panaflo L1a and connector

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bendit

panaflo L1a and connector

Post by bendit » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:03 pm

Hi, I am going to pick up a couple of 80mm fans. It comes with a two pin plug. The vendor is offering to sleeve the fan tail with a 3 pin connector? I don't really want to do much modding so should I get this option? Is this so I can use a fan mate on it and plug it onto the three pin connector on the MB? Thanks

mike

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:20 pm

That is correct. Go with the 3 pin. The 2 pin, to my knowledge, is only used for PSU fans, at least that's the ONLY place where I've seen 2-pin connectors *stares at his Super Silencer 460W A3.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:05 am

If the fan is not changed it will not do any good to have an additional wire there. If the fan supports it the 3:d wire is used to send pulses to indicate the fan rotation speed.
With a 2 wire fan you might need to cut off a small peice of plastic on the connector to make the connector physically fit, but that is the only inconvenience. It takes about 1 second to cut off the plastic, so that is the saving you typically get if you request 3 pin sleaving. Personally I would be willing to pay about $0.01 extra at most to get the 3-pin connector.