Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

anaturelover

air flow suggestion for p183 and 3 120 mm fan

Post by anaturelover » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 pm

hi i have the version of 183 from 2007.

i have 4 fans to reuse :
NF S12B FLX NOCTUA FAN
2 OF THEMNF P12 NOCTUA FAN

i might keep ifan for the futur gpu so IT REMAINS 3 FAN NOCTUA TO PLACE :)

ill have a 34 artic cooler heat sink for i5 3600.
i have cp850 antec psu wich push air out at the bottom if i recall right.
i have 2 hdd and 1 ssd.
i gpu

if i have to choose i would keep the top opening closed for better sound management.

Anyone knows this case and the art of air flow?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olle P

Re: air flow suggestion for p183 and 3 120 mm fan

Post by Olle P » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:50 am

This to some extent boils down to what graphics card you have.
Does it generate a lot of heat?
Is its cooler a blower type or does it just dump all heat inside the case?

You want a P12 at the upper front intake, running at medium to high speed, and a flex at the rear running at minimum speed.
If you need more cooling add the second P12 at the lower front and open the hatch between upper and lower channels.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:53 am

Interesting my friend

reading this question cooler a blower type or does it just dump all h i become aware that i m unconscious abot those differences.
how is that important?

but if i put 2 front med high and 1 low back, some air will be regurgitated front by the center front ? or should i tape close this front center?

by hatch do you mean take all the small rectangle from the red circle off and leave them open?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:57 am

anaturelover wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:53 am
reading this question cooler a blower type or does it just dump all h i become aware that i m unconscious abot those differences.
how is that important?
The blower type draws cool air from inside the case and push it all out at the rear of the computer. No need to manage the airflow inside the case in that situation. Downside is that those coolers are a bit noisy.
The nowadays more popular multi-fan heatsink style typically tries to draw cool air from underneath the graphics card and push the heated air sideways out all around the PCB. Then you need to direct a cool airflow towards the bottom of the case and have active evacuation of the heated air upwards/backwards.
anaturelover wrote:
but if i put 2 front med high and 1 low back, some air will be regurgitated front by the center front?
Absolutely not! The intake fans will (struggle a bit to) draw fresh air through the dust filters and into the case. The single exhaust fan will have no trouble to suck it all out, and the risk is that it's still so powerful that dusty and/or heated air will be (re)drawn into the case through any unfiltered openings at the rear.
anaturelover wrote:
by hatch do you mean take all the small rectangle from the red circle off...?
No, it's the horisontal black plastic hatch for cables behind the drive cages.
Either you let the PSU fan generate all airflow in the lower channel and then close this opening as much as possible, or
Install a fan at the bottom front intake and open the hatch to allow an airflow up into the upper chamber (to get more cool air to the graphics card).

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Absolutely not! The intake fans will (struggle a bit to) draw fresh air through the dust filters and into the case. The single exhaust fan will have no trouble to suck it all out, and the risk is that it's still so powerful that dusty and/or heated air will be (re)drawn into the case through any unfiltered openings at the rear.

how can that happen ? if i have 2 fan in front putting air from outside to inside and just a fan back taking air out there will be pressure inside the case just like if i blow a ballon, some air will go out from the back fan but the rest will search for hole in the case where it can leave outside? . that is why i hypothesis that some air will be pushed out of the case by the center front
like if one fan enters i decimeter cube of air , . we have 2 decimeter cube coming in and only one decimeter cube pulled out so there still is 1 decimeter cube of air searching a way out .

why do you say that
hat dusty and/or heated air will be (re)drawn into the case through any unfiltered openings at the rear.

buy i am complete noob in this . you seem to know about settups and neg pos air pressure? how good would you say you are in this subject ? noob intermediate expert?

tx

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 am

anaturelover wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 pm
like if one fan enters i decimeter cube of air , . we have 2 decimeter cube coming in and only one decimeter cube pulled out so there still is 1 decimeter cube of air searching a way out.
True, but that's not the situation here.
Assume you have two intake fans, each rated for ~40 cfm airflow of free air and one exhaust fan rated at ~25 cfm of free air (at your current settings).
The intake fans pull air through dust filters, so that air is not free but heavily restricted. They manage to pull <10 cfm each, totalling about 15 cfm together.
The exhaust fan on the other hand is essentially operating with free air, and will thus happily draw 25 cfm.
The ~10 cfm difference between those will mostly enter the case through the relatively large unfiltered openings at the expasion slot area of the case.

That's why it's essential to keep the exhaust fan to a minimum. It kan easily overpower the intake fans unless you use screamers for the intake.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 pm

Olle P wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:54 am
anaturelover wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 pm
like if one fan enters i decimeter cube of air , . we have 2 decimeter cube coming in and only one decimeter cube pulled out so there still is 1 decimeter cube of air searching a way out.
True, but that's not the situation here.
Assume you have two intake fans, each rated for ~40 cfm airflow of free air and one exhaust fan rated at ~25 cfm of free air (at your current settings).
The intake fans pull air through dust filters, so that air is not free but heavily restricted. They manage to pull <10 cfm each, totalling about 15 cfm together.
The exhaust fan on the other hand is essentially operating with free air, and will thus happily draw 25 cfm.
The ~10 cfm difference between those will mostly enter the case through the relatively large unfiltered openings at the expasion slot area of the case.

That's why it's essential to keep the exhaust fan to a minimum. It kan easily overpower the intake fans unless you use screamers for the intake.
hi i have not found what is a screamer ... do you have a picture?

i understand what you mean. then should i put simply 3 fan in front and none at back?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am

A "screamer" is a powerful high speed fan, typically any 12cm running >5,000 rpm. Not something you want if you come to this site for advice... :twisted:
My point is that the single exhaust fan should be set to run very slow, just to make sure some or most of the air blown into the case will exit there.

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 pm

got it

What about if i simply tell the air you know just get out where you can and I

put simply 3 fan in front and none at back?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:02 am

There's only dedicated places for two fans in the front.
You might be able to jury rig some fan at the 5.25" bays if you otherwise don't use these though. (MIne are occupied.)