software control over fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

software control over fans

Post by dan » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:25 pm

hello,
my soyo motherboard has a cpu 3-pin fan connector, chassis 3-pin fan connector, and a system 3-pin connector.

soyo's default cd comes with smart guardian, which lets me lower the cpu and chassis 3-pin connector via software from windows, but not the system fan.

soyo's download website www.soyousa.com lets you download a hardware monitor that lets you reduce the rpm of the chassis and system fan, but not cpu fan.

is there a program that lets me adjust the rpm of all three 3-pin connector fans, cpu, chassis, and system?

thanks
dan

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:47 pm

There may be 2 programs that could do this :
1. Speedfan
2. Fanspeed

Google either. Good luck!

bomba

Post by bomba » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:11 am

Since the 2 aps you mentioned are together capable of adjusting all 3-pin fan headers, speedfan should do you well. Can't comment of fanspeed since I haven't tried it. Speedfan does not kick in until the OS is fully booted and user logged in. IIRC, fanspeed differs as it runs as a service and is active at all times.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:40 am

thanks bombayand tay

i appreciate your recommendation. i'll download them and follow up on how well they work.

yes soyo under drivers has a program called smartguardian, which lets you controll either sys fan and cpu fan OR sys fan or chassi fan, but pervrsely not all three at the same time.

i would imagine ALL motherboard companies -- asus abit aopen etc offer such programs.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:16 pm

hello,
speedfan definitely works on my SOYO TISU, but when i turn off the computer, it doesn't "save" the settings so that when i log on, it is automatically set. any suggestions on how i can get it to save the settings so it automatically powers down the fans?

thanks
dan

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:28 pm

dan wrote:hello,
speedfan definitely works on my SOYO TISU, but when i turn off the computer, it doesn't "save" the settings so that when i log on, it is automatically set. any suggestions on how i can get it to save the settings so it automatically powers down the fans?
I dont mean to insult you by asking this question, but did you set it from the configuration screen with the speeds and temperatures tabs? You set the desired temperatures in the temperature tabs and the desired speeds in the speeds tab and it just works. If you have an nforce chipset board you can enable STOP GRANT disconnect in the advanced tab but dont enable HALT.

It just works for me *shrug*.

dan

Post by dan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:56 am

oh i'm not insulted, i just want to learn.

i did set the fans to "5% max" but everytime i reboot, it loses that setting

SOYO's SMARTGUARDIAN does keep the setting but it does not work with all 3 3-pin fans.

*shrug*
tay wrote:
dan wrote:hello,
I dont mean to insult you by asking this question, but did you set it from the configuration screen with the speeds and temperatures tabs? You set the desired temperatures in the temperature tabs and the desired speeds in the speeds tab and it just works. If you have an nforce chipset board you can enable STOP GRANT disconnect in the advanced tab but dont enable HALT.

It just works for me *shrug*.