SilenX case fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Joe Timewaster

SilenX case fans

Post by Joe Timewaster » Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:50 am

Has anyone here had any experience of SilentX case fans?

I was looking around (toe in water style) for larger and quieter fans and I stumbled on the fact SilentX also sell very quiet case fans (and ship internationally!)

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/vi ... Category=3

They claim to blow the 'flo's and the Papst's out the the proverbial water. Are these claims realistic?

"if it's too good to be true it probaby is".

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: SilentX case fans

Post by JVM » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:02 am

Joe Timewaster wrote:Has anyone here had any experience of SilentX case fans?

I was looking around (toe in water style) for larger and quieter fans and I stumbled on the fact SilentX also sell very quiet case fans (and ship internationally!)

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/vi ... Category=3

They claim to blow the 'flo's and the Papst's out the the proverbial water. Are these claims realistic?

"if it's too good to be true it probaby is".
I find their specified noise levels kind of hard to believe. I truly wonder how they were tested for noise. I mean, 58 cfm and only 14 db of noise??? :roll:

einolu

Post by einolu » Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:31 am

Well someone should test them!

~EO

prodeous

Post by prodeous » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:25 pm

Well especialy now.

More new fans. full range from 60 to 120 mm fans

and at the lowest db ever 9dBa. 9... that, if acurate, is amazing.

zuperdee

Wow!!!!

Post by zuperdee » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:39 pm

Those are really amazing specs!!! If these are true, will someone please say so?!? I could use a high-flowing, quiet fan!!!

xarope

Post by xarope » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:31 am

I did buy 8 of them last year (silenx 80mm 14dBa with thermistor), here are some comments:

- I have a superflower aluminium case, with two intakes in front, 1 side, and 1 exhaust in the back and top. I replaced the intakes in front and side with the silenx fans, replaced the rear exhaust and took out the top.
- The blue silicon grommets are great (4 come with each fan).
- Noise is much lower than with the default fans, no annoying buzzing etc. But I am running them at the full voltage (all three fans are connected to the MB - I have a K8T w/3200+) and don't plan on undervolting.
- I live in singapore, where ambient temps are 30+degrees celsius, and the room where the PCs live is not air conditioned (except when it gets too hot!), usually just a small fan running when my wife or I are in there.
- Unfortunately I have no other frame of reference for these fans, as panaflo's are non-existent in this country; note that I had to order my silenx fans from silenx on-line, and Peter Kim was very helpful.
- I can safely say though, using the "cheek" test, that the CFM is nowhere near as high as the default fans in the superflower, so I don't know how "high flowing" you could call it.

I did also buy a silenx 400W PSU which now lives in an ASUS A7N8X w/Barton 2500+), it is also MUCH quieter than the verudium 470W I am using with my K8T (the case also has 2x80mm silenx fans for intake, and 1x80mm silenxe for exhaust).

Come to think of it, I still have a spare fan I haven't put in anywhere... hmm...

<edit> here we go, found a couple of reviews, not sure how reliable or scientific though:

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/silfan/

http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/fans/silenx/

</edit>

Joe Timewaster

Post by Joe Timewaster » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:18 pm

Well with the lack of Panaflo availability in the UK in the sizes for my needs (anyone got any links to reliable resellers?), I'm seriously considering getting some of these puppies. On price they beat the Papst fans too and delivered to your door. If they live up to the specs, who can ask for more?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:06 pm

I wonder who makes these SilentX fans. There are a lot fewer fan manufacturers than the number of brands would suggest. It is hard to believe that a small company like SilentX has technology that others don't have.

I would not be surprised if the SilentX fans are actually 24V fans that run at low RPM's (with lower noise and lower CFM) when run at 12V.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:01 pm

m0002a wrote:I wonder who makes these SilentX fans. There are a lot fewer fan manufacturers than the number of brands would suggest. It is hard to believe that a small company like SilentX has technology that others don't have.

I would not be surprised if the SilentX fans are actually 24V fans that run at low RPM's (with lower noise and lower CFM) when run at 12V.
1) SilenX could be selling rebranded fans from another company--we all know this happens all the time. (One example being the Vantec Stealth fan, made by Nidec.)

