Noctua fans for old D14

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolColJ

Noctua fans for old D14

Post by CoolColJ » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:14 pm

I need to replace the 140mm fan on my 10 year old Noctua D14 heatsink, it's starting to tick when set the motherboard flat, as opposed to when standing vertically when in the Silverstone FT02B... I guess the bearings wore down to the vertical positioning and are now uneven when used horizontally...

I'm thinking of a Noctua A12x25 fan up front, and an A14 in the middle

Or would be 2-3 A12x25 be a better noise/airflow ratio choice? Apart from being more costly.....

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Noctua fans for old D14

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 am

Your cooler won't support NF-A14. You can install here fans with 120mm fan's mounting holes (So 120mm fans or so called ,,oversize" like 140mm fans with 120mm fan's mounting holes). About your question about airflow/noise ratio - 140mm fans can move more air with the same speed as 120mm, but they are then noisier than smaller ones. Three fans running the same speed are noisier than two fans. About your bearing thought - possible, but maybe it's just old. Generally only one type of bearing for which placing it horizontally is bad, is sleeve bearing, but that's mostly cheap fans, which are not worth spending even smaller money they cost. I suggest some with overally the best FD (Fluid Dynamic) bearing. FDB means mostly high quality, long lifespan, so reliable and quiet bearing, which doesn't care about position.

I would go with two decent 120mm fans. Maybe your system (I don't know your CPU, I don't know, if it's oced) doesn't even need that much cooling power and it would do well with only one fan placed between towers. Definitely leave the idea of third fan - it was tested few times on various coolers and it doesn't make a difference.

NF-A12x25 is rather the best you can buy. A little worse (performance and noise), but cheaper alternative will be Scythe Kaze Flex 120 mm. And there's also one phenomenon - Arctic P12. That's like A12x25 for 30% price. Ofc you suspect, there's no miracles and Arctic is not Jesus Christ of cooling solutions. Known issues are: cheap, easy to bend or just uneven plastic construction, strange, irrytating noise during random rpm (mostly ~1000 rpm), some of them die after like month. Not everybody has such problems with them, but generally these are typical problems of cheap fans. Keep in mind that, the lighter your CPU, the lighter your load, the smaller differences between fans performance, so it's doesn't always make sense going hi-end.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:37 am

Well I should be able to mount the A14 on my heatsink, as I emailed Noctua, and they said they can send me wire clips (for free) to mount the A14 and A12x25 on the D14

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 am

So it's only thanks to legendary Noctua's support ;) First I would try this cooler with the fan you just own placed between the towers. It can happen, that temps will be the same or not importantly worse, it can happen, that one fan won't need to go faster and cooler will end being quieter. If that won't satisfy you, you know, what you can do. And I have in mind, that Noctua plans to release by the end of this year new 140mm fan, they worked for years and also successor to NH-D15, so buying anything from them now feels to me kinda not so good.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 pm

I've noticed my 970 Evo plus NVMe drive gets really hot, idle around 59 degrees...

I tried putting a 120mm fan running at 600rpm in front of the D14 and that dropped the temps of the 970 Evo plus by 5 degrees.
So even if it doesn't help the CPU be cooler, it does help my NVMe drives! :D

my 140mm fan no longer makes a click sound since I put the fan back into a vertical position.
So I guess I will wait for a few months

Eventually will use 2x140mm and 1x120mm I think running a lower RPM, so same cooling but lower noise

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 pm

I use my SX8200 Pro for more than one year and if I remember well from HWInfo, it was never above 35C. Now its 29C. (EDIT: I should add it's webbrowsing, but also gaming machine with 9700K and 2070S in closed Define 7 case, so not too cold from any side) But it lays under motherboard's radiator and that makes a difference. I'm not really interested in drive topic, but if I'm right, you can buy radiators for NVMe.

It's strange that this fan is sensitive with position, but Noctua uses (or just names) their own bearing, so I really can't speak about it (never used them also). To me it's mostly some kind of FDB, so it shoudn't be like that, but nothing for sure. They are the best ones to ask.

