Friend of SPCR

AeroCool heatsink

Post by efcoins » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:18 pm

this heatsink
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=2641

Looks as though it will be effective and quiet, has anyone used one

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:11 am

I will pick up one DP-102 around X-mas time and do some serious testing with. I believe it will be a very good heatsink for low airflow. Review results are really good, but I have not seen any test with real low airflow and this heatsink yet.

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:32 am

crazy looking. very tall (100mm!) and heavy (580g!). Installation would pose some a difficulties. I mean the Thermalright SLK-800 is 75g lighter and I thought it was heavy. FrostyTech has a review in the works.

if you're german theres a review: http://www.tuningtotal.de/?page=tests/aero102/index_01

another hs with a similar architecture: nPowerTek TTIC NPH-1 Heatpipe Heatsink

hs with a somewhat similar architecture: Auras T6C

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:09 am

I think the heatsink should be a slightly better performer than Thermal Transtec TTIC-NPH-2.
The NPH-2 performed 0.29 C/W with 70*15mm fan at 3600RPM (spec 31dBA 31.5CFM).

The major difference is that DP-102 can take 80mm fans and that DP-102 has finns made of copper. This should make it a slightly better performer.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:22 am

Yes the weight and size worried me as well.
If it mounted using the 4 motherbord holes then there would not be a problem, but for a clip on HS, it looks a bit dodgy to me.

There is an aluminium version DP-101 but I have not seen a retailer

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:01 am

I believe that the DP-101 does only take a 70mm fan. That will make it a lot more troublesome to quiet down compared to DP-102 that can take 2*80mm fans.
It takes huge forces to move a heatsink once it is attached to the sockel. So once it is mounted I would not worry unless I had to send the box with postal service or similar.
Moving in my own car should not be a problem. I would still be more worried about my HDD and screen when moving the computer.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:59 am

Just some more info on the DP-102 cooler.
First of all they have linked a few more reveiws on Aero Cools page about the cooler.

The Norwegian review on ocshoot.no has good pictures, but review is not that detailed.
They do cliam it to be good with the "low speed fan". Not really sure what the low speed is, but it certainly is 12V.

The [url=http://www.ginun.com/index.php3?page=Te ... p10206.htm]review at Ginun on the last page[url] has an interesting comparison with ThermalRight SLK-800. It is hard to tell if the comparison was done in a fair way. Perhaps someone with better language skills can help out.
They do put on 2 aluminum fram fans to this already heavy cooler. I would say that is an interesting move...

Unfortunetely none of the reviews are up to top standards, and none present good comparable C/W numbers etc.

The review by Hartware.net and Dirkvader.de is probably still the best.

You can clearly see that this is a very good cooler. Hartware.net has clear evidence that it performs a lot better than the predeccessor DP-101.