Noctua fans for old D14

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CoolColJ

Re: Noctua fans for old D14

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:06 am

Fortress has some silencing

But the CPU fans are making some dull thud sound under load, so they will need to be replaced

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am

So share your thoughts after some upgrades :]

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 am

I removed the 140mm fan from the D14 heatsink, and just had the single 120mm P12 fan in the middle
Temps under full rendering load increased by 2 degrees at 700rpm, to 74, not bad.
Dropped back to 72 degrees at 1000rpm and seemed quieter without the 140mm fan even at this rpm...

But was still getting the dull thud sound....

I traced it back to the top Noctua S12b case fan.... seems a bit unbalanced as it spins over 600rpm....

I can replace it with Scythe Kaze Jyuni 120mm which I originally was choosing between the two for the case fan top slot, but opted for the Noctua as it was quieter when compared outside, but inside the case the Scythe is far quieter even though it spins a higher RPM, and seems to move more air as well
It's currently sitting inside the case at the bottom facing my GPU.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:38 pm

You bought this damn Arctic P12 (sorry if I don't remember, what we talked before) ? There're problems with them, but if yours happens being not problematic - you are lucky with buying current peak of fans for 30% price it costs (NF-A12x25).

To be honest, I just don't like, how NF-A and these Arctics sound. They are one of the types of sound of fan I don't like. For my ears they kinda try to sound in a way it's hard to notice, but there's also something extremaly irritating in it. Like some hiss/whistle sound, which I just can't stand. I personally prefer Silent Wings 3. They are not best radiator fans, but great as a case fans and I really like their sound - it feels like bq! worked hard on that aspect: deep, low, also kinda trying be unnoticeable, but in really pleasnt to my ears way. But I like tolerate, let's say typically sounding fans like Fractal's Dynamics I had by default in case or Scythe Kaze Flex I have on my cooler. Both aren't quietest available, but they are just quiet and doing great.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:45 pm

No it's the Noctua P12 120mm that came with the D14 heatsink

Put both the CPU fans back on the D14 - the 140mm fan running at 600 rpm at full load.

I swapped the Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1200prm fan with the Noctua S12b to the top case fan slot - way quieter and more air flow.
Can't hear the Noctua S12b inside the case

Anyway I'm happy now, system is almost inaudible at full load when rendering and holds at 72 degrees with 24 degree ambient

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:09 pm

If almost inaudible and 72C during rendering, it seems fine.

Most important is that, you are happy with it : )