Combinations like more fans with plan to running them on lower rpm is unpredictable, so you just have to try it for yourself. More fans means more sources noise, but maybe they will give you opportunity to run them that low, it will do better than fewer fans. It all depends on the case, config and your own ears ;)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Got my new setup up and running in my Silvertsone Ft02b

and it seems the middle 140mm fan makes a weird intermodulation sound when stress testing in Cinebench 20. Like a propellor plane type sound... so will likely replace it eventually anyway
Ryzen 3800x boosting to 4.175ghz now holds at 70degrees with 21 ambient. D14 fans hitting about 723RPM

I had to remove the middle bottom AP183 180mm fan at the bottom to fit my MSI RTX 3070 Trio, but then decided to place it ontop the right bottom fan, with gaff tape holding it place :)
Not ideal but it still increases airflow, and together with my old Sycthe S-flex 120mm on the top right at 600rpm, also gaff taped against the power supply keeps the Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe drive idling at 48 degrees now

I also decided to finally use a Sycthe Kaze Jyuni 120mm I bought 9 years on the bottom left directing airflow against the X570 chipset (although it's fan never comes on anyway) and the RTX 3070, also flows up air to the my Western Digital SN550 NVMe in the Silvertsone PCIe adapter. This keeps the RTX 3070 trio's fan completely off, instead of it turning on and off periodically, although it's pretty much inaudible anyway.
This fan has more airflow than the S-flex, but not as quiet as my Noctua S12b on the single top case exhaust

Plenty of room on top of the heatsink for another 140mm fan

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:25 am

I don't mean to be rude, but buy yourself a decent, modern case - you will do yourself a favour ;) It will handle your config nicely with just two or three strong and quiet case fans (maybe even without silence breaker mesh top), it will be easy to avoid this cables mess (it also increases temps), experiments with tape and placing fans around the case won't be needed. It could be also rather better filtered, so lower maintenence. My reccomendation is known from my personal experience Define 7 or 7XL. I'm interested in case market and bought it, because to me these are overally the best cases you can buy now no matter the expectations (except of ones seeing some incompatibility problems - rather mostly custom loop things). I even uploaded here a video (General Gallery), how it cools and handles the noise during load (I have similarly hot config), so if I were you, even still loving your Silverstone, I would compare it with what you have. This case does great everything, but we buy cases mostly for pure performance and it's shown.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 am

Cable mess pretty much unavoidable due to all the PCIe and bay devices I have, and 2 rear external USB3 routed to front bay :)
And I have routed a lot of them behind the motherboard
Last edited by CoolColJ on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 am

If you are satisfied with what you have - great ;)

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 am

FT02 similar to Raven 02 still one of the best for air cooling, but it is a pain to work with

[/quote]

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:04 am

I wouldn't look too much at Case Torture of GN's graphs. These are not really useful - stressing CPU and GPU both is not typical use of computer and it increases the differences in cooling potential between cases to levels, which won't show in real life usage. Plus add to this shitty air cooler GN uses, which works the same way. This graph is maybe useful for harcdore overclockers with high-end, so hottest components. Like mesh mostly rule on CT graphs, because of letting the heat passively flow from the case thru every hole. But during other procedures they are not that impressive. If you're a gamer, look at 3D Mark graph, if you do some CPU/GPU havy tasks - Blender. These show real-life differences between cases. And always keep next to Acoustics graph, because during these pocedures case fans are blazing 100% speed. The only accurate way of comparing cooling potential of cases is how they handle GPU cooling - with CPU there's too much aspects, which would completely change results. Like better cooler than shitty MSI Core Frozr used by GN would comletely dicrease differences in terms of CPU cooling. AiO on top of some almost closed top be quiet! cases would result in massacre of everything temps.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:09 am

The only modern case I might like is the Coolermaster MasterCase SL600M due to the same vertical layout as the FT02

Once you go vertical, you never go back :)

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 am

But why that vertical way matters to you so much? SL600M does great in terms of cooling, with noise it's just decent, but I wonder, how it stays with dust filtration or ease of use and maintenance. I find vertical layout nicely innovative, greatly cooling, but it's to me not worth it - opening the top is from my experience (checked with Define 7's alternative, perforated top) just silence breaker (mostly during load) and placing the fans here will make it even worse. I'm used to the standard of having my computer silent as off during webbrowsing and during gaming most of the time staying unnoticeable, because of sound from the speakers.

