Mugen 2 or Venomous X?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flarkit

Mugen 2 or Venomous X?

Post by flarkit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi,

I have a Phenom II 965 BE rev C cooled by a Zalman CNPS10X Quiet and I'd like to replace this with something which is as quiet, yet cools better. The 2 options I've come up with are either:

1) Scythe Mugen 2 rev B, with 2 Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1,450 RPM fans in push/pull config

or

2) Thermalright Venomous X RT (includes a TR FDB 1300 fan and CF2 paste), with a 2nd TR FDB 1300 in push/pull

I was quite set on option 1, which I'd need to import, together with something like AC MX4 compound. Now I've found some local people who are happily using the Venomous cooler. I'm confused.
:?

boost

Re: Mugen 2 or Venomous X?

Post by boost » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:00 am

How about option 3: replacing just the fan?
The Zalman cnps 10 is a good heatsink, the only problem is the loud fan. Get a Scythe PWM fan and some zip ties.

flarkit

Post by flarkit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:21 am

boost wrote:How about option 3: replacing just the fan?
The Zalman cnps 10 is a good heatsink, the only problem is the loud fan. Get a Scythe PWM fan and some zip ties.
The problem I have is that at 3.7GHz, the CPU temp climbed to 64degC. I could try to jerry-rig a second fan onto the Zalman, since in their wisdom, they decided not to have a 2nd fan-mount on the Quiet model. I'd really prefer to sell it and get something that is known for decent cooling with 2 quiet fans. This led me to the Mugen2 with 2 GT fans and now I've found that the VenX is sold here. Just wondering whether I can safely choose this rather, with a 2nd TR FDB fan

boost

Post by boost » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 am

If you must have a new cooler for two fans the Noctua NH-D14 and the Thermalright Silver Arrow are your best options.
I recommend Thermalright (I always do and use them exclusively) as the fans that come with the Silver Arrow are better than those of the Noctua NH-14D.
You shouldn't expect too much though, 64°C is a good temperature for a hot, overclocked CPU.
I wouldn't expect more than five degrees, maybe a little more if the fans run at full speed.
Here's an XBitlabs test of the two coolers. A heavily overclocked i7 reaches way higher temps than your cpu and stills runs fine. I would't recommend those temps for 24/7 stability.
Here's a Googlenglish version of another test of the Silver Arrow with an AM3 CPU. At 4Ghz it reaches 69°C.
I don't think a new cooler will give you the temps you're looking for.

flarkit

Post by flarkit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:00 am

boost wrote:If you must have a new cooler for two fans the Noctua NH-D14 and the Thermalright Silver Arrow are your best options.
I recommend Thermalright (I always do and use them exclusively) as the fans that come with the Silver Arrow are better than those of the Noctua NH-14D.
You shouldn't expect too much though, 64°C is a good temperature for a hot, overclocked CPU.
I wouldn't expect more than five degrees, maybe a little more if the fans run at full speed.
Here's an XBitlabs test of the two coolers. A heavily overclocked i7 reaches way higher temps than your cpu and stills runs fine. I would't recommend those temps for 24/7 stability.
Here's a Googlenglish version of another test of the Silver Arrow with an AM3 CPU. At 4Ghz it reaches 69°C.
I don't think a new cooler will give you the temps you're looking for.
That's some interesting food for thought, thanks boost. However the PhenomII 965's maximum temperature is 62degC, so I was actually over the limit there. If I can shave 5degC off with a different cooler, using 2 push-pull fans, then I'll be happy. I had some relief by mounting a TY-140 fan in the top exhaust slot of my case, but the fan isn't so quiet either (possibly due to the case's dust-filter). I'm interested to see that the TR Archon is as effective as the Silver Arrow, according to Xbitlabs

I'm certainly going to test the effects of a 2nd fan on my current cooler, but my gut still tells me I will see a definite improvements with a different config