120x38mm AC fans - the ultimate quiet 120mm fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:36 am

Wow, you resurrected an old thread PS. lol

ferdb doesn’t seem to be able / want to spend as much time here, so you might not get an reply from him.

I will say you really don't need the Sunon on your XP120. A Nexus will do you proud. The same with your case, assuming it's clean and tidy for maximum flow and minimum resistively.

DrCR

_________

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:09 pm

DrCR... ummm whoops, I forgot to look at the date of the last posting! :oops:

But yea I just like really quite fans, and the mentioned greater CFM/dbA sounded rather appealing to me... it surprised me that there wasn't more interest in this thread... people are willing to shell out >$150 for new "good" cases (the P180 comes to mind), but aren't willing to spend a few hours working at making AC fans work in their comps? I don't know about everyone else, but I have a lot more free time than I have free money. So if I could find some fans that are quiter than the nexuses and move more air than the nexuses, AND are CHEAPER than the nexuses, then I'd be willing to spend a day or two working on setting them up.

I may yet try to use those sunon's... but only if I have some extra time this summer. As of yet, this is all just fantasy for me, due to the fact that I'm stuck using an old case which only allows for 80mm fans :( But soon I'll be upgrading.. I was thinking about waiting for the Antec P180 (also it would require me to save $ for it), as it does look rather cool... but recently, I've been thinking that maybe it's slightly overrated, so I may just go with the Antec SLK3000-B, due to the fact that I already have a decent PSU, and it would be 1/3 the price of a P180. And of course, I have yet to get the XP-120, because first I need to upgrade CPU/Mobo :cry:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:17 pm

Just FYI, I don't think the Sunon fans are a good idea to use in combination with the XP-120.

It's got a LOT more weight than your average fan. I was tempted to say that it's heavy enough to kill someone with it, but I just picked up again, and it's not THAT heavy. But I'd certainly be a little reluctant to put it on a motherboard.

Then again, I AM a wuss when it comes to motherboard weight.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:07 pm

Where do you guys get your Sunon's A2123 models from?
Last edited by slimeballzz on Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:50 pm

I got one of the Sunon's from Digikey.

You can read where Ferdb got his fan.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:00 pm

Sorry meant to say just the A2123's :lol:

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:46 pm

From the first page of this thread, about half way down.
pdf27 wrote:
ferdb wrote: I had found these fans earlier on Sunon's website, but I can't find anywhere to get them. None of Sunon's distributors have them in stock. But thanks for bringing them up again, I think I'll make another effort to obtain some.
If it helps, I just found them in stock on the RS components website in the UK. I'm not sure how much international delivery is however, but RS are a very reputable UK company so probably won't give you grief about it.
Stock number is 468-5582, website is http://rswww.com and cost is £12.23 for a single fan. UK delivery is free for account holders and £5 otherwise.
Yeah still have it in stock too.

DrCR

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:09 pm

DrCR wrote:From the first page of this thread, about half way down.
pdf27 wrote:
ferdb wrote: I had found these fans earlier on Sunon's website, but I can't find anywhere to get them. None of Sunon's distributors have them in stock. But thanks for bringing them up again, I think I'll make another effort to obtain some.
If it helps, I just found them in stock on the RS components website in the UK. I'm not sure how much international delivery is however, but RS are a very reputable UK company so probably won't give you grief about it.
Stock number is 468-5582, website is http://rswww.com and cost is £12.23 for a single fan. UK delivery is free for account holders and £5 otherwise.
Yeah still have it in stock too.

DrCR

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:45 pm

Yeah, and I'm in the US. They'll probably deal internationally. I'll see if I can find vendors on this side of the pond tomorrow.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:59 pm

PS wrote:But yea I just like really quite fans, and the mentioned greater CFM/dbA sounded rather appealing to me... it surprised me that there wasn't more interest in this thread... people are willing to shell out >$150 for new "good" cases (the P180 comes to mind), but aren't willing to spend a few hours working at making AC fans work in their comps? I don't know about everyone else, but I have a lot more free time than I have free money. So if I could find some fans that are quiter than the nexuses and move more air than the nexuses, AND are CHEAPER than the nexuses, then I'd be willing to spend a day or two working on setting them up.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's remarkable how much work guys here put into their projects in general though. Maybe not always with Bit-Tech level bling, but definitly practical, where-the-grass-grows, modding. What good is that shnazy case if it sounds like a leaf blower lol.