2) I seriously doubt SilenX would be misleading people with false advertising on basic specs like voltage, cause that is illegal.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:10 pm

I don't think it is illegal at all. If a “24V” fan turns at 12V, the maximum voltage is irrelevant. Lots of people run 12V fans at 5-7 volts. The voltage rating on fans is not necessarily an objective measurement since most fans operate over a range of voltages.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:16 pm

BTW, if anyone can get an 80mm fan to have an air flow of 28 CFM with 14 dBA, then I don't care if they use a 24V fan running at reduced voltage to do that.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:28 pm

m0002a wrote:I don't think it is illegal at all. If a “24V” fan turns at 12V, the maximum voltage is irrelevant. Lots of people run 12V fans at 5-7 volts. The voltage rating on fans is not necessarily an objective measurement since most fans operate over a range of voltages.
I think it most certainly would be illegal, considering that ALL OTHER SPECS, including the stated current draw, air flow rate, and noise level, will be dependent on the fan being driven at the stated voltage. When a manufacturer makes a fan, they design it with that voltage in mind--that's why they have the rated speed and current draw that they do. Yes, fans CAN be undervolted and maybe even overvolted slightly, but then any manufacturer with any sense of decency should tell you, "we cannot guarantee the performance of your fan, since you are not driving it at our stated voltage."

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:19 pm

As I stated, I doubt seriously that SilenX actually makes those fans. They probably use stock fans, or maybe have them made by someone else to their specifications. It is highly unlikely that SilenX owns any proprietary fan technology that others don’t have.

As for guaranteeing the performance of a fan that is not driven at the stated voltage, SilenX only states one voltage (12V), one CFM, and one dB-A level. All fan manufacturers state CFM (or metric equivalent) and dB-A at a specific voltage without making any disclaimer about it's performance at other voltages. Some manufacturers specify a range of voltages for their fans, but SilenX does not.

If SilenX fans perform at their rated CFM and dB-A at 12V, then there is nothing illegal about their claims, even if the fan can operate at 24V (which is admittedly speculation on my part). I don't think their is total consistency in the fan CFM and dB-A ratings anyway from one manufacturer to another.

Also, you seem to be confusing decency with what is legal. But as I stated, if the SilenX fans operate as advertised at 12V (which many people are skeptical about) then there is nothing immoral or illegal about their claims, even if the same fan is rated by someone else at 24V.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:41 pm

Ah, I see--so you're saying maybe SilenX is rating at 12 volts a fan that the original manufacturer designed for 24 volts? I guess that's possible, but in that case, I don't understand what advantage that would be over one "designed" for 12V in the first place. Everyone knows, for example, that the Panaflo L1A is quieter than the M1A undervolted to provide the same airflow as an L1A.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:52 pm

I didn't know that the Panaflo L1A is quieter than the M1A undervolted to provide the same airflow as an L1A. I have wondered about that.

I certainly don't know that the SilenX fans are undervolted 24V fans. But the SilenX specs are so much better than any other fans I have seen, that I was trying to come up with some explanation.

I really don't think that SilenX has its own proprietary fan manufacturing facility. As one reviewer noted, the SilenX fans are rather “industrial” looking, not something that would be designed from scratch for use in a PC these days.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:27 pm

m0002a wrote:I didn't know that the Panaflo L1A is quieter than the M1A undervolted to provide the same airflow as an L1A. I have wondered about that.
Yeah--check out this thread for an example (U1A admittedly, but similar, nonetheless):
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 1d1572c48a
m0002a wrote:I certainly don't know that the SilenX fans are undervolted 24V fans. But the SilenX specs are so much better than any other fans I have seen, that I was trying to come up with some explanation.
Hehe--I sure would like to know the explanation, too... But I'm quite certain an undervolted 24V is NOT the explanation.
m0002a wrote:I really don't think that SilenX has its own proprietary fan manufacturing facility. As one reviewer noted, the SilenX fans are rather “industrial” looking, not something that would be designed from scratch for use in a PC these days.
Interesting--what is "industrial?" Do the Panaflos look industrial? (I am expecting a Panaflo M1A any day now.)

