CPU cooling for i7 8700k

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

josephdetor

CPU cooling for i7 8700k

Post by josephdetor » Sun May 19, 2019 11:23 pm

I have been researching a lot for my first PC build and I have come to the decision that Air Cooling is a better option for me at this point. I honestly don't want to deal with the maintenance of liquid cooling and failures that I have been convinced are problematic. I know that debate has a history, but for right now I believe I want a air cooler.

I have found the Phononic HEX 2.0 Thermoelectric CPU Cooler, Black to be very interesting, and I prefer the size of it so it fits nicely on my gigabyte z370 gaming 7 MB. From tests that I found it works within 1 degree of the cryorig r1 ultimate

The other choice I found is the Cryorig r1 Ultimate, which I have read many reviews that glorify its cooling abilities. I have noticed that it is huge and may block some RAM slots and aesthetically dominates the MB.

Abula

Re: CPU cooling for i7 8700k

Post by Abula » Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am

Welcome to SPCR!!!

Very interesting cooler that Phononic HEX 2.0 Thermoelectric, don't really like the way they placed the cables, i would have thought toward the top would been much easier to manage and not interfere with the GPU or even the looks of the build, specially the 6pin psu cable.

The best you can do is delid a 8700k, you can get 10-20C temp drops, i have experience 14C on load. There are deliders that can do this for a fee, i did mine with REMISCS, custom cooper ihs + liquid metal. Without the delid, on high load you will need lots of rpms to keep it cool, in essence, for me the delid was not for OCing, but to allow lower rpm operation, to me 4.7ghz on it is more than enough. You can still undervolt/underclock if you wish, but to me with the delid the cpu is perfect for my needs. If deliding is not something that you are comfortable or considering, then go with the 9700k, performance wise is very similar, and its a hybrid soldier/paste cpu, which still runs hot, but not as hot as the 8700k without deliding.

Single fan, the most capable cooler for low rpms is Thermalright LeGrandMacho, if you want the best bang for your buck in terms of cost and quietness, i would go with Scythe Mugen5 RevB, both will not overlap with the first PCIe slot and neither will have issues with memory height. Noctua NH-D15s is slightly better by adding a second fan under low rpms, but its marginal and it will end up costing more and you will need to go with standard height memory.