Which cooler for s1151? Will my Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000 work?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snot

Which cooler for s1151? Will my Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000 work?

Post by snot » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:46 am

Hello!

I'm planning on buying an i5 6600K and a socket 1151 motherboard with it.

Would I still be able to use my old Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000 (the first Ninja)? Right now it sits on a socket 775. Maybe I would still be able to use it on a socket 1151 motherboard.

If not, what quiet cooler would you recommend? My budget is around $50.

Thanks in advance.

CA_Steve

Re: Which cooler for s1151? Will my Scythe Ninja SCNJ-1000 w

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:10 am

Welcome to SPCR. This old thread keeps on giving. :)

Or, you could buy a Scythe Kotetsu.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:05 pm

CA_Steve wrote:Or, you could buy a Scythe Kotetsu.
Or look for a Scythe Ninja 4 SCNJ-4000 :wink:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:54 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:Or look for a Scythe Ninja 4 SCNJ-4000 :wink:
All winking aside...Currently the cheapest place for the Ninja 4 is Coolerguys in the US for ~$61 shipped vs the Kotetsu $47 shipped via Amazon (Platinum Micro). Don't think the extra $'s and mass add enough value for a stock i5.

Placid

Post by Placid » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Coolerguys is offering free shipping for orders over $50. With the Ninja 4 at $47.95, you're only $3.06 away. Even at that price, I went with a Kotetsu for my own build, thanks to CA_Steve's advice, and I also prefer to have less weight hanging off the motherboard. SuperBiiz is selling the Kotetsu for $44.98 shipped.

snot

Post by snot » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

I forgot to mention that I do want to overclock the 6600K (not to extreme proportions, tho).

So the Scythes are the way to go price/quality wise when keeping quietness in mind?

I live in Belgium and I will probably be buying my hardware in the Netherlands. Here is a link to a Dutch webshop's Scythe coolers with prices in euros, to give you an idea what I should best get: https://azerty.nl/producten/zoek/?MERK_ ... ertijd_asc.

Kotetsu is €32 (around $36)
Ninja 4 is €40
Mugen 4 PCGH is €45

I've seen the Mugen 4 PCGH being recommended a lot. Is it worth the additional cost or is it not really necessary given my needs? (I have to admit that the fact that I would be able to use the second fan on the Mugen 4 PCGH as a case fan, is quite tempting.)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:29 pm

snot wrote:I've seen the Mugen 4 PCGH being recommended a lot.

SPCR didn't shared such a recommendation, as far as I know.

snot wrote:Is it worth the additional cost or is it not really necessary given my needs?

The Mugen 4 is somewhat inferior to both the more recent Kotetsu and Ninja 4, despite the higher cost it offers some lower performances. Besides, if I recall correctly, it uses two low speed voltage controlled fans which may turn out pretty useless on an overclocked/overvolted CPU and which might be not perfectly suitable with the motherboard of choice.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:43 pm

I don't quite understand the SPCR infatuation with Scythe. In the US I see some pretty spotty availability and high prices.

The only top flight heat sink brand with good availability I have seen is Noctua but their prices are higher than a price gouged Scythe.

I am surprised that so many companies with good to excellent products fail to get good distribution in the US.

If Scythe products were as available as Noctua and priced like they are in Europe, I would consider buying.

Personally, I think $40 is more than a decent heat sink should cost. I just had to exceed that price point on a 92mm tower heat sink from Thermalright because I couldn't find anything cheaper that would fit and perform well.

There were some Thermalright 120mm heat sinks that had a MSRP around $30. The problem is they are hard to find at that price and in my case wouldn't fit.

A $20 Xigmatek Gaia was a great bargain I got a few years ago, now its hard to find any Xigmatek products on the shelf. I was considering a Loki II heat sink but I think their distributor list on their web page points to several defunct etailers.

There was one Silverstone I was considering but my two local retailers that carry Silverstone failed to stock the item.

Lots of dead ends and I wound up ordering from a small etailer through Amazon.

If you have the space for a Ninja or Mugen, you have many more choices than I did and there are several good choices less expensive than Scythe (depending on your location).

Any way, I got pretty good results with a 92mm tower heat sink on an i7-6700k so most any 120mm+ tower should do just fine with a mild over clock on a Skylake i5.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:58 am

QUIET! wrote:I don't quite understand the SPCR infatuation with Scythe. In the US I see some pretty spotty availability and high prices.

What you call "SPCR infatuation" is mainly/mostly performance-based (Scythe delivers, since the venerable NCU from about ten years ago: not to mention that North America is not the World) : on the other hand your reasoning is biased by a different kind of arguments.

By the way, whether you're just blaming the fact that other brands coolers are not so frequently reviewed, as far as I know SPCR mostly tests what the various manufacturers send in for reviews (I think you can't blame SPCR if - to say - Zalman, Xigmatek, Cooler Master or Arctic Cooling don't do that).

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 am

I push the Scythe coolers for their consistant top tier performance at a reasonable price. Until recently, the lower priced Thermalright coolers had buzzy fans that had to be replaced...as do most of the lower priced decent coolers (like Cooler Master).