Yeah, glad sthayashi mentioned that the AC fans are *very* heavy. Yet another reason not to pair it with your Thermaright. Maybe you could run a duct from your HS to your rear exhaust and put the Sunon there? Just a quick thought.

DrCR

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 pm

Sunon lists 3 sites for the DP200A-2123XST:

Allied Electronics

Reportedly, KSM Electronics and Norvell Electronics carry them as well, but I don't see a way of ordering it.
EDIT: FYI, I used this site to find the above out.

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:23 pm

DrCR --
I've been considering for awhile now the possibility of using a side duct for intake to a Nexus on an XP-120, then ducting the rear exhaust and around the heatsink, forcing air expelled through the fins to go out rear exhaust, and then forgoing the use of a fan on the rear exhaust (or like you said, maybe I could forgo the cpu fan, and stick with an exhaust fan only). That would cut the cpu off from the rest of the case, I imagine help maintain low temps all around.

Has anyone done this? It seems like a somewhat obvious idea... maybe it would be hard to implement. Maybe this isn't exactly the right thread/forum for this discussion... maybe I'll start something up in system advice...

But maybe for now... I'll just post it here! :lol:

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:21 am

Nice link sthayashi. About have the price of the UK site when you consider the exchange rate. Obviously a lot easier to get too.

Ducting can work, but only in a limited number of cases (clarification: not a 'computer case/chassis') is the machine really benefited. There are a lot of guys using ducts out there. Try a simple forum search. :)

DrCR

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Mon May 09, 2005 7:51 pm

I'm still interested in these fans... but I'm not necessarily ready to go try it without any real idea of what I'm doing (as I mentioned before). I would still really appreciate it if some who is using these fans would take some photos and write a short step-by-step guide for those of us interested in adding AC fans to our rig...

I think it would be worthwhile, personally... :)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

The price seems to have dropped a lot for Allied Electronics Sunon fans. I've ordered their catalog and when I can find an appropriately sized and priced variable resistor, I'll give it a shot again.

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Tue May 10, 2005 12:57 am

Thanks, sthayashi!! :D

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:06 am

PS wrote:I'm still interested in these fans... but I'm not necessarily ready to go try it without any real idea of what I'm doing (as I mentioned before). I would still really appreciate it if some who is using these fans would take some photos and write a short step-by-step guide for those of us interested in adding AC fans to our rig...

I have (finally!) got a pair of the A2123 fans up and running in my new PC, so I'll do a write up of the whole build and stick it up somewhere just as soon as I can get my paws on a digital camera (couple of weeks probably). Biggest problem was mounting the one on the radiator (it's really rather heavy), the electronics was a piece of cake - 5 minutes with a soldering iron. It does help that I was already using AC in my case for the pump however.
I'll stick a link in this thread once the descriptions are up.

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:34 am

since i'm a place called - "never Nexus, never papst, never panaflo" always sunon and since i've been reading this thread i decided to go for this solution that scares a lot of people, using 220V AC fans in your PC.
so i did, i ordered them from one of the stores in my country [some lost place in europe called Romania].
at the moment i'm caught up with school and other things so i can't quite keep a steady flow on information for you people about these fans.
getting back to the subject, i received them. turned them on - at 220V LOUD - moving a lot of air. Since i'm very time restricted i didn't have time to build a fan controller for them. them, yes, i have 2....so I decided to run them serialized, that way they will have 110V running though them.
they were set upright on my carpet and i plugged them in....they start out very slowly, takes them like...10 seconds to get to their full speed. I can't say i'm an expert about the way the fans SOUND, identifying the types of sound a fan makes, but from what i could tell the only thing i was hearing was airflow noise. and it was not silent, u could slightly hear them standing 1.5m above them. at 110V they moved a lot of air, i can't say how much, i had a small pharmacy envelope 1m away from them, it wiggled from the airflow.
another thing i noticed about them....they were VERY sensitive, noisewise to the restricitiions i placed upon fan intake. I moved my hand close to the blades , where the air was sucked through the fan, and the noise was rapidly increasing, both of them reacted the same, so if u are plannning to make them suck air through your heatsink, probably not a good idea.
I Did the same thing to the exhaust of the fan, the increase in noise was either very small, or non existant. these tests were done with my ear almost stuck to the fans, so i could hear as many sounds as i could.

