Could AMD/Intel standardize mounting heatsink?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Could AMD/Intel standardize mounting heatsink?

Post by dan » Sun May 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Granted that AMD and Intel are not electrically compatible processors, would it make good business sense and is it technically feasible for AMD and Intel to standardize on one specification for mounting heatsink so AMD and Intel heat sinks could be standardized on one design and be interchangeable?

Specifically, since Intel is bigger, could AMD simply "copy" legally, Intel's current mechanism for mounting heatsinks used by say the core i7?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun May 02, 2010 9:59 pm

At first, even Intel itself can't standardize mounting holes -- there're Socket 775/1156/1366 in the market and they require different mounting clips. Second, AMD has managed to continue using AM2 mounting clips across the AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards, so why do they must ditch consistent, successful mounting in favor of highly changeable Intel mounting? Third, political conflicit would prevent this from happening in the real world.

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 pm

loimlo wrote:At first, even Intel itself can't standardize mounting holes -- there're Socket 775/1156/1366 in the market and they require different mounting clips. Second, AMD has managed to continue using AM2 mounting clips across the AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards, so why do they must ditch consistent, successful mounting in favor of highly changeable Intel mounting? Third, political conflicit would prevent this from happening in the real world.
Is there any reason why Intel changes mounting holes? Perhaps Intel should adopt AM2 mounting system

hans007

Post by hans007 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:47 pm

dan wrote:
loimlo wrote:At first, even Intel itself can't standardize mounting holes -- there're Socket 775/1156/1366 in the market and they require different mounting clips. Second, AMD has managed to continue using AM2 mounting clips across the AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards, so why do they must ditch consistent, successful mounting in favor of highly changeable Intel mounting? Third, political conflicit would prevent this from happening in the real world.
Is there any reason why Intel changes mounting holes? Perhaps Intel should adopt AM2 mounting system
intel probably could, of course that would mean adopting a non intel standard... they would only grudgingly do so ,like when they had to take x86-64 or adopted itx for some boards instead of picoBTX when that failed. as it is now i doubt they will do it since not that many people care.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

My opinion: why would they do it?

Imagine your computer is a a car. Why would you put a ferrari engine block in a ford GT? A: why would ferrari or ford would make standardized holes? That way its harder to create a new car (you have restrictions).

If you say. A cooler is an aftermarket part. Why on earth would you put a spoiler for an opel on a renault? Even with standardized mounting holes it would look like a POS ;)

I think its good as it is. Aftermarktet coolers should be able to convert their feet/socket ;)

I may sound a bit overreacted. But i dont mean it. Its just my english. It sucks because im from NL.

didi

Post by didi » Thu May 06, 2010 12:14 pm

BlackWhizz wrote:It sucks because im from NL.
That's even worse than non-standard mounting systems !!

J/K "groeten" from Belgium ;-)

On topic:
Standardization would actually make it a lot easier for us buyers. When buying an aftermarket cooler now, you have to check long compatibility lists just to make sure it will fit your motherboard and cpu.
For manufacturers, making a "one size fits all" would mean they wouldn't have to make/include all kinds of different mounting systems. Less customization (and less R&D) would bring manufacturing prices down a lot. From a marketing view they could sell their products cheaper AND with higher margin. Win-win.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 pm

didi wrote:
BlackWhizz wrote:It sucks because im from NL.
That's even worse than non-standard mounting systems !!

J/K "groeten" from Belgium ;-)[..]
Damn belgian :P Haha great where r u from? I know some ppl there.