Loud CPU Fan

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

recoil

Loud CPU Fan

Post by recoil » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi I have just bought Sapphire Edge HD2, I want to use it as a media box. The CPU fan gets quiet loud, what can I do I have tried replacing the fan. It appears to be a bespoke unit though so getting something else to gin might be a bit tricky

CA_Steve

Re: Loud CPU Fan

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 am

Welcome to SPCR.

I hope you got this PC really cheap as it's a ~5 yr old design and predates the few watt Atom designs with integrated graphics. Chances are there isn't a fan profile in the BIOS, but it's worth a look.

As for a replacement, looking at a Youtube teardown, it's got a Sunon blower. If you were to open it up and get it model number, perhaps you could grab the specifications online and determine if it's DC or PWM max rpm, etc and then we could go from there.

edh

Re: Loud CPU Fan

Post by edh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:40 pm

How much do you want to cut it up? If you want to keep it inside it's current case and not hack big chunks out of it the only real advice I can give is to take the heatsink off and reapply with new thermal paste. Prebuilt systems aren't very well put together thermally.

If you are happy to cut it up, find yourself a big slab of a heatsink, a hacksaw and a drill and make yourself something custom!