If we talk about me, I change your quoute a little and say, if you go sound-dampened case, you never go back :] The well ventilated case can be quiet with fans no needing to run higher speeds. But how much you will be able to lower the speed in some case compared to rather worse venitlated, but sound-dampened one is unpredictable, because it depends on so many aspects like your config, load or environment. And that case will be always open - for noise to escape, for dust to enter. The thing with silence-focused cases is the sound deadening material fully consumes most irritating noises like coil whine, fans bearing/motor sounds and most importantly just changes the overall pc noise for quiter, less noticeable and kinda pleasant to the ears. I just like, how my computer sounds during load :>

Maybe you would be interested in waiting for new Silverstone case - Alta F1, which was announced like half a year ago, so I would expect it to be available soon (if no problems with developing progress). If I remember well, it will mix vertical layout with sound-deadening material. But I said something about opening the top before.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 am

For me it's just more efficient, the vertical lay out - heat rises, so when idling and having fans run at slow speeds, nature already provides the flow of heat upwards naturally. So fans do not have to run as fast to provide the same cooling.

And I might try the new Noctua fanless heatsink later this year when it releases. 2nd quarter I read.
The FT02 using the bottom 180mm fans, and the vertical layout will pair well with this type of heat sink.

---

It seems the 180mm fan in the FT02 I removed and placed onto the right hand side one was causing the vibration type propellor noises not the 140mm fan on the heatsink... so I removed it.
And also the right side Scythe S-flex fan, I moved and placed in it's positio. Now it's near silent when idling, and really quiet under full load.
970 Evo Plus NVMe idles at 53 degrees now... :(
But the SN550 still stays around 35, thanks to the superior Silverstone ECM24 larger and finned heatsink on the PCIe Nvme adapter vs motherboard NVMe heatsinks

That extra 180mm fan I removed makes a big difference.
This will have to do until I get a shorter video card, but all the quiet higher performance video cards are triple fan based, and so are long :?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 am

Overally what I would do, if I were you:

CPU: try owned 120mm no problemo fan between towers only. If it won't be satysfying with CPU temps, I would go only with adding one A12. A12 are awesome, but it would be rather nicer to have this new, shiny, produced for so long 140 mm Noctua's fan :> But keep in mind, waiting always can get longer than planned end of this year - especially these times. I wouldn't bother with any passive soultions like Noctua cooler or PSU. My PSU XFX TS 650W is rather from louder ones than quieter, but I never heard it (it will change ofc with some higher-powered build, but it's decent PSU, which I bought on sale for really cheap and no problem buying some high-wattage RMx, which will serve me for years). When idle, I'm able to notice sound of my Ninja 5 cooler after both fans crossing 650 rpm. But during idle it never go that fast. During gaming it stays between 500-600 rpm (50-60C), but Cyberpunk is rare exception and it can go to 700 to keep 9700K below 70C. But even then it's still much quieter than case fans and GPU.

NVMe problems: buy radiator. I find it better than effort of experimenting with adding fans around it with maybe not fully satisfying result. And radiator is silent. Maybe you find such experiments entertaining, but I prefer to pay more for low maintenance or no problems and worries.

Case: if you like your current, keep it, but personally I would think about a change with not only airflow and noise in mind. Case is also ease of build or possibilities going with its capacity, which greatly affects its usability and lifespan. The best coolers are big, the same with GPUs and both tend to get bigger and bigger. And most important - dust filtration. Low maintenance is worth to me so much money - you pay more once, you have so much less job for possibly many years. With adequate cooling solutions for all components, you won't bother about temps or noise, you won't even need to experiment with it too much. And remember that bigger the fans, the noisier they are on the same speed, so it's hard to say, that big fans like 180mm will beat 140mm in terms of performance/noise ratio. You have few 120-140mm fans comparison on yt and it will be kinda analogic.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 am

Well my Corsair HX1200 is passive 99% of the time - the fan only comes on at >600w load, and it never does in my system :)
RTX 3070 and boosted Ryzen 3800x is not enough power draw for it to get hot.
And it also faces vertically so gets nice natural convection heat dispersion, and only drawing cold air from outside
1200w is overkill, but that's why it stays passive.

