Q-Tech 544TC Temperature Control Bay LCD

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

martinreed22

Q-Tech 544TC Temperature Control Bay LCD

Post by martinreed22 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:30 am

Anyone got experience of this, or any pointers to reviews (no luck with google):

http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13952

In particular, I'm curious about the temp response curve and whether it will work OK with 2 lead fans that I have eg L1A.

cheers, martin

martinreed22

Post by martinreed22 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:11 pm

Bump. Anyone?

Steve Rosenthal
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Steve Rosenthal » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Looks like a repackaged version of the Kingwin controller.

Kind of curious about this one myself.

--Steve

martinreed22

Post by martinreed22 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:05 pm

Steve, many thanks for the link. Does indeed look to be the same unit. More links on the Kingwin site.The following is good info:
http://www.systemcooling.com/kingwin_th ... er-03.html

Disappointing that the start of each temp range is 25C - that's more like an ambient temp than something you would realistically find inside a quiet system. That is, I've deliberately traded off higher internal temps for less noise.

Also, seems like 25C gives more than 50% voltage eg 6-7V.

Oh well, perhaps one day we will get a truly programmable unit. Given that there is in all likelihood a microcontroller buried in there somewhere it is a shame that basic parameters can't be set.

cheers, martin

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:23 am

I do not have any experience with this unit and, frankly, I do not want any :) It seems there are too many functions for my liking. My favorite is currently the thermometer for Lian-Li cases like this one: http://www.lian-li.com/product.php?acti ... &prdid=798

They fit into a standard case if you are willing to work the sides a bit with the sandpaper. They have two thermal probes and two large screens. I think anything else is an overkill. Unless you want to have a second small computer hanging in front of your big one as a matter of taste :)

martinreed22

Post by martinreed22 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:18 am

Hi Tigr. I think we have different needs. I would love to have a front panel (= ease of access) unit which can tell me internal temps AND can provide programable fan control. Programable to me means setting a voltage curve (or at least straight line) between min and max temps. Also with programable min and max voltages. That is not exactly rocket science.

I want minimum possible noise when nothing is happening inside the box (which is most of the time). I'd rather have something more subtle than a row of switches to turn the fans to turbine mode. I'd built it myself if I could be bothered, but I can't :-)

cheers, martin

Steve Rosenthal
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Steve Rosenthal » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:27 am

Hi Martin,

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I've tried working with Speedfan (see the links page), and while it's 90% there in terms of fan control, it's that remaining 10% which is show-stopping for me. (Fans spin down completely when trigger temps are reached and I can't seem to work around it; fans spin down completely when exiting SF -- yikes!).

I'm really curious about the Thermaltake Hardcano 12, pricey as it is.

Thermaltake's page

Review at Overclocker's Cafe

My only misgivings about it (price notwithstanding) are that it appears also to be a hard drive cooler, which in my mind means more fans -- although I've yet to see any pics or statements to corroborate. Also, while it seems more flexible in terms of temp-based fan control settings than anything else I've seen so far, it still has it's limits.

I hope MikeC & crew can get their hands on one for a proper review.

:)

--Steve