Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B will it fit?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnniecache7

Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B will it fit?

Post by johnniecache7 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm think of purchasing Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B but I'm not sure it will fit on my matx motherboard. I have stardard size DDR3 memory modules with no heatspeaders which I'll be using and my motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-M68MT-D3 ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3497#ov ) does anyone know if it will fit? I was also considering the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and swaping the fan but I'm under the impression it will in no way fit east/west without blocking my memory slots.

Olle P

Re: Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B will it fit?

Post by Olle P » Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 am

- The motherboard won't be an issue at all.
- The RAM sticks might at worst prevent you from mounting the fan exactly in the position you want, forcing you to shift it slightly more away from the motherboard. (Not an issue!)

- The remaining question is if it fits inside your case.

Cheers
Olle

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 am

Olle P wrote:- The motherboard won't be an issue at all.
- The RAM sticks might at worst prevent you from mounting the fan exactly in the position you want, forcing you to shift it slightly more away from the motherboard. (Not an issue!)

- The remaining question is if it fits inside your case.

Cheers
Olle
My case is the Haf 912 you could fit a whale in the Haf 912 so its no issue there.

fumino

Post by fumino » Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

you might have to install the ram before you put the fan on the heatsink, but other than that i dont see anything that would be an issue.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed May 11, 2011 5:28 am

Most probably, yes. I'd actually bet my money on it. Because:

- Most tower heat sinks are designed, so that they can at least be used with standard sized RAM (ie. with no heatsinks). Take a look at this picture for example:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article961-page3.html

- I myself own a m-ATX board (see signature) with the Scythe Mugen 2 where the RAM slots are very close to the CPU socket. Still, I had no trouble installing the Mugen 2. Just put the RAM in first, as other says.

I hope it all works out.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 am

I'm still considering the Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B because its $34 in Canada but my worry is I have move the computer from the computer shop to my home by car. I don't want that beast to rip my socket off my motherboard.

ces

Post by ces » Wed May 11, 2011 6:51 am

johnniecache7 wrote:I'm still considering the Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B because its $34 in Canada but my worry is I have move the computer from the computer shop to my home by car. I don't want that beast to rip my socket off my motherboard.
Consider this accessory from Scythe:
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html

matchu

Post by matchu » Wed May 11, 2011 8:51 am

If you're afraid of the HS ripping off your socket in the car, then put the computer on its side while in transport :)

As far as installation of the HS+F goes, on my motherboard, I had trouble putting the fan header in with the cooler in the way. Take that into consideration, since it might be important depending on how your motherboard is laid out.

The way I did it was 1) fan header 2) memory 3) HS+F

Do whatever works for you. just plan it out

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:22 am

:D :lol: I'm not mounting it so I'll leave that up to the tech to worry about just need make sure that it fits. I was planning to carry it flat like that.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:18 am

kuzzia wrote:Most probably, yes. I'd actually bet my money on it. Because:

- Most tower heat sinks are designed, so that they can at least be used with standard sized RAM (ie. with no heatsinks). Take a look at this picture for example:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article961-page3.html

- I myself own a m-ATX board (see signature) with the Scythe Mugen 2 where the RAM slots are very close to the CPU socket. Still, I had no trouble installing the Mugen 2. Just put the RAM in first, as other says.

I hope it all works out.
I say your Asus motherboard has about the same memory settup but I've only got two slots. Believe or not most the towers won't fit matx AMD boards. The hyper 212+ is lighter but the fan mounting just sucks so badly it takes like 15mins to replace the fan. I plain on swaping the stock Scythe Mugen 2 fan for the S-flex 1,200rpm. I'm bit worry about the size and weight but I'm not willing to payout $80+ for a TR,Noctua heatsink its above my budget.

ces

Post by ces » Wed May 11, 2011 11:52 am

johnniecache7 wrote:http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1609/2/I'm bit worry about the size and weight but I'm not willing to payout $80+ for a TR,Noctua heatsink its above my budget.
Take a look at the $22.99 Xigmatek Loki
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1609/2/

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Xigmatek's is basicly the same heatsink as Hyper 212+ but with rubber fan mounts. Big issue with the Xigmatek HDT1283 is you cannot mount it east/west on AMD motherboard without extra retention hardware which is only sold at newegg.ca would cost me something around $20 with shipping. I believe it wouldn't clear my memory due it being shorter tower heatsink.

fumino

Post by fumino » Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 pm

johnniecache7 wrote: I plain on swapping the stock Scythe Mugen 2 fan for the S-flex 1,200rpm.
...why?

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Slipstream sleeve bearing fans don't last 6 months with 24/7 use. I avoid sleeve bearing fans for this reason and prefer the S-flex over all.

ces

Post by ces » Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 pm

johnniecache7 wrote:Xigmatek's is basicly the same heatsink as Hyper 212+ but with rubber fan mounts. Big issue with the Xigmatek HDT1283....
The $22.99 Xigmatek Loki is not the HDT1283. It is a substantially different heatsink than either the HDT1283 or the Hyper 212+. It is smaller and with a reasonable heat load probably cools about as well as either of them.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:14 pm

ces wrote:
johnniecache7 wrote:Xigmatek's is basicly the same heatsink as Hyper 212+ but with rubber fan mounts. Big issue with the Xigmatek HDT1283....
The $22.99 Xigmatek Loki is not the HDT1283. It is a substantially different heatsink.
Loki doesn't have clearance that the TRUE,Noctua does the fins sit slower like the on hyper 212+ which block the memory not mention it's 92mm fan cooler and I wouldn't want any 92mm fans in my system. I checked it out on Newegg before looking at the Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B.