I might try the A12x25 on my D14
The original CPU fans are the only things that make noticeable noise in my system under load right now, at around 50% speed and 70+ degrees under Cinebench 20.

If i can get it down a few more db, then it will be really quiet under load, even late at night.
Essentially unnoticeable from 1m away

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:58 am

If we talk about HX, I have a question :] Does it ever noticeably turn on? I heard people complaining about semi-passive PSUs (when mounted with fan on the bottom, so not really your example) being kinda noisy with that and I've never had s-p one. I was always like sure, that PSUs fans are connected to load wattage (it seems obvious according to the curves on fan rpm, which are wattage/rpm), but maybe in fact they're (or just some) temperature controlled... So this wattage/rpm graph just pictures speed, you can expect, because of usual temperature inside PSU under various loads. I ask because my next PSU will be (for now) Corsair RMx 1000W (when having 650W, changing it to decent 750W and maybe later 850W is waste of money). And I would prefer to mount it with fan on the bottom to have the fan filtered and not messing with case airflow.

If your CPU fans are loud around 50% rpm (so ~600-650 rpm), they are rather worn out and worth changing. Generally every the same size fan (just not shitty, but decent) is kinda the same quiet and just quiet operating around that speed. Fans start to noticeably differ in acoustics after crossing 700-800 rpm. There is ofc also type of sound they create, but that's subjective - I don't like sound of Noctuas (I mean even flagships, not that shit Redux), I like the most Silent Wings 3, but they're not good radiator fans, because of surprisingly bad performance under 800 rpm - the speed rather no silence-focused wants to cross.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 am

I have never seen or heard my HX1200 fan turn on, while in Windows, gaming, benchmarking, stress testing or working in my DAW creating music, when I had it sitting outside for 2 months before moving it into the case.
Either with the fan facing up, or on it's side.

The fan turns on briefly when first power up, and even then it's quiet at full speed.

The power supply stayed cool with the fan facing up.
The casing did get warmer with the fan facing sideways, but still the fan never came on.

They are made to sustain 1200w for hours, so < 500w load even without a fan is not going to stress it too much I think :)
Plus the 10 year warranty is nice...

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 am

Thank you for the info, because it was to me a little confusing - as I thought whole life, that PSU's fan rpm depends on wattage, not temperature. Plus I have bad experience with my first semi-passive GPU - currently owned 2070S Gigabyte Gaming OC. When semi-passive, it turns on fans really loudly for one, two secounds and then they start to run according to the speed of the curve. You can imagine, that when sitting in quiet room with computer working silently it kinda irritatingly scares. I don't know, if that's normal or that just this model or with my card is something wrong (but everything else is fine). It's the most irritating during some low-load games when it happens one after another. But that's generally no problem, because my case silence GPU enough, that I can't notice the difference between them turned off and running minimum 1000 rpm without just putting my ear to the case. So I accidentally discovered one other advantage of having, closed, silenced case I wasn't thinking about when buying it :>

BTW Corsair make one of the best PSUs, which are quiet, so I understand your overkill one. My next will be also like that - 1000W, reliable PSU for ten years of producers warranty (which with Corsair is known for treating customers well). For such plan it must be overkill-wattage and quiet all range of it - without it, it doesn't make sense to me.

And coming back to cooler fans, I think I wasn't really clear about the noise - modern, not shitty cooler fans running 600-700 in any chassis should be quiet close to inaudible, so rather there's something with your Noctuas. I don't know it they're worn out, I suspect even new of that model woudn't be that quiet as nowadays strong contenders, but there's no point of deliberating - you don't feel good with them, you buy better :]

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:48 am

I had been setting my fans in the MSI bios
Speedfan no longer works with modern systems

But I came across Fancontrol
https://github.com/lich426/FanCtrl/releases

And this allows you to see all your fans and control them in windows, including automatic control based on temps senors, very nice!
You can save fan curve presets as well

I set my Noctua D14 fans to 50% and it's near silent, hmm strange. Only at 60% can I faintly hear them now, a low woosh
The bios control must be running them much faster than 50% or doing other things...

