Removing Scythe Kamakaze

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vegita

Removing Scythe Kamakaze

Post by Vegita » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:09 pm

I'm thinking about getting this HSF for my 2600+ since I don't think a Zalman 7000A will fit.

Since the Kamakaze is HEAVY (690g), should I remove it when I "move" my computer?

If so, is it easy to remove the HSF?

Thanks

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:09 pm

You should always remove such a heavyweight HSF before moving the computer. That's my advice. Can't tell you wether this particular HSF is easy or hard to mount/dismount tho.

Vegita

Post by Vegita » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:28 pm

What's the normal procedure for removing a HSF? I'm guessing you don't have to reapply thermal paste each time?

Could anyone who owns the Kamakaze provide some insight on how easy it is to dismount when moving the computer?

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:29 pm

You really should reapply thermal paste every time.

That said, I have replaced a HSF without doing it myself. Temps might have gone up 1-2 celcius, more than the margin of error, I imagine. I watched temps carefully, ran prime 95 etc.

I don't recommend trying that. Just do a nice job cleaning with 90% or better alcohol or acetone and a lint free cloth. I actually use coffee filters (unbleached) because they are cheap and lint free, always grab one from the centre of the stack else it will have dust on it.