My "luck" with fans...

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DG

My "luck" with fans...

Post by DG » Mon May 31, 2004 2:56 pm

So...Recently i bought a Papst 4412FGL (120mm) and i was VERY disapointed with it. At 5v has a strange sound (like a little steam locomotive) and the airflow it's basicaly 0 (zero)...At 7v it's noisy (engine noise) and still low airflow. At 12v it's more noisy (terrible engine noise). It's made in Hungary...:(

Then i bought an Evercool 120mm Model EC12025M12C , plastic model:http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/produc ... uctid=1497
At 12v it's very noisy (but ONLY from the massive airflow), at 7v it pushes more air then the 7v Papst, but it's a bit more noisy (again, only smooth air sound). At 5v it pushes a LOT more air then the 5v Papst and it's silent. The BIG PROBLEM with this fan is, it's NOT starting at 5v. ONLY at 6.5-7v !!!

So i am thinking to buy the ALUminium version of this fan, maybe that will start at 5v (as i red in this thread: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=7274)... :roll: Or the Titan ALUminium 120mm fan (medium), i red it's the same thing.

I really don't understand why the plastic version starts at 7v and the aluminium starts at 5v. I thought they were indentical..

p5

Post by p5 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:58 am

never owned an aluminium evercool before.

but i have owned 2x 120mm plastic evercools for about a year now.

One starts fine at 5v.

The other doesnt, and requires a push to get it going, and is then content to continue at 5v.

bomba

Re: My "luck" with fans...

Post by bomba » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:09 am

DG wrote:So...Recently i bought a Papst 4412FGL (120mm) and i was VERY disapointed with it. At 5v has a strange sound (like a little steam locomotive) and the airflow it's basicaly 0 (zero)...At 7v it's noisy (engine noise) and still low airflow. At 12v it's more noisy (terrible engine noise). It's made in Hungary...:(
This is not the norm for this fan, should be virtually silent at 5v and air whoosh only at 7v. Your 4412 is likely defective.