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:40 pm

Let's just say that the Panaflos are not clear, colored plastic, nor do they have any built-in LED's.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:48 pm

Whoa--so in order to be "designed for PC use," it has to be clear, and have lights of some kind?!? No thanks... hehe. I'm not much of a lights and show person. I think I prefer the "industrial" look. :lol:

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:36 pm

1) Obligatory mention of this in any discussion of silenx.com.

2) There is no way that any of those fans was actually measured at the noise levels reported on the silenx.com website. It's far from easy (or cheap) to measure noise levels that are that low, and I guarantee that if that testing was actually done, it would be written up on the website. See below for my guess as to where the values come from.

3) Earlier threads had seemed to think that the fans being used in the Silenx supplies were Adda AD0812DX-A70GL "lower than low" speed fans. Judging from the (kind of sparse) technical data at silenx, I'd say that this is probably right. Especially note the mention of "Hypro" bearings, which come only on Adda-manufactured fans.

4) It seems to me that most of the fans come in some sort of default undervolted state. The technical data (particular CFM and rotation speeds) don't square up with those reported on Adda's website (google HTML cache). I think the noise ratings are extrapolated based on the degree of undervolting, minus a few dB for the included fan mounts.

5) The question of whether or not they're undervolted should be easy to answer: could someone that has one say whether or not there is a resistor somewhere along the power supply line for the fan? Or are all silenx fans thermal controlled? (It seems unlikely that an add-on resistor would be located on the fan control board in the hub.)

6) If the silenx fans do move the amount of air they claim at the noise level they claim, they're probably breaking some law of physics. Turbulent air makes noise, and there's no way they can get around that.

I've been trying to find a retailer that will just sell me some of the Adda AD0812DX-A70GL fans, but no one seems to stock them. I'd have no problem buying them from silenx, but 1) they're kind of pricey 2) they come with fan mounts that I don't need.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:55 pm

Looks like you can get ADDA fans here:
http://www.mouser.com//index.cfm?handle ... mber=66400

The AD0812DX-A70GL is available on that website. They cost $21.90 for 1 unit, but only $6.13 each if you buy 25.

Justin_R

Post by Justin_R » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:29 am

m0002a wrote:Looks like you can get ADDA fans here:
http://www.mouser.com/ [snip for brevity]
The AD0812DX-A70GL is available on that website. They cost $21.90 for 1 unit, but only $6.13 each if you buy 25.
I know. I guess we never got together for a group buy on them because SVC still had the $2 NMB fans. The real find at mouser is the AD0412LX-G70, a 40 x 10 mm fan that you can use for SFF PSUs, but their cost is outrageous (>$15, even in quantity, $27(!) for one).

exeter_acres

Post by exeter_acres » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:08 am

This thread is very interesting with some very interesting specs and arguments...
but...does anyone actually have EXPERIENCE with these fans??

I agree the specs sound too good to be true.
(I've been burned, I just threw away a Vantec "not-so-Stealth" because it was so noisy even at low voltage....

I am really intrigued by these Silenx ones...

and m0002a had doubts that a small company could have proprietary technology...
I have to disagree.. small companies come out with great products all the time... far better than the big guys, but since they do not have the marketing departments and the legal departments of the big guys, we (the consumer) never have seen them...

The joy of the web is that the small guy can compete a bit more with the big guy....

Just my .02 adjusted for inflation...

but I am still curious about the Silenx (are you guys going to make me buy a couple??:))

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:25 am

Small companies do sometimes have better technology. But we are talking about manufacturing technology. There are far fewer companies that actually manufacture fans than you think.

Almost all of the fans from small "Quiet PC" companies are made for them by the large fan manufacturing companies, either as stock items that are simply relabeled, or custom made to their specifications (color, size, LED's, etc.). However, even when custom made to their specifications, the fan manufacturer is the one who owns the technology.

Also, SilenX is not just small, it is miniscule. It is basically a marketing company, not a manufacturing company. Even Panasonic can't afford to make fans anymore in Japan and they are shifting production to China.