has stepped fins and wire retainers. (Actually, this part of the Thermaltake reminds me more of the Alpha...)

The 'take has more fins and has a nearly square shape when viewed from the top -- the 'right has the imfamous "underhang"...

And the most obvious difference: the 'take comes with a fan -- and what looks to be a pretty *sweet* one at that! :P

Has anybody found a seller of this particular Thermaltake?

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:10 am

- This link says Silent Boost will be available in August 2003 worldwide.
Silent Boost will be available in August 2003 worldwide. Please visit www.thermaltake.com for detail specification and future updates. Thermaltake supports custom modifications of any of these products.

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:04 pm

Would not a person get by fine with just an 80 X 60 adaptor and a nice panflo or would this be superior for your precious cpu's? :idea:

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:30 pm

Do you mean we should use the stock AMD sink? I would rather burn my CPU into dust ;)

Clippet

Post by Clippet » Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:53 pm

Regarding Thermaltake's products:

Yes I must admit they seem to be making some strange products, even for overclockers. Not much from them to get if you're a SPCR reader maybe.. but:

I found a 80mm fan from them that I consider quite good for silencing purposes. It's sold with the product number A1530 on the retail box but the actual fan is labeled TT-8025A. It uses sleeve bearing and spins at 1500 RPM at 12V. I never found this fan on their homepage, just some TT-8025A-2B that was not even close in specs.

Personally I think the actual noise from the fan motor is low, I consider it to be as usable as Panaflo L1A. Then again the Panaflo spins at a higher RPM at 12V.

NeilBlanchard

Silent Boost is for sale @ New Egg!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:04 pm

Hello:

Well, I just found that this HS is for sale at New Egg:

It is $40 + $6 for shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 35-106-033

:o

snowairg

Post by snowairg » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:28 pm

Much Cheaper

And still cheaper!

Your local Fry's Electronics (if they're in your area) has them for $29.99.

Overclocker Cafe Review

Another Review

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:37 am

Overclocker Cafe reports that temperatures with the Silent Boost are just 2 degrees C higher than the SLK-800 with a Vantec Tornado.

Sledge

Post by Sledge » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:04 am

There was an old link somewhere (too lazy to find it) that used two Thermaltake Ducting Mods to create a 90 degree bend to get the fan close to the rear fan opening for better cooling.

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:14 pm

I don't like the litigious attitude Thermalright is taking about its product. It seems like they are trying to scare away potential competitors so that they won't have to compete. This ultimately stifles innovation because other companies are less likely to try and improve upon Thermalright's design. It's like the SCO Linux lawsuit that appears to be brewing. (SCO by the way is a Microsoft subcontractor or something like that. Perhaps that has something to do with why SCO is trying to initiate that suit.) The Thermaltake heatsink is sufficiently different enough that I think thermaltake would win any lawsuit.

Differences between Thermalright products and Thermaltake Products:

The fans on the Silent Boost and Volcano 12 are mounted using screws, while the Thermalright products incorprate wire clips to hold the fan down.

The Silent Boost and Volcano 12 feature shrouds to much more efficiently direct air over their heatsinks, as stated before, without the inelegant waste of the Thermalright heatsinks.

The geometry of the Thermalright sinks are such that there is a good amount of overhang outside the area covered by the fan. In the case of the Thermaltake heatsinks, the entire heatsink fits underneath the fan. The Thermaltake heatsinks are much smaller in size because of this.

As mentioned before, the Thermalrights have their clip in that truncated tunnel, while the thermaltakes have a channel that runs the entire length of a heatsink.

In fact, almost the only similarity is the Silent Boost's 41 closely-spaced copper fins. If Thermalright wants to sue anyone who uses closely-spaced copper fins, then they should sue AVC because their Tundra heatsink has some closely-spaced copper fins. Granted, though, the Silent Boost is a mcuh larger chunk of copper. Anyway, Thermalright can get prepared to be laughed at.

Thermalright should stop pissing and moaning that maybe someone else makes a better product (or at least one that certainly has the potential to compete - see my above post about OC Cafe's review of the Silent Boost) and drop their "get behind us (in technology) or we'll sue your pants off" mentality or they are going to lose a lot of respect from the modding community (just like Bose sues for slander anyone who writes a bad review of their products and nobody likes them except the uneducated who buy into the marketing.) If Thermalright's products are really in all that much danger of being eclipsed by Thermaltake's new offerings, then Thermalright should respond with a burst of R&D to make their products better instead of just trying to sue anyone who makes a better product.

DD

Post by DD » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:34 pm

I just bought a Thermaltake Silent Boost today and installed it on a brand spanking new XP 2500+ (bought at the same time).

Very happy, best HSF I've ever owned.

DD

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:13 am

Hello:
DD wrote:I just bought a Thermaltake Silent Boost today and installed it on a brand spanking new XP 2500+ (bought at the same time).

Very happy, best HSF I've ever owned.
How does the bottom look? Does it come with thermal paste? And what sorta' temps are you getting (idle and load)?

DD

Post by DD » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:59 am

It doesn't come with any thermal paste, nor a thermal pad attached to the bottom.

The bottom looks fine, although if you're a perfectionist, you may want to lap it.

In my box, with *admittedly poor airflow* (the only fan I use is the PSU, to keep the noise down), the idle temp is 35 C, the load temp is about 50 C. Of course YMMV.

frosty

Post by frosty » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:45 am

That is a considerable idle temp, I mean great considering you don't have any fans well uh one fan to speak of. This silent boost is looking pretty sweet.

Does ANYONE think a person is better off with this new thermaltake hs/fan than a SLK800a or SLK())a with a panaflo atop her?