1 120mm at full blast or 4 X 80mm at 7V

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

warlock110

1 120mm at full blast or 4 X 80mm at 7V

Post by warlock110 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:07 pm

I got a sunbeam reobus and it's got 20watt per channel, so controling fan is at ease for me :). The problem is, what's better? i have a yaleloon 120mm spinning at 1200RPM compare to 4 of these
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 007&depa=0
at 7 volt? what would give me more airlfow and what would give more noise?[/url]

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:25 pm

4 of those will be rather noisy and if not a recognised quiet fan they may not undervolt well. They will probably run at 7v but some fans get clicky or even buzz with fan controllers at lower voltages. 4 of them will, however, supply twice as much airflow than a 120mm yate loon, but will probably be at a guess 5dB louder (pulling numbers out of my arse based on a brief examination of the claimed sound output of those and the nexus equivalent yate loon fans taking into account voltage changes and number of fans).

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:52 pm

What's your location warlock110? The USA? If so, I would recommend checking out the *non*-ball bearing (BB) Mag Dog fan over at CompUSA. I'm planning on picking one up tomorrow myself since I don't know where to get my hands on a Yate Loon and Bluefront has given the MadDog a lot of praise. link

The specs say it puts out 60CFM at 12v. I really doubt you will need more CFM and 4x 80mm fans will indeed be noticably louder. What are you going to be using this fan for? Even if you do indeed need more airflow, I still wouldn't recommend a 4x80mm setup but a high CFM 120mm screamer instead.

DrCR

_________

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Here's what my set up is:
The front has 4 X 80mm as intake (at 7V)
The back has 2 X 80mm as exhaust (at 7V)
The CPU is cooled with an XP90 and the zalman 92mm fan that will be undervolt, i'm thinking like 5V
The CPU will also have a duct to the side with the yaleloon 120mm fan running at 7V or less
The graphic card is cooled by the Zalman Heatpipe sink ZR80 with a 92 or 80mm at 7V and also there's gonna be a duct on the graphic card to a 80mm fan or 92mm also at 7V
The computer is a Dual PSU, so far i have the Thermal Take PurePower, this one is not really quiet, it's more quiet than your average power supply, but not very quiet IMO
I'm picking up another PSU, i'm gonna look for quiet, but i want cheap cuzz this one will either power the Mobo+ CPU alone, or it will power my fans and light plus 2 fan controler (sunbeam reobus)
So that's it. any one have a recommendation for a quiet power supply? i saw the 520Watt TTGI with 3 fans for 40 dollar that have a fan control pot at the end, is that good?

BTW: i did a test and at 7V, all 6 of my 80mm fan makes less noise than the PSU itself, so i'm thinking that it's the way to go.
All my case "fan grilled" have been removed by me, i'm putting regular circle fan guard in instead, that will increase the airflow by a bit. Any advice on fan filter? and should i even put the fan filter in when the fan is only at 7V?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:02 pm

As usual, you can find recommendations for quiet PSUs and other components in the recommended section on the main site.

Get yourself a quiet PSU before you start thinking on how to set up the case airflow because those 10+ :shock: fans will surely be heard over the new PSU and then you will probably ask yourself "do I really need all those fans?".

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:08 pm

Tephras wrote:Get yourself a quiet PSU before you start thinking on how to set up the case airflow because those 10+ :shock: fans will surely be heard over the new PSU and then you will probably ask yourself "do I really need all those fans?".
That's good advice. The response I gave earlier was in response to the question you had which was which would be louder and push more cfms. If you have one thing that is significantly louder than everything else then it that is all you'll ever hear. Once you quieten that everything changes.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:30 pm

Whoah !!! That's a LOT of wasted airflow. You really don't need so many fans blowing in each and every direction. The name of the quiet game is *directional* & *low* airflow and yes it WILL cool your components.

4x80 intake? what for? 2x80 at the back at 7V - if good fans - should be enough to create necessary airflow. If you've got a lot of harddisks, then one intake to cool them might be appropriate but that's enough.

I think your CPU & VGA ducting ideas are flawed. If I understand correctly you'll have a duct pointing to each, with a fan at the intakes and another fan right on the components. That's only going to give you more noise, not better cooling.

And whatever your setup (you didn't give details), you WON'T need 520W. Lots of threads on this, do some reading.

So, where did we end up? Get yourself a nice bottom 120mm feed quiet PSU, ditch 3 of the front fans, ditch the CPU duct fan, ditch the VGA duct fan, and power EVERYTHING with your new PSU, you don't need seperate ones.

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:26 pm

people at the OCer forum are telling me that my PSU is not enough, i'm going for a 4ghz prescott. I can ditch some front fan, maybe 2. and also the graphic card duct. Here's what i'm powering my CPU:
As8 with a Celeron D or a P4, either way it's gonna be dam close to 4ghz with higher than "normal" votage, as i can't hit 4ghz with stock votage
The graphic card is probably a radeon 9600XT or higher.
4 HDD, 2 X 60GB in raid 0 and possibly 2 X 250GB in raid 0, not sure, but 3 HDD is gonna be the least
2X DVD burner. A nec 3200 and some other drive
Atleast 4 X 80mm, 1 X 92, and 1 X 120mm, i can't go any less than this without rendering the airflow as all fan are at 7V or less.
Sound cards
Fan control
2 Pair of cold cathod.
All i got is a thermal take purepower 420. You guys think it can take it? i don't wanna blow anything cuzz this is my main rig, i got 3 other one but i'm gonna use this one alot.

Can someone give me a good setup to keep this rig cool? here's what my case can do:
It's a small case, think of antec 2650.
The back can only take 2X 80, so i'm stuck, the front can take 4 X 80 or 1 X 120. The side has a duct that can take any fan's size. There is also a blow hole on the top if needed.
Thanks.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:07 am

warlock110 wrote: The back can only take 2X 80, so i'm stuck,
Do you think you could enlarge those to 92mm?
warlock110 wrote:The side has a duct that can take any fan's size.
Then why don't you get an XP120 and have the fan blow away from the heatsink, so that it doubles as a case fan and gets the CPU heat staight out?

Edit: since you already have an XP90, I'm guessing you can't fit a 120. While it won't be as effective, ducting the 92mm out should still help.
warlock110 wrote:There is also a blow hole on the top if needed.
Thanks.
You should be able to duct that to your PSU, if you have a normal one without any bottom fan, and if you would like to cool the PSU seperately. If you'd like to try that with the thermaltaxe, you'd have to get rid of the bottom fan(and you might have to make some holes in the rear grill). If you're worried that that fan is needed, you could try moving it to the back blowing at the same area. If you don't want to have to do any modifications like that, then I guess you'll need a new PSU.