Reliable (?) Fan database?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shathal

Reliable (?) Fan database?

Post by shathal » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:48 pm

Just got pointed at this site from another forum I'm on ...

http://gizzo.8m.com/fans/fan120.html

... since you chaps have got the "real world" experience - how reliable is the info on this site? If it's any good, it might make life a lot easier? :).

Also, as I guess, this site is somewhat "skewed" for "our" purposes, as (I guess) the site assumes that fans run at full 12V. Whereas most (certainl I) intend to (if not already do) undervolt the fans.

Well - hope it is a helpful bit at any rate :).

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:46 am

The info on that database is an OK starting point.
The downside is that it only tells you the numbers given by the manufacturer, and different manufacturers measure slightly different. Also they normally don't take vibrations etc into account.
You can use that database to find a few good candidate fans and then search the SPRC forums for more info on those fans. There are a few comparisons between the good fans in each category.

I believe that MikeC is doing a great test of fans (60mm to 120mm) at the moment. Once that test is finished we will have a lot more complete and objective data than any of us can provide.

Cyberpukish

Post by Cyberpukish » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:31 am

Anyone tried papst 4412FM fans? i know they are loud but if i run them at 7V wat is the result?