E-A-R fan mounts and silicone fan gaskets?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LH

E-A-R fan mounts and silicone fan gaskets?

Post by LH » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:50 pm

If I install a case fan using E-A-R fan mounts, will there be a small gap between the case wall and the fan's frame? If so, should that gap be filled in with something like a silicone fan gasket?

I doubt I'll need a silicone fan gasket for its vibration-reducing property, since I'll be using a Nexus fan (which is supposed to have very little vibration) with E-A-R fan mounts, but it should be an excellent gap-sealer. However, I'm not sure a fan gasket will be compatible with E-A-R fan mounts, since I've never used either before.

I suppose I could use weatherstripping foam instead of a fan gasket.

Any thoughts on this?

silverback

Post by silverback » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:13 pm

The gap is a good thing and is intentional. Less contact for less vibrations to transfer. The gap itself doesnt hurt anything. Even if it was your intake fan the air filter is typically on the other side so it would not be a problem.

LH

Post by LH » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:23 pm

silverback wrote:The gap is a good thing and is intentional. Less contact for less vibrations to transfer. The gap itself doesnt hurt anything. Even if it was your intake fan the air filter is typically on the other side so it would not be a problem.
Interesting... I think I read here and at AcoustiProducts that the gap might cause airflow issues, backpressure, or something like that. But like you said, less contact will result in less vibration. I'll probably just skip the gasket--at least for the time being.

Thanks for the response. :)

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:52 am

I think the gap causes turbulance... I have a gap with my fans, and the noise is LOUD.

Tiamat

Post by Tiamat » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:58 am

I am interested in this as well. I have a 120mm fan as exhaust, and there is that "gap". It seems that a small amount of the air it exhausts hits the metal, and comes back into my case. Should I just stuff air conditioner filter in the gap? I guess this is somewhat the same question the OP asked.

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:49 am

Sorry to bother you guys with this, but where did you get the E-A-R mounts? I found some once a few months ago, but now I need a few more and I can't find them :cry:

~J

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:48 am

OmegaZero wrote:Sorry to bother you guys with this, but where did you get the E-A-R mounts? I found some once a few months ago, but now I need a few more and I can't find them :cry:

~J
Mcmaster.com

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=8274

OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:40 am

Thank you =)

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:21 am

Aren't they still doing free samples if you email them at http://www.earsc.com?