Very interesting new heatsink design!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Darth Santa Fe

Very interesting new heatsink design!

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:31 am

I just ran across this new CPU cooler from NoiseBlocker:

http://www.noiseblocker.de/en/NB-TwinTec.php

Yes, it's a tower design, and at first glance it isn't unique in any way. But! Take a look at the base and heatpipe design. There are two 6mm heatpipes in a U shape on the outside, and in the middle is a massive 25mm heatpipe going straight through the center of the heatsink! They claim that it responds more quickly and more effectively than the usual design of heatpipes. It even comes with a nice thumbscrew and backplate mounting design for all the current AMD and Intel sockets! And it has their Multiframe PWM fan!

SPCR has always liked NoiseBlocker's stuff before. I wonder how this one would rank with the current top coolers?

And now that I'm doing some searching, it looks like it's been available for around a year now. It seems to get very good reviews from others.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 am

Reminds me of the "vapour chamber" design Sapphire uses in their Vapor-X cooling, as they both employ a big vapour apparatus. Would have been interesting if they had made it lighter, plenty of cooling power already out there.

Edit: fixed a typo.
Last edited by Das_Saunamies on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 am

I am not sure that it will be a top performer. It would not need a 2000RPM fan if itself performed very good.
There is no way that fan makes only 29DB of noise @ 2 000 RPM, maybe with some very "creative" way of measuring :lol:

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:51 am

It may be similar to the designs used by Sapphire, and for a short time, Intel. NB calls it an "industrial heat-pipe", so I wonder if it's physically different from the vapor chambers at all?

The Scythe Yasya includes a 1,900RPM fan, and it did very well in SPCR's review (that 1,900RPM PWM fan made it all the way down to 13dBA!). Remember that the fan is a PWM version, and isn't meant to be run at full speed all the time (if it was, it wouldn't have a PWM fan shipped with it). I wonder if their noise measurement is 29dBA above ambient? If you think of it that way, all of their measurements make more sense. I'm probably going to get shot down for these crazy ideas, aren't I? :shock:

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:58 pm

i can't see where the heatpipe is?

at any rate, i'd put this new thermalright silver arrow cooler and 140mm fans up against that thing any day of the week.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:39 am

danimal wrote:i can't see where the heatpipe is?

at any rate, i'd put this new thermalright silver arrow cooler and 140mm fans up against that thing any day of the week.
It's tough because both the base and the 'pipe are polished to a mirror finish, but it's there. Just look really, really hard at the middle and you can just make it out using the reflections as a guide. :wink:

High-RPM fans don't suggest confidence at first glance, but if it is PWM and a good fan, it can be toned down to very quiet levels. Probably necessary to win favour with your average user who is comparing numbers. :P

That's not a bad rule of thumb, "measured dB for noise above ambient level". That way every rating gets an instant +20 dB, which might be closer to the actual, scientific truth. :D

Hgi

Post by Hgi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:09 am

Hi,

Is NB-Twintec same as Hurricane NPH-105? This cooler is made for long time...

Erelyes

Post by Erelyes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 am

Googled it and yeah, looks very similar.
http://www.npowertek.com/product/nph-105-1.htm
Would be interesting to see an SPCR review of this style heatsink to see if the 'big single' heatpipe works in practice.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:49 am