The SilenX 120mm Ixtrema Quiet 11dbA

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Plotinus

The SilenX 120mm Ixtrema Quiet 11dbA

Post by Plotinus » Thu May 26, 2005 2:17 am

I was looking around for a quiet, but effective 120mm fan when I discovered the "SilenX 120mm Ixtrema Quiet 11dbA". Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this fan?

A brief review from overclockers.com
[url]http://www.overclockers.com/articles1192[/url

niels007

Post by niels007 » Thu May 26, 2005 2:37 am

As mentioned before, fan's aren't 'magic'. When a 1000rpm fan (nexus) produces around 20dba of noise, there simply is no way a 1200rpm fan can make 11.

The fan might even be good, but it won't be better than a Nexus.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu May 26, 2005 4:57 am

This same question has probably been asked 30 times here at SPCR. Please search for the posts. Thanks!

SpaceDreamer

Re: The SilenX 120mm Ixtrema Quiet 11dbA

Post by SpaceDreamer » Thu May 26, 2005 5:40 am

Plotinus wrote:Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this fan?
Yes, bad experience apparently. Search for "silenX" on the forums, apparently they can't be trusted.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Thu May 26, 2005 7:09 am

This testcompares many 120mm fans, including that SilenX and the SPCR favorite Nexus.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu May 26, 2005 7:17 am

I looked at the SilenX 120mm fan and it just seemed so familiar... Anyone ever compared two pictures of the SilenX and the new acoustifan dustproof? Couldn't find good enough pictures regarding lighting and resolution, but they do look similar.

I remember reading somewhere that the silenX was Yate Loon, but that's total bogus. Now the question is, who makes these fans?

FRAAAAANK!?! :)

EDIT: Nope sorry, some models are definately made by Yate Loon, but the models sold at KustomPC definately are different.

EDIT2: OK, just looking at the SilenX website, but that does definately look different from the fan in that german fan review. :?

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Thu May 26, 2005 7:55 am

SilenX is an Adda. Not sure about the dustproof.

hudson00

Post by hudson00 » Thu May 26, 2005 8:14 am

I have recently purchased a 120mm silenx fan (14db model). I am rather disapointed with it. Here are my complaints:

1. Closed corners: website shows open corner design, I had to mod it to get the vibration mounts to work.

2. 2 pin connector: website shows a 3 pin with RPM monitoring, I had to mod the connector to get it to fit properly

3. DOES NOT MOVE MUCH AIR: no where near the claims of the website.

4. Lots of Turbulance noise: bearing noise is inaudible but there is a great deal of turbulance noise.

I would recommend going with the nexus 120mm because I do not think you will be satified with the silenx.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu May 26, 2005 8:18 am

Thanks Chris!

Was browsing through the ADDA website. Didn't find a 100% match for the dustproof, but ADDA does make IP-rated fans (dust, water), so if it isn't a direct rebranded maybe they are making a model just for Acoustifan.

I'll try to dig in to this when I have more time.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri May 27, 2005 11:04 am

hudson00 wrote:I have recently purchased a 120mm silenx fan (14db model). I am rather disapointed with it. Here are my complaints:

3. DOES NOT MOVE MUCH AIR: no where near the claims of the website.
SilenX have repeatedly demonstrated that the will lie and distort the truth, even when confronted with the facts. This is only one of the reasons to stay away from them, unless you don't mind this sort of behavior from a company.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri May 27, 2005 12:31 pm

Hudson,

How do you know how much air the silenX moves? I own a number of different fans and I don't know how you can tell if the output of a certain fan matches the manufacturers spec without the proper equipment.

Even nexus models vary from 80 to 92 to 120 as far as construction. They do not have the same manufacturers. The 120 has closed corners, the others don't. I just don't find your comment credible. If you want to buy something based on its web site picture you're much more trusting than I am. Many people are surprised when they find the nexus 120, the globe or yate loons have closed corners, but the manufacturers were not trying to mislead anyone. Some fans have different frame options. You can order closed corners if you want. Some people prefer them.

They do have rpm monitoring according to all of the reviews.

Lots of turbulence but very little air flow. Please explain. I would not expect a fan that doesn't move much air to have a lot of turbulence. Your credibility is almost 0 at this point.

And who does ralf quote - The most unbelievable person in the thread. Do you need to quote hudson to make your point?

Seasonic is now using adda fans. SilenX is using adda fans. My guess is that mike just tested a fan that is very similar to the silenX. The adda in the seasonic is very good, almost as good as the yate loon - not according to me - according to mike. So now ball bearings are ok and we finally have an spcr test of a silenX fan - that's my guess. - FG

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Fri May 27, 2005 5:03 pm

Sorry for the outburst. - FG

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Fri May 27, 2005 9:32 pm

I'm happy with my silenx 120mm but I undervolt the crap out of it. The claimed figures clearly aren't real but they are quiet fans.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 28, 2005 6:35 am

frankgehry wrote: And who does ralf quote - The most unbelievable person in the thread. Do you need to quote hudson to make your point?
Because he brought up the fact that SilenX lies about their specs. I just wanted to reiterate this to all the SilenX apologists on this board that SilenX is a company that apparently has little to no problem lying to their customers and potential customers. If that's the sort of company people want to patronize, great.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat May 28, 2005 2:51 pm

In Australia they are one of the "Better" available options.
They are over priced underperformed - BUT available
I use Panaflo fans but have bought a couple of SilenXfans (80mm and 92 only) they are OK but not great and Downunder ,overly expensive + their "Specs." are total B.S.
But amongst limited options they are an option.
Lately in my last couple of builds I have been using Coolermaster fans and although not perfect are not bad (no bearing noise , good flow , a fair bit of wooshing that can be removed by undervolting) and a pack of 6 of these costs the same as one SilenX fan with similar performance .
I would not write off SilenX but it would be close to my last option -
You know! one behind Delta and one in front of Sunon .

