Using more case fans than # of 3-pin connectors on MB

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mfeller

Using more case fans than # of 3-pin connectors on MB

Post by mfeller » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:01 am

I have a case that has locations for 4 80 mm fans (2 in front, 2 in back). I am getting ready to swap out the ones that came with the case for quieter ones, maybe the Panaflo. The motherboard has only two 3-pin fan connectors. I know I can hack two of the connectors and connect it to the power supply 4-pin connectors--but I was wondering if there might be a more elegant solution. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--M

streety

Post by streety » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:36 am

Unless you buy some male 3-pin connectors I don't know what else you can do. Even this way you would still need to do some soldering, though it would look neater.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:09 am

Nope....

Also consider that there's often a power draw limit on the 3-pin connectors, so even if you COULD 'multiply' them, you would be limited by that power restriction.

Though Panaflo tails come seperately, so you could solder two tails together to form one 3-pin connector. Still though, I wouldn't recommend it.

markjia

Post by markjia » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:06 pm

If you want to connect them to the motherboard, there is no way to do it without soldering (and if you hide the solder points within the connectors, it will look pretty clean). But be careful not to solder the fan speed connectors together...I can only guess what that would do, but am pretty sure it will not work, and may even damage the MB and or fan.

The other option is to use something like Zalman's 4-pin molex (the kind used for HDs) to 3 pin adapter. Each adapter provides 2x5V and 2x12V connectors. Of course this means that you cannot connect them all to the MB (but you do sort of have control of the speed)

markjia

Post by markjia » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:14 pm

Actually, what's the point of connecting all four to the MB? you can only possibly monitor 2 of them. Do you want to try to control the voltage on all four? If so, why not just use something like the Zalman adapter to set 2 of them to 5V, and software control the other two.

Though honestly, why do you even need 4 fans? it is probably over kill. And if you system really needs it, there is probably problems with its airflow.

markjia

Post by markjia » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:16 pm

Oh one last thing...

The panaflo doesn't have speed monitoring (not most of them anyways). So there is less point in using them with your motherboard (aside from forcing a lower voltage).

mfeller

Post by mfeller » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:40 am

1. For the connectors, I do not care that they connect to the motherboard, only that most fans that I look at have the 3-pin connectors, and I have a couple of those available on the motherboard. But for 4 fans, I would need to connect the others to the 4-pin connectors off the power supply. I did not know adaptors were available.

2. Right now, the case has 2 loud, high-RPM 80mm fans, with two empty locations on the front of the case. I want to replace those with quieter fans, either with the thermistor built-in, or undervolting using Zalman fanmates. I have a couple of reasons for this. First, four fans at low RPM would do a better job than two, and would (I hope) mean that the whole PC would tolerate more heat production before the fans start ramping RPM. Second, my plan is to upgrade to dual CPUs, so I would like the cooling to be able to accommodate that at low RPM.

Thanks for your replies.

--M

streety

Post by streety » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:09 am

Zalman sell a multi connector that allows you to connects 4 3-pin fans to a 4-pin molex connector. Two are at the full 12v and two at 5v. This might be ideal for your needs.

It will allow you to connect all 4 fans and should save you a bit on fanmates.