speedfan at 5%?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mr pink

speedfan at 5%?

Post by mr pink » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:05 am

Hi -

I'm trying out speedfan to slow down my power supply fan. It a zalman 80mm wired right to a mb connector with a zalman reisitor inline. Still the noisiest fan by far in the system.
My question is this.

Speedfan doesnt have any noticable noise effect until I get it down to 5 or 10%. At 5% I can barley hear it. I have it set at 10% now. My case temp as reported by mbm is 32 cel. It was around 28-30 before I started speedfan.
How will I know if the power supply is too hot?
and
Is it common to have to run speedfan at 5% to get quietness?

Thanks

cpemma

Re: speedfan at 5%?

Post by cpemma » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:11 am

mr pink wrote:Is it common to have to run speedfan at 5% to get quietness?
With a fairly quiet 27cfm 2000rpm 80mm YS-Tech cpu fan on my Asus A7N8X-E board, I got a progressive reduction in noise and speed from 100% down. I used to run at 75% (with a corresponding few degrees increase in cpu temperature) and the fan would automatically speed up under stress. Below 70% Speedfan's RPM result was very erratic, generally zero.

I doubt your fan is actually seeing 0.6V DC equivalent, it's possibly the way speedfan operates with your mobo chip and fan - Speedfan alone can't control fans, it persuades any existing fan control on your mobo to do so. So YMMV.

What does Speedfan show for your fan speed?

mr pink

Post by mr pink » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:51 am

thanks

at 5% it shows 1800 and it's really quiet.

10% 2000 +/-

20% and up 2100rpm +/-

Maybe I'll get a panaflo l1a.

If I do, should I hook it up to the internal p/s connector (where the stock one was connected) or the m.b.?

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:40 am

mr pink wrote:thanks
at 5% it shows 1800 and it's really quiet.
10% 2000 +/-
20% and up 2100rpm +/-
Maybe I'll get a panaflo l1a.
Hmmm...I don't think that's quite right. I'm not sure if 0% in speedfan equates to 0 voltage (or whatever the equivalent in PWM is). It probably doesn't. But all of my fans will have stopped long before 0% in speedfan.

My CPU fan doesn't really respond to changes until about 60%, and then it's completely quiet at 40%. So, 30-70% is just about the effective range of change.

You said there was a resistor in the line too? Is that dropping down the range of values speedfan has to work with?

Also, as far as not getting an rpm reading below a certain value....I believe if you go to the configure->advanced tab, and tweak the values for that fan (it's either the multiplier, or divisor, or something), then it helps speedfan to read the lower speed rpm's.

I don't know, maybe it's different per motherboard, and fan. I've just never heard of someone running a fan at 5%.

mr pink

Post by mr pink » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:52 am

maybe I'll try removing the resistor -