What are the different temp readings in my speedfan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BenW

What are the different temp readings in my speedfan?

Post by BenW » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:14 am

Got a load of different temps showing in speedfan and no idea what all but 2 of them are

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ben

silence

Post by silence » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:03 am

Hey Ben-

Is there any way to cross-reference the temps with the ones reported in the "PC Health" or similarly titled portion of your BIOS? If you do indeed have temperature reporting in your BIOS, boot into the BIOS and let the computer sit a while until a stable idle temperature is reached. Record those temperatures, then boot into windows, open speedfan, and do the same. Let the temps stabilize again (with nothing running in the background, or as little as possible) and see which temps match up. If the two you're questioning match up consistently with those in your BIOS, then you may have solved your problem.

Hope this helps,

-DG-

alglove

Post by alglove » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:49 am

It might also help if we knew what you have inside your computer. The "2C" reading could be inside your refrigerator for all we know. :? (I actually think this reading is being misinterpreted by SpeedFan, whatever it is.)

BenW

Post by BenW » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:11 pm

Yea i wondered what the 2C reading was, no fridges in there!

Don't think the BIOS has the temps in there, just tells me CPU temp and fan speed. Will have a look though

System specs are:

CPU - Identified
Samsung Spinpoint - Identified
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G
Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro (None of the temps match what ATI Tool tells me)
Crucial RAM
Sound Blaster Live
SilentX PSU
Samsung CD-RW/DVD Combo

Think thats it unless i missed something

BenW

Post by BenW » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:21 am

Well, the first temp1 and temp 2 are both just above ambient at the moment and the last temp 1 is below ambient temp.

I guess that means the last temp 1 can be disregarded aswell.

That leaves what? A northbridge temp? A motherboard temp?

alglove

Post by alglove » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 am

Your guess is as good as mine. :?

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:45 am

BenW wrote:Well, the first temp1 and temp 2 are both just above ambient at the moment and the last temp 1 is below ambient temp.

I guess that means the last temp 1 can be disregarded aswell.

That leaves what? A northbridge temp? A motherboard temp?
My experience so far with Speedfan and various motherboards is that there is a CPU temp (fairly easy to figure out which), and a "MB" temp, which isn't a chipset temp because it rarely (at least in my experience) gets above, say, 35C. So, my thinking is that it's just some place on the motherboard and essentially becomes a case free-air temp. It's probably one of the just above ambient ones. I suppose if you really wanted to know, you could start speedfan, open the case, and blow a hair dryer in there. :)

Your motherboard isn't listed on the speedfan site as supporting changing fan speed, but maybe it's too new. If you can somehow find the chipset model that your SM Bus is (though I have NO idea where you'd find that), then you can look it up here and it'll tell you how many temps it reports.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:03 am

Click Configure and look what sensors give what temperatures (the Chip column). There is a quite comprehensive list of different H/W monitoring chips on the SpeedFan page (as sundevil_1997 already linked), so you can check what you should see.

LM7x/8x/9x sensors are usually found, because some H/W monitoring chips emulate these. See if the readings are duplicates of the H/W monitoring chip (always show identical values); you can remove the checkmark from these.

Check what sensors BIOS claims to have. That way you have some idea about how many actual readings you should see with SpeedFan etc.

Cheers,

Jan

BenW

Post by BenW » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:40 am

Thanks, looked up the IT8712F which should show 3 temps (As it does).

LM75 should show 1 temp which it does but everyone who's commented on speedfan site says they got bad readings (like mine)

Didn't see ACPI on there though, whats this?

Ben

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:37 am

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I've been having similar problems with SpeedFan. My read out looks like this:

Code: Select all

Temp1: 30C  <---mobo
Temp2: 40C  <---CPU
Temp3: 17C  <---???
Temp:  126C <---???
Temp:  126C <---???
HD0:   29C  <---hard disk
HD1:   29C  <---hard disk
I don't know where the two "Temp: 126C" readings came from. As for the "Temp3" reading, it varies from 15C to 18C (ambient temperature is 28C). Because it varies, I suspect is an actual reading, although it is quite inaccurate. My BIOS only gives temperature readings for the motherboard and CPU. Are these three SpeedFan readings anything important, or anything that I should fix and be keeping an eye on?

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:59 am

Many boards have what they describe as 'motherboard' and 'case' sensors, your 1 & 3 (though 17C looks suspicious). The difference appears to often be a sensor on the bottom surface of a chip for 'mobo' and another on the top surface, exposed to air flow, for 'case'.

With MBM5 I currently have Case 26C, Mobo 25C (my labels, they could be the reverse), CPU 49C; one described by MBM as 'CPU Socket' shows 126C, no such animal in BIOS or Asus' own Probe software (which just shows MB 26C, CPU 49C). It doesn't react to Prime stress testing IIRC and showed the same 126C with my last (more effective but noisier) HSF which gave CPU around 40C, so I think it's safe to ignore it, along with other nonsense readings.

Remember, Speedfan, MBM5, etc, look at various addresses in BIOS and blindly report what they see. The motherboard maker may not be using all those addresses for his temperature sensors.