I just set my D14 fans to hit 55% at 75 degrees, 60% at 85 degrees and no more noise, when loading all cores 8)

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 am

I reccomend you set case and cooler fans in bios and for GPU use default GPU program (Dragon Center? If it allows to set fan curves) or MSI Afterburner, but I've never tried your linked one and maybe it does fine.

Bios for maybe more options than fan curve in such programs. For example timings of changing speed are to some point remedium for jumps of temps of Ryzen 3000 CPUs, so cooler going crazy. Mine changes speed after 6 secounds from temperature change. The same with case fans. I like mine consistent 300 rpm till CPU reaches temperature it doesn't go below during gaming (case fans cool also GPU) and then consistent 1000 rpm (damn quiet in this case - Silent Wings 3 140mm ofc, but default fans are not too much louder). To decrease amount of such jums when some CPU heavy thing like youtube or a lot of browser tabs warms up my CPU for few secounds, case fans are changing speed after 12 secounds from changing the CPU temp. If I remember well, MSI bios doesn't allow to set such high timings, but maybe yours does. Bios should also have option like Fan Speed Detection ( it rather has some fancy name like mine Fan Tuning :> ) - you run it and it discovers range of connected fans speeds.

I experimented a lot with GPU curve since showing it in my topic and in the end I found the best default fan curve xD It's not flat from some point as I use to have (to block it from speeding too much), it runs up aggressive, but thanks to that it reacts fastly, so my GPU now runs cooler and most of the time quieter. When I tried to make it also run up, but a little less aggresive (I bet MSI style), it ended with reaching lower highest speeds, but running overally, for more time, faster - it surprisingly seemed overally louder.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 pm

Ugh MSI Dragon Centre is bloated as hell, not touching it!
MSi Afterburner works well for the GPU -
I also just realized the Power management mode option in the Nvidia control panel, when set of max performance, keeps the video card heating up when in desktop, so that's why the fan kept turning back on after it goes off when the temperature drops under 55 degrees...

In the MSi Bios fan control you can set between 0.1 to 0.7/1sec delay between each temperature change, so it works out to about 10 seconds to go from minimum speed to maximum speed on the highest setting, but I haven't needed to use such long settings.
Even though the IG Thermal Graphite pad I use instead of thermal paste reacts extremely fast to temperature changes.

The Software above doesn't seem to need a delay , it works well, but you can set it using the Hysteresis function.
Being able to tweak the exact fan speed curve while your in windows benching or gaming means it's better than doing it in bios.
And you can change between different fan curves on the fly.
Only just need Bios to select between DC or PWM mode and a basic curve

Also allows to set fan speed to video card temperature, which is not an option in Bios

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:19 am

I heard a lot of bad impressions about Dragon Center, but I couldn't believe, how thay can make bad such a basic program with mostly fan curve, RGB or some oc options. I find Afterburner combined with Riva Tuner to be the one program you need for everything with GPU (see framerate etc during gaming, fps blocking, undervolting, oc, even basic hardware monitoring, but HWInfo rules ofc).

People mostly find power menagement options (Nvidia Control Panel + overall system in Windows Panel) to be pointless. I keep it as reccomended (Optimal Power for GPU and Balanced of Windows). But I would like see some benchmark comparing it to more power spending options (there's rather no online or I've never found).

As I though with MSI's timings, because it's like that on Z490 boards. Better than nothing I would say.

I don't know about efficiency of newest and best thermal pads, but they used to be perform worse than some top-notch thermal paste like Kryonaut. I personally use that Grizzly, because paste is just cheap, but allows you to reach full potential of cooler and CPU you paid for so much more - no matter how big are the differences, pastes are maybe still unbeaten, so combined with like non-existing price I find it worth it.

