Tom's Hardware Guide "Fighting Fan Noise Pollution"

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

who1zep
Friend of SPCR

Tom's Hardware Guide "Fighting Fan Noise Pollution"

Post by who1zep » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:30 am

PC Fan Noise Relief

There is almost no PC hardware anymore that can get by without a fan. Now, the CPU, the graphics card, the motherboard and the case all require fans. If low-noise fans are not used, the decibel level quickly goes up to over 50 dB(A), which becomes unbearable. However, fan controller solutions exist that can help mitigate this noise pollution factor.

THG tested 15 fan control devices which, at least according to the manufacturers' specifications, are able to reduce noise levels effectively and cleverly. The basic premise is that fans do not always have to run at top speed and can be adjusted. With normal office usage, only low revolution numbers are necessary. Only with games or computing-intensive tasks do chips produce excessive heat. In those situations users generally can't escape the noise.
Read the full article published 6/15/04 here

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:44 am

Bonus points to any SPCR reader that can pick out the Sunbeam Reobus from all those units in the picture!

Mr.Radar

Post by Mr.Radar » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:59 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Bonus points to any SPCR reader that can pick out the Sunbeam Reobus from all those units in the picture!
It's the third one up on the right with the insanely bright LEDs. Also, that roundup sucks very badly. They don't even tell you how many watts/channel the controller supports!

burcakb

Re: Tom's Hardware Guide "Fighting Fan Noise Pollution&

Post by burcakb » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:07 pm

PC Fan Noise Relief
.... or computing-intensive tasks do chips produce excessive heat. In those situations users generally can't escape the noise.
Yeah, right. We folders keep our machines on 24/7 and wear mufflers when going to sleep. :roll:

Excellent example of how one can produce 30+ pages of BS

yermolovd

Post by yermolovd » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:24 pm

Bahaha. Well. That was quite a joke about picking out a Sunbeam controller.
/slightly OT
Yesterday i went to bed and left the pc on, and my bedroom is kinda around the corner from where my comp is. I only have zalman controller, but still, its kinda bright and annoying. I can't imagine how it would be with Sunbeam. :lol:
/slightly OT

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:26 pm

This has already been posted.

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:46 pm

I can speak from experence on the sunbeam..... When I actually used the Sunbeam the computer was in the same room I slept. I had to open a book and put it on top of my computer so half of it covered the lights to get some sleep. I do believe that MikeC showed an easy way of taking care of it. My solution was to remove it... anyone want one, PM me?

chucuSCAD

Splinter

Post by Splinter » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:10 pm

yermolovd wrote:Yesterday i went to bed and left the pc on, and my bedroom is kinda around the corner from where my comp is. I only have zalman controller, but still, its kinda bright and annoying.
A little bit of bluetak over each LED is your best friend :P

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:41 pm

*chuckles*

It actually serves as a peculiar nightlight, in my case.

First reaction was "fucking hell, that's a lotta light from a few LED's..." but since it doesn't really stop me sleeping (being below bed-height), it's fine.

It's still just rather amusing that I get this much light from a mere 3 mesely LEDs ... :)

inertia8

Post by inertia8 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:41 am

Hmm, so if I were to watch any scary movies... a sunbeam would soothe meh to sleep?