Page 1 of 1

Some questions...

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:36 am
by Simonbun
Hi all,

Ive got a 120mm fan that i wish to hook up to a fanmate. Problem is that it draws its power from a regular molex for harddrives, cdroms and what not. The fanmate connector is, as u know, alot smaller. Is there any way i still can connect the 2? Mind you, i'm no expert on electricitystuff, but i am good at following clearly described steps ;)

Also, as a piggyback question... Can any harm be done in working with an upside-down placed PSU? I've got a lian-li v1100 and i inverted it so the cables would come out of the PSU compartiment better. I'm kind of puzzled as to the effects this may have.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:35 am
by teejay
You can simply buy a molex-to-3pin connector, check any nearby computerstore of webshop (can't suggest one without knowing your location). Alternatively, you can rig something up yourself but the adaptors are fairly cheap and easy to come by.

As long as you have a regular psu with a single fan at the back, inverting it should be no problem. Not so if you have a PSU with bottom-mounted fan (120mm or dual-fan models): you don't want the bottom-side fan pointing up.

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:55 am
by Simonbun
Ok thanks :)

/me shakes fist angrily @ SPCR btw... I thought, hey, why don't i give this silent pc thingy a go. Now my pc is pretty silent, but i discover that my screen (iiyama CRT) is making a strange buzz that i never heard before!
Now it annoys me greatly ehehe :D

I should have taken the blue pill so i'd have woken up without being bothered by a loud pc :(

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:20 am
by teejay
Didn't you know SPCR stands for "Swap Pc Components Regularly"?

So, swap your display... just don't kid yourself into thinking it'll end there :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:01 am
by Jan Kivar
teejay wrote:Didn't you know SPCR stands for "Swap Pc Components Regularly"?
Aye, that's true. MikeC should redesign the site logo again... :D 8)

Or put the following in the System Advice -forum's description: Did You know SPCR stands also for "Swap Pc Components Regularly"?



Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:26 am
by peteamer
A dissclaimer on the front page so as to warn people of the 'dangers' involved if they proceed into the site proper may be wise.

Health warnings about the addictivness and obssesive behaviour may also be prudent..... :lol:


Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:35 am
by frosty
This silencing stuff is for the birds and I am sadly you guessed a crow or eagle. Hooked. But I have got to a satisfaction point and finally ditched the paranoia of high temps.
And yes as you fix one noise another will creep up, also your hearing will get better or at least you become aware of noise around you more. This may be good or maybe bad, I don’t know. hehe.
I think the only reason my better half does not mind the tinkering is cos it is better than those ghastly killer video games and also the silent web surfing is very neat! tips hat to Mike.


Silencer’s Practicing Cooperative Renewal

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:59 pm
by mr pink
Back to the 1st question - Can you just slice the fanmate or resistor into the 120mm fan wiring?


Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:34 pm
by Simonbun
i went out & bought me a molex to 3 pin convertor thingie.

Cost me 3€ and voila :) There probably is some technique where you cut up both wires or something but i spared myself the hassle

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:58 pm
by teejay
mr pink wrote:Back to the 1st question - Can you just slice the fanmate or resistor into the 120mm fan wiring?
Back to the first answer: yes, you can but there's no need for "slicing". If your fan only has a molex connector, you can buy that convertor/adaptor which gives you the necessary 3-pin connector you can hook up to the fanmate. Only downside is that you don't get rpm monitoring from fans with only molex connectors.

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:23 pm
by mr pink