Preventing meltdown!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

KnightAzul

Preventing meltdown!

Post by KnightAzul » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:57 am

Hi,

In case of fan failure or fan control program crashing, etc. what is the best way to prevent CPU meltdown for an AMD64 3000+? (I understand that the P4 are thermally protected and would automatically start to throttle, whereas AMD64 does not do this).

I looked in the BIOS but didn't see any specific option in there apart from fan speed control temp thresholds. Would it be normal to find such an option: "Shutdown if 68 degrees is reached" in the BIOS?

If the BIOS is unable to do this, is there "simple" temp monitoring prog out there which can shutdown the PC based on some max temp threshold and also keeps graphs of temp/cpu usage over time?

Thanks,
KnightAzul

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:13 am

The AMD64 based processors have a thermal protection in hardware.

The older XP bases processor didn't have such a feature thus requiring such a feature on the mainboard.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:38 am

Yeah, almost all oem motherboards I've seen recently have a shutdown option if the processor gets too hot. This means if your fan dies, your processor temperature will creep up to whatever temperature you have set in the bios and then your computer will shut down.

KnightAzul

Post by KnightAzul » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:41 am

The AMD64 based processors have a thermal protection in hardware.
Thanks for the confirmation. I can now stress test my pc overnight with Prime95 and not wake up in the morning to a possible melted AMD64 cpu!

KnightAzul