Sonatas 120mm fan+ controller?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OVI

Sonatas 120mm fan+ controller?

Post by OVI » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:12 am

Hello All

This is my first post so bear with me.
I've got an Sonata case in which I've been building my system.

My problem is that the stock 120mm rear fan is too loud even when connected to the fan-only molex. I tried it with 5v and the noise was ok.
But heres the thing, Ive got a Vantec Nexus nxp-205 fan controller which I would like to use to control the fan speeds but it only adjusts from 7v to 12v. Is there any SIMPLE way around this because I'd like to have some adjustability over the cooling/noise. Or should I look for a quieter 120mm fan. And should I remove the rear grill, does it add fan noise?

Also the Vantec Fan Controller box says it shouldn't be used with cpu fans, Is this just because cpu could heat up too much if the fan was set too low?

Thank You in advance!

ferdb

Post by ferdb » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:34 am

I would buy another 120mm fan. A Nexus flows a decent amount of air at 12V and is very quiet at 7V so it should be able to flow enough air for your needs and also be the quietest while doing it. You will be happy with a 120mm Nexus fan.

Fan grills add a little noise, but their major effect is to restrict airflow so you need to run your fan faster to get the cooling requiered. The extra fan speed needed adds more noise than the grill really. If the grill you are talking about is punched metal holes in the case sheetmetal, then I'd cut it out and put in one of those wire type fan finger guards. If you are talking about a wire type grill that's easily removable you can try taking it off if you want to see the difference, but personally I don't like to leave my fan blades unprotected from the outside, and the wire grills aren't that restrictive.

Your assumption is correct, they don't trust people to use the Vantec Fan Controller on CPU's because of the potential for damaging the CPU.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:51 am

I have a Sonata with the rear grill hacked out. It made quite a big difference in noise terms. I also ditched the sotck rear fan for a Nexus 120mm RS and have it running at 7V/600RPM off the fan controller. It's inaudible to me now. I had to add another Nexus 120mm though to cool my 2 Samsung's suspended in elastic but again this is inaudible. I hacked away some of the front panal that was out of view to let more air in also.

The Nexus PSU with it's grill removed and the 2 NIDEC motor Samsung's are now the loudest compnents in my PC. I'm getting an Antec Phantom and going down to 1 Samsung in the future.

BTW if you still have the stock PSU I doubt your main problem is the rear fan. Have you tried sticking something in to stop the PSU fan? Even at it's lowest RPM it was louder than my stock rear fan on the 5V line.

OVI

Post by OVI » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:35 am

I've already swapped the stock psu fan to a PAPST 8412N/2GM (34,1cfm, 26dB, 2600rpm) and i'm also making an air channel for the psu from one of the cd/dvd-rom bays. So psu noise is under control.

Perhaps i'll go for a nexus, like you suggested. And after that I'll remove the rear grill if needed.

Thanks for Your Advice

OVI

Post by OVI » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:28 am

Now Im pleased with my setup.
I bought an 120mm PAPST4412FGL and replaced the stock rear case fan with it. I placed the stock antec fan inside the case behind the hdd which cools the hdd and mb considerably. Then I wired the nxp-205 fan controller to run on 5v (now adjustable from around 3.5 to 5V) and both case fans are now running at 4-5v. I also installed Cpuidle which lowered cpu idle temps approx 10C and enabled Qfan (mb asus a7v600) which controls my cpu hsf(lower rpm now).

Now even my wife agrees that the comp is pretty quiet ;)