Windows programs are a must for benchmarking and finding the best settings. I've even sticked to my motherboard's default for a while (ASRock A-Tuning), but it made me stop using it, when it two times for no reason reset my case fan seetings to default. I was always starting with Windows and then loading them, so I don't know, what was the reason and I'm not interested enough to search for it, when I can set the same in bios and it works perfectly. Knowing about existence of program, which allows you set your case fans according to GPU temps, would save me so much tweaking and checking in various games - that's saves just pain of finding CPU temperature, which you don't go below during games in case of cooling GPU all the time (Yakuza Kiwami 2 warms my CPU to max like 52C, Cyberpunk during regulal gameplay doesn't go below 60C...). Good to know for the future configs :]

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:56 am

Regading the thermal pad, it's within a few degrees of a good paste, but so much less hassle with cleaning.

And it will outlast any thermal paste. I don't intend to pull my heatsink off again for a good 5-8 years once I finalize my long term CPU, either a Ryzen 5900x or or an Intel Alder Lake :)
And thermal paste does not really like high temps - this thermal pad can handle temps over 80 degrees easy, which are quite common with Ryzen

It will never dry out, and the heat conduction will remain constant for years.
Another plus for the thermal pads is the extremely fast heat spreading from side to side of a chip, handy with Ryzen with the separate chiplet design.
Plus paste tends to stick to the cpu and pull it out of the socket when you remove the heatsink on AMD...

The temps drop within a few seconds after load has been lifted, it's amazing - 80 degrees to 45 in 2 secs

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:29 am

You got strong points about advantages of thermal pads, but my point is - if you satisfied with CPU temps and performance, no need to mess with cooling solutions. From my experience with thermal pastes, I noticed, they not only differ in reducing the temps, but better pastes keep temps more consistent, so I would try it with having in mind temperature jumps of Ryzens 3000. I was unsatisfied with my 9700K temps paired with cooler I had from previous build, but I also used paste given by producer (it was onl 5C or less weaker than Kryonaut in tests online). I swapped it to Kryonaut and it lowered my temps 7-10C, but also made them more consistent, so cooler was working nicer (I couldn't use timings to work with it, because it costs temps). But I have to add, that was rather unadequate cooler for this CPU, so the differences was increased by that. With stock paste it was often reaching lower 80's during CPU heavy game Kingdom Come Deliverance (btw awesome game - virtual trip to Middle Ages Europe) and experiments with fan curve didn't do much - it was just too weak. Swapped to Scythe Ninja 5 and it's does awesome.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 am

Hmm your temps shouldn't be loading that high while gaming since games don't load all cores to full.
Even my Ryzen 3800x only hits > 80 degrees with the stock cooler set at low fan speed, and only while in Cinebench.
With the D14 and in gaming, it rarely cracks 60 degrees

---

New version of the above Fan control software is sweet

Unlike Bios fan control, you can setup your case fans to both CPU and GPU temperature, under auto control, so which ever sensor is higher at any given time, it's fan curve will be used instead

It can now control my video card's fans as well!

my setup

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am

That was just bad combination of cooler and CPU. 9700K is warm one even at stock and with MCE disabled and it was paired with Silentium PC Fortis 3 ( Pure Rock category). But I had it, it was doing great with overclocked 6600K, so I decided to give it a chance. And KCD is excellent game to test your CPU cooling in gaming conditions.

Donate Lich - he solved your problems! =D

And how're your shopping plans? Still want new fans?

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:42 am

I am thinking about trying two Noctua A12x25 on my D14

My ram height limits me to a 120mm at the back, so it makes sense to use two same sized fans
Or I can flip the D14 around and have two 140mm in a pull configuration, which doesn't have the noise of the D15 makes with it's fans, when used like that.
Due to the vibration spacers on the D14 from what I am told.

On the other hand, spending that much on fans, I could almost buy a new Noctua heatsink from Newegg, directly from Noctua's Taiwan branch, for much cheaper than other places :)

Also thinking about that fanless Noctua heatsink, which can do 180w with nearby case fans.
That would solve many things at once, apart from its massive size....
At least no more extra noise under load.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 am

Sorry for such a late response, but I was sure, I answered you ;)

All I wanted to say, just tell, how things going after some modifications.

And I see, you are really concerned about noise (even you think about passive cooler), so my general advice is, leave the idea of high airflow case and fans working slower (how much slower is hard to guess) and go for some just decently ventilated closed and silenced case like Define series - you should find it better or at least see, what is better for you.