Socket 1156 on DH57JG

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Namheul

Socket 1156 on DH57JG

Post by Namheul » Tue May 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi All.

I have the DH57JG motherboard with a i3 530, inside an Apex MI-008 case.

The stock cooler is too loud for my liking, so i wanted to upgrade it to something to can run passive, or with a slow 120mm fan.

Looking at the underside of the motherboard, you will see this:

Are all those chips and things going to interfere with a cooler that uses a custom back plate?

If so, what is the best cooler i could get that doesnt require a back plate, and is low profile? Less than 70mm would be best.

Thanks!

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue May 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Scythe Big Shuriken.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh wow! Didnt realise it could use the push pin mounts.

Thanks!

Not sure if it will fit though, as the motherboard has a stupid CPU socket location:

I might have to research how much it will hang over the socket, and if it will hit the ram. PCI-E slot doesnt matter, as i dont use it.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Tue May 25, 2010 9:25 pm

It definitely blocks the PCIe socket and I think it does overhang the RAM slots, too. However, as long as you don't get those high performance memory with tall heatspreaders, I think you'll be fine. I use Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G on my build (DH57JG+i3-530+SCBSK-1000) and there's sufficient clearance from the bottom of the fins to the top of the RAM.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Tue May 25, 2010 9:37 pm

After some google work, i found that the big shuriken might fit, and that the regular shuriken will fit, and i will be able to use the PCI-E slot too. So i ordered one.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Wed May 26, 2010 4:49 am

Namheul wrote:After some google work, i found that the big shuriken might fit, and that the regular shuriken will fit, and i will be able to use the PCI-E slot too. So i ordered one.
I'm using the Big Shuriken on my DH57JG and it fits. You just can't use RAM with tall heatspreaders.

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Wed May 26, 2010 4:02 pm

ilovejedd wrote:
Namheul wrote:After some google work, i found that the big shuriken might fit, and that the regular shuriken will fit, and i will be able to use the PCI-E slot too. So i ordered one.
I'm using the Big Shuriken on my DH57JG and it fits. You just can't use RAM with tall heatspreaders.
Thanks for the pics.

Decided on the regular Shuriken as it will allow me to use the PCI-E slot one day, should i need to. Can always swap for a big shuriken later on if i want.

xj-boonie

Post by xj-boonie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:47 am

ilovejedd wrote:
What case are you using Namheul?