I can say i'm sort of impressed, without doing too much tweaking on them, just running them at 110V, i'd say they are promising, maybe at 90V they could be the best thing after the nexus.
i haven't had a chance to mount them in my case...because the case it'self is work waiting to be finished, but i feel confident that these 2 could manage to cool my A64 venice my HDD and the chipset. i plan on making a tunnel with these 2 fans at the ends, a push pull mechanism. intake at the bottom and exhaust through the back near the CPU, next to the PS2 port on the MOBO.

i'll report back when i get more work done on my ideas, and hopefully i'll have something u can compare noise to :)

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:17 am

one more question... how do u connect the pot?
in series with the fan? and then add capacitors if u need to run lower?
what power did your pots claim to be absorbing ferdb?
edit: nvm seen it in the catalog.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:26 pm

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I am wanting to get some of these fans :wink:

Just a few questions :roll:

Is it 5 blades or 7 blades? I am wanting the 7 bladed version like the one in this picture which I believe is the new fan like the one in this picture:
However when I look in the catalog it only shows 5 blades.... :?:

I live in Canada and the standard voltage is 120V. Do I buy the 115 or 220-240V one?
I am wanting to run the fan at the lowest settings possible.

From the catalog I'm guessing the model will be one of these:
A1123-HST
A1123-HSL
A2123-HSL
A2123-HST

If I do get the one with terminals is there anything I can buy that I can plug it straight into and control the voltage?

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:25 am

i for one don't know where everyone else managed to get their 7blade fans from, but the SUNON catalog lists only 5 blade models, i have the A2123 - HST and HSL and they bost have 5 blades, so your best chance is u will get 5 blades, if u don't ask the store in advance about the number of blades.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:49 am

DyJohnnY wrote:i for one don't know where everyone else managed to get their 7blade fans from, but the SUNON catalog lists only 5 blade models, i have the A2123 - HST and HSL and they bost have 5 blades, so your best chance is u will get 5 blades, if u don't ask the store in advance about the number of blades.
I will be calling them sometime this weekend or early next week and be asking them about the 5 or 7 blades. If they don't have 7 blades then I won't be buying any fans at all and stick with my 4412 F/GL's.

Do you have any pics of the fans/setup?

I just wanted to see the terminals of the fan and how you set them up because I am very new to this.

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:47 am

The terminals are bare wires or simply pins that u can solder wires to, depending on the L, or T ending on the part name.
and i wouldn't say the fans are bad with 5 blades, i have 2 of them of 220V that run in series at 110V each and they push a lot of air even at 110V, they do make some noise airflow noise, i've never had a nexus, but there is no motor noise from them, only airflow and u fan further undervolt them, i run mine at 110V cuz right now i'm too lazy to make a rheobus, and i want to keep my venice at 2500Mhz and 47 degrees, the XP-90 is fanless and cooled only by the airflow of the two sunons.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:20 am

ferdb wrote:I haven't had problems with any of the 230V fans I've got running at 120. The Sunon 2123XST start and run at 80V. at 120V they do about 1200 rpm. It turns out the 230V fans are easier to work with than 120V fans because of the higher winding impedance etc. it's also easy to boost the effective voltage on the fan with a series Capacitor to around 150-160V.
Does this also mean it will be easier to bring down the voltage to a minimum with the 230V fan? (just enough to start the fan)

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:19 pm

pdf27 wrote:
PS wrote:I'm still interested in these fans... but I'm not necessarily ready to go try it without any real idea of what I'm doing (as I mentioned before). I would still really appreciate it if some who is using these fans would take some photos and write a short step-by-step guide for those of us interested in adding AC fans to our rig...

I have (finally!) got a pair of the A2123 fans up and running in my new PC, so I'll do a write up of the whole build and stick it up somewhere just as soon as I can get my paws on a digital camera (couple of weeks probably). Biggest problem was mounting the one on the radiator (it's really rather heavy), the electronics was a piece of cake - 5 minutes with a soldering iron. It does help that I was already using AC in my case for the pump however.
Hey did you manage to get a write up? I'm really interested on seeing how your setup went. :wink:

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:06 am

slimeballzz wrote:
pdf27 wrote:I have (finally!) got a pair of the A2123 fans up and running in my new PC, so I'll do a write up of the whole build and stick it up somewhere just as soon as I can get my paws on a digital camera (couple of weeks probably). Biggest problem was mounting the one on the radiator (it's really rather heavy), the electronics was a piece of cake - 5 minutes with a soldering iron. It does help that I was already using AC in my case for the pump however.
Hey did you manage to get a write up? I'm really interested on seeing how your setup went. :wink:
Sorry for the delay, don't come around here much nowadays (PC is properly silent, even by SPCR standards :D).
Write up here: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... light=tj06

Current loudest part (by quite some way) is a Seasonic S12 at minimum fan setting.