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Tue May 31, 2005 6:42 am

wow, now that's what I call a flaming!

Of course you can have high turbulence and low air flow - what do you think happens when an aircraft stalls?

As for flaming someone for posting a subjective opinion - what's your problem? That's what people on here are looking for! The majority of posters on here don't have access to air flow and sound measuring equipment or even experience of 100s of different types of fan. Of course add the usual caveats, but don't go jumping down his neck.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue May 31, 2005 11:15 am

The word "SilenX" always brings out the best in people here. :lol:

I have used 40mm, 80mm, and 92mm SilenX fans myself. The 40mm is without a doubt the quietest 40mm fan I have used between Adda, Papst, and a few other odds and ends. I'd imagine that the SilenX is a Adda of some sort, but I cannot tell. The 80mm SilenX fans are certainly Addas. The 80mms I had were quieter than Panaflo L's, but I started to see inconsistent batches later on.

As others have suggested, if you read old threads on this board, SilenX certainly did not start out in a very professional manner. One could also say that their prices are high as well. Their performance claims are debatable as well, though what companies aren't? I will say this, if you buy something from them, they'll certainly send you the products. I had a questionable batch of fans, then they gladly replaced them all for me.

Would I buy from them now? At this point, only if I needed at 40mm fan. Doing a bit of reading here you'll notice most people would go for a Nexus/Yate Loon 120mm fan. If you can find them, ebm-papst fans are fantastic, no more clicking.

Good luck.

hudson00

Post by hudson00 » Tue May 31, 2005 12:16 pm

My first time posting on SPCR and I get labled as being not credible. I have been building computer systems for the last 10 years and I have a degree in computer engineering and yet I am not credible? I have purchased hundreds of fans over the years and I have bought 4 silenx fans. I have had good luck with the 80 mm fans but not the 120 mm. The web site claims 60 cfm air flow. When I compare the fan to adda, antec, and globe fans with similar specs, the silenx is found to move less air. I have not connected it to a flow meter but I can tell a difference in my system temps. I will admit the fan is very quiet though. When I purchased the fan the silenx site listed it as having rpm monitoring and open corners. This is the reason I purchased it over a 120mm nexus. When I got the fan it did not have rpm monitoring nor open corners. My intent on posting originally was to share my dealings with silenx products. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:39 pm

hudson00 wrote:My first time posting on SPCR and I get labled as being not credible....blah, blah.......... When I purchased the fan the silenx site listed it as having rpm monitoring and open corners. This is the reason I purchased it over a 120mm nexus. When I got the fan it did not have rpm monitoring nor open corners. My intent on posting originally was to share my dealings with silenx products. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish.
Hey hudson, it's OK, I love you!

No matter what else, at least you can recognize that SilenX lies about their specs. That's one brownie point in my book.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:09 am

hudson00 wrote:My first time posting on SPCR and I get labeled as being not credible...
Ralf Hutter wrote:Hey hudson, it's OK, I love you!
And to prove we all do, here goes: welcome to SPCR!!!

Besides, FG did apologize... I have found you can very easily read his temper from his posts: if he starts by addressing a poster with his/her full name instead of a single character (2 if he's feeling generous), you better watch out :twisted:

Finally, to add something at least a little bit useful to this thread: WRT the closed corners of your SilenX, did you see the fan corner cutting guide on this forum? Very easy to do.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:46 am

teejay wrote:...
:lol: ... :lol: ... 8) ...

frankgehry

Come back h00

Post by frankgehry » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:02 am

h00,

I hope you are still following spcr and will post again sometime as I'm sure you have a lot of experience to draw from. I've only built one system so what do I know other than I go overboard with some of my posts. I will try to be more considerate in the future. - FG

nici

Post by nici » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:40 am

Sizzle wrote:If you can find them, ebm-papst fans are fantastic, no more clicking.

Good luck.
I have heard Papst is incosistent nowadays, and i can say that the 120mm i have does have annoying motor and/or bearing noise at lower speeds, say 800rpm and under, but since thats where im running 120mm fans so its bad imho, all the five 80mm Papsts i have also have clicking. An no, i didnt use them with PWM. Plus they are easily the most epensive fans ive ever bought, i used to think of them as a high quality manufacturer, now i dont. 120mm and 80mm nexus are far superior to both in motor and bearing noise, and 120mm and 80mm Glacialtech Silentblade is significantly better. Maybe im just unlucky and have got 6 bad Papst fans, but they are so bloody expensive that this kind of inconsistency should be illegal.

On topic, if you can find them, go with Yate Loon/Nexus 120mm fans as mentioned earlier. I know the Nexus fans are very consistent, and have next to no "funny noises". Im not buying another Papst, thats for shure.