Lookin' for a Big Shuriken (original model)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

guises

Lookin' for a Big Shuriken (original model)

Post by guises » Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 pm

So the 113mm shuriken with the standard 3 wire fan that was reviewed here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article964-page3.html

doesn't seem to exist anymore, or at least I can't find it anywhere. It's been replaced by a slightly taller 120mm model and a 100mm model, both with PWM fans at 2200 max rpm. (Fan speed according to Newegg, though the Scythe website lists the 120mm fan as 1,600 rpm.)

Does anyone know where I could get the original? Or actually, any of the better preforming low-profile heatsinks would do if I could get them without the PWM fans that they all seem to come with. A Nexus LOW-7000 or Cooljag Falcon 2 would be fine too, without the PWM fans.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun May 30, 2010 9:49 pm

There's no original model AFAIK, that's the same Big Shuriken you can find today. Looks like SPCR just took their own measurements instead of using the manufacturer's advertised ones (120mm fan, 58mm height for the cooler according to Scythe). Also I'm not sure where you're seeing it uses a 3-pin, looking at the pics in SPCR's low profile roundup, it uses a 4-pin PWM fan.

I bought one from NewEgg a bit over a month ago, and the fan seemed to top out at around 1600RPM, not 2200RPM. Scythe's site claims 2200RPM, though. Maybe a mistake, or maybe they changed the fan very recently.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/0 ... etail.html

guises

Post by guises » Mon May 31, 2010 6:13 am

Well, ok. I guess I made the assumption based on the different different rpm value than listed (1460 rpm) and on how that scaled with voltage, though looking at it again it seems to be wishful thinking. I only see three wires in that picture, but it's pretty small.

Ok, so do they just not make heatsinks without PWM fans anymore? This annoys me.