It would be nice to see some of the newer Thermalrights tested.

Bearmann

Post by Bearmann » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am

I have a Scythe cooler now in my old build, but I agree that looking at the total cost in the USA including shipping & tax, reputation of the retailer, seemingly inflated prices of the Scythe's from the few retailers that carry them, I'm getting pushed into the Noctua camp which ends up only costing me $10-20 more unless I go with the very lowest cost Scythe's. For the small amount extra, I'm getting 5 additional years of warranty, a better build, and great customer service I'm told. The youtube reviews say the Scythe runs about $35 in the US, but it doesn't, it's $50.

QUIET!

Post by QUIET! » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Exactly.

If I wasn't so cheap I would have all Noctua heat sinks.

If Scythe hit the price point they claim and the availability was consistent, I would give them a shot.

If you are that bad at business I'm going to avoid you.

I wound up with Thermalright for my last because it seems like all 92mm tower heat sinks have poor availibility (except Noctua) and Thermalright seemed like the best option when I considered price, shipping cost and performance.

I love having options because competition improves the breed. It seems like the options are out there but I can't find most of them at the intended price.

As for North America not being the world, I live in Silicon Valley which for computers and high tech is the center of the universe. Getting stuck in traffic behind a Google bus while passing an Apple campus makes me feel entitled. On the other hand, if your business is computers and you don't serve the Silicon Valley market, you're doing it wrong.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:12 pm

IDK why scythe lost its US distributor a while back. but they are trying to get their US sales rolling again. to me that's a huge reason to support them, not ignore them. we want more companies making better heatsinks, not less. that's what will make things more competitive, and drive prices down for US (all).

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:32 pm

QUIET! wrote:If I wasn't so cheap I would have all Noctua heat sinks.
Personally i dont see what makes Noctua so hot in heatsinks, yes they have great mounting, great service, but their newer fan design and their color scheme.... and specially pricing makes them like 3rd choice i would recommend, same situation for some thermalright/Bequiet/Prolimatech coolers.
QUIET! wrote:If Scythe hit the price point they claim and the availability was consistent, I would give them a shot.
Well the kotetsu used to sell around $40-44, recently i seen it higher, but its around there. Mugen 4 was also another that was around $50 and was another good option, lost a lot of hype once the kotetsu was released.

I honestly think that Thermalright has better quality heatsinks, their mounting is imo better than most (except noctua), and their finishing of their heatsinks is second to none (well prolimatech has very good ionized i would tied them), that said, Scythe performs well up there, and they improved their mounting from the Mugen 3, that you have to screw from the bottom (was not hard just inconvenient), to a more solid mountiing this gen. I still think atm Scythe offers better bang for the buck, they are not the best performers, but very close, and for a little less than what most others offer, the availability isnt as good as noctua and thermalright, but its not hard to get them either.

I wrote to nansgaming to see if they could submit some samples to SPCR, i doubt they will, but i really would like to see the TY147A reviewed by spcr and compared to Scythe Glidestream PWM, in both temps and temperature with their respective heatsinks. Woud love to see a Macho Rev B vs Ninja and Kotetsu/Mugen Max vs Spirit Power 140.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 pm

pcpartpicker will show pricing history when you select a part. It'll give you a feel for how the price bounces around. Here's the Kotetsu as an example.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:16 pm

QUIET! wrote:As for North America not being the world, I live in Silicon Valley which for computers and high tech is the center of the universe. Getting stuck in traffic behind a Google bus while passing an Apple campus makes me feel entitled. On the other hand, if your business is computers and you don't serve the Silicon Valley market, you're doing it wrong.

Those statements might sound as sort of an elitarian reasoning ("I live in Silicon Valley"... "Silicon Valley is the center of the universe"... "if you don't serve the Silicon Valley, you're doing wrong"), though that may be due to language barriers (I'm not an english reader).

At any rate, I answered your somewhat "out of the blue" question in this thread, about why Scythe coolers are that much praised on/by SPCR.

Either you meant the SPCR reviewers team, or the SPCR community, a great part of those people either don't live in USA, or they don't address just north american readers. In a broaden perspective, SPCR praises Scythe coolers/fans because they sell decent products (decent performing heatsinks paired with decent sounding fans sold at decent pricing) to lots of people all around the World, DESPITE the fact the north american market may be NOT well served.

Rather recently an SPCR reader from North America, who's a Scythe customer, asked to Scythe USA if he can buy a pair of extra clips for a Kotetsu, IIRC (you may dig the forum). They answered just they can't help him. Then that customer made the same request to Scythe EU, and they kindly send him the clips for free (from Germany to USA).

So, more probably that not, Scythe USA (likely an importer/distributor, as far I can see) is doing wrong, I've not even put into question that fact, but again, in case that's not enough to rule out Scythe from SPCR favourites, given that Scythe is more than this, given how Scythe is doing business for so many people all over the World (the community which definitely SPCR serves, nowadays).

I hope to have more clearly expressed my thought, have a nice time.